HF Summer Meet (Myrtle Beach: 7/25 - 8/2)

wannaBstuntin

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

depending on what time thursday/friday i get my car back i probably will be there first!

i drove by today and my car still isnt touched.. so i called my friend and he was like "are you serious?" cause he thought the other guy did more but he was like 'you WILL have your car by friday' so i think im good!! maybe.. kinda weird having all that new stuff on the car.. i dont want to run into any problems with the tranny/bottom end in MB

ps

the weather around here in on crack.. it'll probably be super pretty outside.. pour rain for like a half hour/hour and be back to sunny before you know it

Ok, now that i have internetz.

lets start with the car.

both of the tie bars are broken and pulling out of the cv boots. all of the cv boots are torn and mangeled to crap. also, apparently the steering rack is messed up.

now, these may not be huge problems when tooting around a little town for a few miles, but taking it across country through mountains, sandy deserts, and rain kind of makes it a big thing. these are things that i should have known about before taking the car from san diego to colorado springs, where im at currently.

dan, you say that you knew about these problems, and yet i wasnt told about it. maybe it slipped your mind or not, ill give you the benefit of the doubt. but those kinds of problems are serious. what would have happened if the steering rack broke and we were stranded in the hugely large desert where no one had phone service? yeah, it didnt happen, lucky for us.

the thing with the alternator, that can happen with any car. and we fixed it, no problem. but when the steering started going to crap in the mountains, trying to pull the car away from the road through some serious curves... well. as you can imagine, its not a fun experience. and these problems could have been fixed and prevented before ever leaving san diego. if only i had known.

thats my beef.

Im sorry that you have to come get the car. but im telling you, it is not safe to drive at all. there are too many problems with it.

im not trying to start and HF war or anything, i just want it known that we arent a bunch of dicks who are straight up abandoning you as some people might think. I feel somewhat betrayed because I was led to believe that the car was in good order except for the muffler, and then i was allowed to drive a car halfway across country without knowing of some potentially serious problems.

the car may be fine around town, but tooting around town doesnt put the kinds of stresses on it that a cross country trip would. i mean, if you drive a car with a grinding transmission for awhile, eventually, it will fail. the same thing goes for any mechanical device. if something is broken, it should be fixed. otherwise problems compound.

im sorry dan that the meet so far is turning out this way. i wish it could have started off on a better foot.

Rick, the only thing I knew about was the one axle on the drivers side the boot was leaking the grease out, and as I have said before, I tried to get that replaced through my lifetime warranty but the manager at advance auto parts was being a douche about it, and said no. I wasnt able to do anything about it, and wasnt planning at the time to have the car leave the state. Smitt took the car a week later.

You say I knew about the tie rods, but I dont know where you get that. I had no idea about the tie rods being broken. I didnt know the steering rack was fracked, the only thing i knew is that the steering rack had a little wobble to it, and it has been like that since I bought the car in December of 05. Those were the ONLY problems I knew the car had, and they were so small i never even thought twice about them. I've seen axles last forever with broken, torn boots, such as on Koffees white car, they were like that for about a year and a half, before he finally replaced them. They werent even having any problems either, he was just tired that they were always slinging black stuff on his wheels.

To me, it just seems as if you think I did it on purpose, where I know I didnt. I havent even seen the car in 4 months or so, and when the car left it ran and drove like a champ. Smitt rarely said anything about my car. The only thing I know is he told me once that he changed the oil, and I got on to him for not using an OEM filter.

Lina and I are looking into getting the car shipped to me, since it is looking like it will be cheaper. I budgeted what the projected cost of me going to pick it up and its about $1000, and I just got a text saying $625 if it is shipped is the cheapest so far.

Im going to call you tomorrow.

And Im sorry you are having problems with the car. Its not your responsibility to fix it or anything, but I honestly didnt know. I mean, seriously, I had planned on being there the whole time with the car. I would be in the same exact boat that you are in now, but I wouldnt have thought at all to check on the axle, and I didnt know anything about the tie rods.

look. i have to go through lina like a middle man.

im not hearing directly from you. everything i hear is from her.

you havent made contact with me at all. so it felt like you were avoiding the whole situation. which does look sketchy.

but dont get pissed at me.

im on here being polite trying to figure everything out. im not accusing you. i already said i was giving you the benefit of the doubt. what more do you want from me?

and besides, just because youve seen cv boots last forever, doesnt make it ok to not fix the problem, especially if youre asking a friend to drive the car across country for you.

you may be fine with driving a broken car with a "wobble" but its not right to pass the car on to someone you claim as a friend without warning them about potential problems. the wobble became a bigger problem. hence why we dont feel comfortable driving it to texas. i just dont see how you thought it was ok to not warn me about a wobbling steering rack.

*edit*

look, its a crapty situation. we can sit here and bitch and moan about it and make a big deal of it. or we can just settle it and move on.

I would rather move on.

Im not pissed at you or anything. Im glad you guys did get there safely, and I think this is a really stupid reason for anyone to be mad. I seriously never thought twice about the steering thing, it never affected me and I never thought anything of it. And I completely forgot about the axle, because in my mind and my way of thinking, it wasnt a big deal, so I forgot about it. I have the memory of a pothead, and I dont even smoke.

I didnt call you because I was under the impression you didnt want to hear from me. Lina told me to call you tomorrow, so thats what I was going to do.

If you are still awake right now, give me a call, but I dont wanna wake you up when you have been driving and are going to continue to be driving. Otherwise, Ill call you in tomorrow.

Sorry dude, I didnt know, and Smitt drove the crapt out of that car, I know how he drives.

