Nate's 91 Civic Hatch

CleanGSR

End of winter, all black. End of story.

And Nate the car is great with the drop. Def look into a fender rolling tool for the rubbing issue.

I'm with you. End of winter, I'm using aircraft stripper to get all the red underneath off and then I'll spray them all black. No need for the fender rolling issue since that only works in the back and I don't rub in back...only a little in front. I raised the front just a tad and it seems to have helped a lot so I think I'm good on the rubbing (or lack of).

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leaning much more toward a boosted D16z6 swap with a6 tranny. I could probably do that entire setup with around 200whp for the same price as a B18C1 swap. Then I could always build the D16z6 for a moddest 300ish whp. Plus the SOHC's make a lot more torque than the DOHC's.

sohc do not make more torque than dohc. torque comes from displacement. and dohc is simply superior to sohc , specially for top end. go with a B swap hung , honestly man. get yourself a gsr or b16 tranny and buy a B20B swap dude and put the B18B1 intake manny and intake cam in it. those cars love them. than save for a B16 head , lol , but until than , your car will be fast man. i know a couple guys rocking b20b swaps in ek hatch's(with above mentioned B1 manny but no intake cam)with just an LS tranny , and they are fun man , lol. the B18B1 intake cam is better than the B20B.

sohc do not make more torque than dohc. torque comes from displacement. and dohc is simply superior to sohc , specially for top end. go with a B swap hung , honestly man. get yourself a gsr or b16 tranny and buy a B20B swap dude and put the B18B1 intake manny and intake cam in it. those cars love them. than save for a B16 head , lol , but until than , your car will be fast man. i know a couple guys rocking b20b swaps in ek hatch's(with above mentioned B1 manny but no intake cam)with just an LS tranny , and they are fun man , lol. the B18B1 intake cam is better than the B20B.

True story.

What?!?!?!?! If torque comes from displacement, then the number of cams is irrelevant. Below are two 1.6L engines. Their torque specs are too close to even be considered different.

B16A1 - 158 HP, 109 ft/lbs

D16Z6 - 125 HP, 106 ft/lbs

The same for some 1.7L engines. Normally Cranny I agree with you, but here you're really not right.

B17A1 - 160 HP, 118 ft/lbs

D17A2 - 127 HP, 114 ft/lbs

Besides, it's his car...let him decide what he wants to do with it.

B16 is generally torqueless.

1.8/2.0 is where it's at.

Well, since without stroking one, a D series doesn't have a 1.8 or 2.0. I compared what was available. Even then, you're talking mid 120s to low 130s outside of the JDM B18C. Still, not enough of a difference to justify the extra cost. D series motors can be had for nothing.

Yea but how many high power d-series setups do you see in comparison to b?

Since I'm not really in the Honda scene anymore...none. That has more to do with people wanting easy power, and not looking into the potential of a D. I'm not saying that B series aren't better, but to say they're loads better is blatantly false.

Anytime I'd look into swaps I'd look for easy power.. B-series was fitting at the time for my situation.

Not discounting that, but Nate has already stated he wants a boosted Z6. It's actually a very good application for his hatch. It's kind of like DSMs in a way. Kids buy them because it's cheap and easy to make massive amounts of power. What they don't realize is that with everything, you get what you pay for. You can't start throwing parts on a DSM, or any motor for that matter, and expect it to run forever. There is a right, and wrong way to do things.

EDIT: When I had my ED hatch, I considered a B18A/B boosted setup. Then the car got wrecked and now it's gone.

In cranny's defense it's gonna be next to impossible to make a d16 into 2.0L, even boring out to 78mm nets a bit over 1.7.

However with a boosted z6 in that hatch he'll have enough power to have some serious fun.

Well, for some reason, all of the SOHC's that are built to similar power levels as a DOHC....the SOHC's always show a higher torque number. Some boosted D's get about the same amount of torque as hp such as a few I've seen running 175whp 175wtq or 200whp and around the same amount in torque. I hardly ever see that with a B18 and when so it's always the B18B's or B20B's.

We are talking about a D16 (1.6l) so the comparison would be a B16A3 (1.6l). I've never seen a crappy B16 running the same or similar torque numbers as they are horsepower numbers like I often see with the D16's.

What?!?!?!?! If torque comes from displacement, then the number of cams is irrelevant. Below are two 1.6L engines. Their torque specs are too close to even be considered different.

B16A1 - 158 HP, 109 ft/lbs

D16Z6 - 125 HP, 106 ft/lbs

The same for some 1.7L engines. Normally Cranny I agree with you, but here you're really not right.

B17A1 - 160 HP, 118 ft/lbs

D17A2 - 127 HP, 114 ft/lbs

Besides, it's his car...let him decide what he wants to do with it.

This proves my point. I should have said "relative" torque. Because a D16z6 built to the same 158hp as the B16A1 is going to have a lot more torque than 108 ft/lbs.

Set up a 200whp turbo'd B16 and a 200whp turbo'd D16z6 and the D series will have a lot more torque than the B.

You people talking about "high horsepower" D series builds.......start a new thread. I never said I planned to have a high horsepower build. I'd be shooting for 200whp at first. Down the road a possible 300whp once the motor is built, but I'll never be shooting for a high horsepower build (I don't consider anything under 400whp to be high horsepower).

Oh and there are plenty of "high horsepower" D's. Even in my hick state there is quite a few.

Oh, and I can do a Boosted D16z6 w/ 91 si tranny (200whp) for the same amount as a stock B18B1 swap and the boosted z6 would be much quicker than the B18B....even with a B16 tranny.

Back on track...here's a few pictures of the stance now that I've been "tweaking" the ride height.

DSC_6899web.jpg

DSC_6896web.jpg

Driver's side is set where I want it.....Passenger side needs to come up a little in the back still (see below)

DSC_6902.jpg

Thanks everybody. I stopped (for about 5 minutes) in an empty parking lot to take some "real" pics today. Here's the best of the bunch....let me know what you think. Oh and I got all 4 corners at the height I want (I think...lol) and rubbing is very minimal now. Oh...and it rides better raised. I'm suprised since these adjust the shock body instead of the spring which means I have the same shock travel regardless of height. I guess as low as I was was causing a bind on the bushings maybe which made it ride worse.

Before taking off

December0282.jpg

December0289.jpg

December0290.jpg

December0294.jpg

December0296.jpg

December0299.jpg

I played with some new techniques that I stumbled upon by accident in Capture NX. These are not HDR, but let me know what you think.

I wish me ED had looked like this. Mine was blue with body colored bumper covers, but I never had the time or money to do what I wanted with it. Glad you found something you like, that you have the time to work with.

I wish me ED had looked like this. Mine was blue with body colored bumper covers, but I never had the time or money to do what I wanted with it. Glad you found something you like, that you have the time to work with.

Thanks a lot. I'm happy to have found something I'm happy with too....and for so cheap. I honestly don't have time to "work with/on" the car which is why I'm glad I got it where I want it for awhile. Rims and a drop is all I planned and that is done. Now I'll just enjoy the (hopeful) reliability of 46,000 miles.

Thanks a lot. I'm happy to have found something I'm happy with too....and for so cheap. I honestly don't have time to "work with/on" the car which is why I'm glad I got it where I want it for awhile. Rims and a drop is all I planned and that is done. Now I'll just enjoy the (hopeful) reliability of 46,000 miles.

The low cost is another plus. I only hope that when, not if, my Talon is finished, it's as much fun as I plan it to be.

Archived