Nate's 91 Civic Hatch

CleanGSR

LOL, maybe a b16.

B20 would be cheap, torquey; and simple.

B16's are weak. I would never do a B16 swap without boost. B20 would be fun and fairly cheap, but not as fun as a boosted D. I've always wanted to have a boosted honda, so whatever motor I do will get a snail.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey the center caps didnt come from on those wheels did they?... i have some stock steelies and they have that same center cap... is that what you used?? im just curious cause i wanna do something like this now haha :laugh:

That's cool. Send me a price shipped on the mirror to 65559. Also shoot me a price on the si seats and pics of their condition. Of course, I'm guessing the shipping alone on the si seats is going to be as much or more than what they are worth.

35 shipped.

hey the center caps didnt come from on those wheels did they?... i have some stock steelies and they have that same center cap... is that what you used?? im just curious cause i wanna do something like this now haha :laugh:

Yes, those center caps were from my stock steelies. I popped them off, polished them up, bent the tabs and did a couple other things to make them fit. They are stuck to the wheel now so I'll have a fun time when I get new tires (they'll have to remove those), but until then they look nice.

how do you keep the lips with the polished look after sanding them?

I honestly am not sure what you're asking me. The big polished lip was actually taped off, not sanded. The tiny little red lip between the tire and wheel (if that's what you're talking about) is actually not as highly polished as the rest of the lip. I used something like 220 or 320 grit sandpaper to sand that edge. It is a slightly different "gloss" than the rest of the lip, but you don't notice it since it's back in by the tire.

(have no idea if what I answered is what you were actually asking me.

Yes, those center caps were from my stock steelies. I popped them off, polished them up, bent the tabs and did a couple other things to make them fit. They are stuck to the wheel now so I'll have a fun time when I get new tires (they'll have to remove those), but until then they look nice.

I honestly am not sure what you're asking me. The big polished lip was actually taped off, not sanded. The tiny little red lip between the tire and wheel (if that's what you're talking about) is actually not as highly polished as the rest of the lip. I used something like 220 or 320 grit sandpaper to sand that edge. It is a slightly different "gloss" than the rest of the lip, but you don't notice it since it's back in by the tire.

(have no idea if what I answered is what you were actually asking me.

yeah thats what i was asking.

but does anyone know say if your rims were all black (lip included) and you wanted to make a polished lip, could you do that yourself? like is there a specific polishing compound or something

yeah thats what i was asking.

but does anyone know say if your rims were all black (lip included) and you wanted to make a polished lip, could you do that yourself? like is there a specific polishing compound or something

You can do it but it would take a good bit of work. You would need to sand through all of the paint and clear down to bear metal....then work your way up with sanding from 400 grit, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, and maybe even 3000. By that point it will be pretty shiny so any aluminum polish would work to finish it up.

Alright. Here's a snap of the wheels now that they are in black. I made the centercaps work by wrapping the outer edge with a weather sealing I use on the doors of the house. Then I pushed them through from the back and they fit snug (but would fall out the back again)....so......ready for the ghetto??? I gorilla glued the back edge of them to the inner hub part of the wheel. Should stick pretty well hopefully but it's gonna suck when I have to get new tires.

DSC_6575.jpg

Oh, yeah, and I have a few spots around the edges that need to be touched up still but I'll get to that later. Somehow a little paint got under the tape in a few spots so I'll have to sand that off (ugh...more work).

Let me know what you guys think.

was it hard to paint them?, im thinking about doing my VX's myself.

yes it does. it looks awesome. ill still gonna send you my wheels though, i envy you for having a garage.

I'm very, very glad to hear that Nancy. I think your wheels will look sick on here and then I can make these either my auto-x wheels or my winter wheels.

was it hard to paint them?, im thinking about doing my VX's myself.

Not hard, just time consuming. It's all in the prep work mainly. It took awhile to sand all of the little grooves and took a long time to tape it all up too. Overall though, if you take your time and do it right, it should come out nice. Rush the job and it'll look like crap.

On another note.....this thing is freaking low. It scrapes (the undercarriage) pulling out of my garage. I pulled the mudflaps off and cut a good inch off the bottom which fixed the problem with them scraping all the time. The wheels only rub on full turn if I am going up an incline (compressing the suspension) but if I'm careful there is only minimal rubbing.

I'm considering whether to raise it up a little, but I love the way it looks so much that I probably won't. I'd rather just try to modify the fender liners like I did in the teg to get rid of what little rubbing I do have.

I'm very, very glad to hear that Nancy. I think your wheels will look sick on here and then I can make these either my auto-x wheels or my winter wheels.

Not hard, just time consuming. It's all in the prep work mainly. It took awhile to sand all of the little grooves and took a long time to tape it all up too. Overall though, if you take your time and do it right, it should come out nice. Rush the job and it'll look like crap.

On another note.....this thing is freaking low. It scrapes (the undercarriage) pulling out of my garage. I pulled the mudflaps off and cut a good inch off the bottom which fixed the problem with them scraping all the time. The wheels only rub on full turn if I am going up an incline (compressing the suspension) but if I'm careful there is only minimal rubbing.

I'm considering whether to raise it up a little, but I love the way it looks so much that I probably won't. I'd rather just try to modify the fender liners like I did in the teg to get rid of what little rubbing I do have.

what all do i need to use to get grooves out and prep then paint wise?, and what set up do you have and how low?

I know you may like the way it looks, but continually rubbing the undercarraige can't be good for it. I'd raise it up just enough to get it to clear while pulling in and out of your garage.

I know you may like the way it looks, but continually rubbing the undercarraige can't be good for it. I'd raise it up just enough to get it to clear while pulling in and out of your garage.

I'm going to see if I can angle it to get out in the morning or pull out really slow. If it keeps rubbing I may pull it up a hair. It is a very light rubbing though, not a horrible scraping. My driveway is unlevel with the entry to the garage so their is about a 1" lip/drop on one side and even on the other side....I think that's why it's rubbing so I might try pulling toward the far side (with no drop off) or try backing in to see if that gets me in there.

what all do i need to use to get grooves out and prep then paint wise?, and what set up do you have and how low?

Sanpaper. Depending on how bad of defects, who knows what grit you'd need to start with. Start with about 150-200 on the rough spots and 320-400 on the entire rim. Then use a couple of coats of primer, 2-3 coats of paint, and a couple coats of clear. Just make sure everything is smooth and even with the 320-400 grit before spraying the primer.

how come when ever i hear "boosted d", ginger comes to mind?

i have no idea haha... i personally wouldnt do a boost build... its just not my type, or anyones around here its mostly N/A All motor power... but i still wouldnt mind seeing how his car will come out... he has already done a pretty dam awesome job in the appearance of it... i say keep up the good work Nate :thumbsup:

I went back out and pulled the car out to the point it scrapes....got out and shined a flashlight underneath. It's not the undercarriage it's the midpipe on the exhaust scraping a little (seriously...very lightly). I'll get under there eventually and see if I can't bend the hangers or something to make it sit a little higher. Anyway, no undercarriage rubbing so I'm good on ride height.

Sanpaper. Depending on how bad of defects, who knows what grit you'd need to start with. Start with about 150-200 on the rough spots and 320-400 on the entire rim. Then use a couple of coats of primer, 2-3 coats of paint, and a couple coats of clear. Just make sure everything is smooth and even with the 320-400 grit before spraying the primer.

what if i want a flat color just leave out the clear coat?

and about the boosted D, do it thats what im aiming for once i find a z6 and an ex/si trans

Archived