Edit: If I had any doubt about the car making it, I wouldnt have had you pick it up. I thought it was going to handle the trip just as well as it did on the way to cali. It had no problems at all on the way there. The whole car seems to have gone to hell in the four months its been away from me.

Sucks guys. Its true. Crappy situation, but nothing you can do about it now.

One the one hand, I think Dan deserves some credit for trying to help the situation by lending his car for the trip. I also never realized you guys were gonna be making so many random stops with it. I thought you were going straight to Dan with it.

On the other hand, Dan, you probably should have told them about potential problems to watch out for or to be careful with the car.

Anyways.....moving on.....Rick, are there 4 of you driving in Lina's car now? How bad is that?

Also, how are you getting back now?

^ Yeah, they're all in Lina's car now, well as of tomorrow when they hit the road again.

It is a sh*tty situation overall, for everyone. I agree with what Ryan said about lending the car. I also told Rick that I think it was a little foolish that with the car being away from Dan for the four months or so, no one bothered to check out the car prior to taking it on the trip (be it this Smitt guy or anyone who was taking the trip). I can understand where Dan is coming from with a problem and not seeing it as a problem, and forgetting about it. My Sol had no reverse lights for quite some time and because I was so used to not having them I'd usually forget to tell anyone who borrowed the car about it, because I simply became accustomed to it and simply forgot. Granted, a lack of reverse lights only poses the problem of someone not realizing you're backing up, lol, and nothing breaking while driving (on another note, the lights are working again and I get more excited than I should when I back up at night lol).

Yes, Dan should have been upfront about any problems he was aware of. At the same time, since he wasn't in possession of the car for months, a lot can change mechanically (especially on a car of the age it is), so it should have been checked out prior to taking it anywhere. Regardless, what's done is done and everyone is safe so that's all that matters. It's unfortunate, it probably could have been avoided, but there's no changing it at this point.

Oh yeah, thats another thing I forgot about. My reverse lights dont work either....

Im sorry I wasnt thinking about the problems it had had. But thats all I can do about it now, is apologize and we can move on and try to get over this now. Lina is nice enough to find me a good price on getting the car shipped here, and doing that will save me about $400 or so. Id really like to still get to hang out with you guys and everything. I do have another car, so i might work something out. Im not sure yet, I need to still talk to everybody.

See if theyll still drive down there.

That was kinda my point: I didn't realize they were going to be doing all this sightseeing with your car.

Anyways, you all seem like you need to plan stuff a little better. lol

I have a 3 year old car and I'm still getting a Honda dealership to check it out tomorrow to make sure everythings functioning properly before this trip.

EDIT: Drew, I'll make a Photos/Feedback thread before I leave on Wednesday/Thursday.

umm soo be happy? :)

im worried about my car cause i havent had it and its gettin all that new stuff and i hope everything works good!!

sucks that the car broke like that.. :( but i dont think anyone is really to BLAME.. maybe the guy who didnt bother to check it or tell them about the problems it was having when they picked it up.. cause he was the one thats been driving it the past couple months so he would have known better then anyone

Just an update. Lina helped me with finding an auto shipper and told me the lady who has my car at her house was okay with helping to get it shipped here. I just scheduled to have the car shipped here instead of me going to pick it up.

if i had my car i would so do something crazy like drive out to texas and meet everyone and then you could go and someone could just ride with me

but i dont have my car and idk how yall would be gettin back hah

drive the hatch!

so okay my car SHOULD be done but we're pushing it.. cause i still need headlights, windshield, steering wheel, body work, wash the back end of the car, paint the front end, paint the rims, put on all of the axle/tie rod/brakes stuff on the driver side, put the new tires on the rims and get them on the car, alignment so its not goin all over the place, and new clutch, flywheel, bottom end, and tranny needs put in...

by thursday night/friday morning

and the guy who has the car is procrastinating like crazy

yah...

so IF i bring my del sol thats going to be like 2 or 3 del sols?, integra, and ryan has a civic and a hatch! cause hes driving it out here.. what am i missin for the honda group

p.s. im a senior member!! idk what that means but its cool and i think ive been one for a while :)

Look, im sorry the way things are turning out dan.

I have nothing against you man, and im not pissed.

im just disappointed that this trip had to turn out the way it did.

Can someone explain WTF is going on?

Lina's not tellin me anything and she's the only one who's number I have.

Sarah: I'm gonna try to leave as early as possible on Thursday. So I may be getting to MB earlier in the morning on Friday. What do you want me to do? Also, should I call the hotel and add an extra day? (check in friday instead of saturday?) - if I even can at this point?

see if you can add a day friday.. and if not you can just stay in my room

and like i said.. if you get here thursday night ill pm you my address here and you can crash here and we can go friday morning.. cause ill need to take you up on that you pickin me up thing if my car isnt done haha cause say you leave at like 8 am thursday.. IF it takes you 16 hours you'll be in SC by midnight.. what are you going to do at the beach at midnight on thursday? haha

but check in wont be till probably like 2 or 3 on friday so i was going to go play on the beach or something..

ryan you can just call me 2morrow and we'll figure it out or something

i talked to lina ealier and she said they would be here by friday...

this is the most dysfunctional meet ever!!! it better be fun!

Wow this is getting close! Wish I would have been there at the right time in stead of almost 2 month early! :( I hope you guys have fun, I wish I could have done more stuff like this when I was younger! I was into muscle cars, Chevelles, Cameros, and ect! Nopt really alot of meets and the like here for either imports or muscle! >_<

Archived