Nate's 91 Civic Hatch

CleanGSR

I wish I had photographed my EJ6 when it had the red GT3's. Lol.

It is VERY flashy..and for anyone who hasn't seen red on red like that..just wait till you see it up close. It's bright.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear ya. I personally hate red cars.

But you managed to make the paint look pretty good and the wheels matched well and made it stand out even more.

Anything else will just make it look like another boring red car IMHO.

As for the centercaps, what's the differenece between the two? Could you just cut the smaller one so that you can glue it on top of the larger one?

I'll try and snap pictures, but no that won't work. They are raised up about 1 inch and that portion is polished aluminum. The top is black with aluminum "H".

so your painting them black nate? i think white would look pretty good. but, a pita to clean haha.

Originally I was going to do white....I thought it would look nice too. However, with all the black trim everywhere and black bumpers, I think the white would look "off" whereas the black will fit in with all that perfectly.

I hate to say it but white "slipstreams" would look half decent on that car.

Edit -- Don't rule out stock stuff like SI's too..they look pretty good on those hatchbacks.

I hate to say it but white "slipstreams" would look half decent on that car.

Edit -- Don't rule out stock stuff like SI's too..they look pretty good on those hatchbacks.

Yeah, SI's look okay at best on EF/ED's in my opinion. HX's look awesome and that's what I originally wanted but I seriously had a hard time finding a decent set for a good price in my area. THen I came across these wheels with Falken tires and good tread left for 350 so I just grabbed them. THey'll do....for awhile at least, but yeah, I'd still like to replace them down the road.

Honestly, flat black slipstreams look better on this car than any other I've ever seen. I'd really like to have that....I just hate the cliche and the fact that everybody has or had a set of slips....especially in flat black.

Nate, I would've given it a few more days with the red on red just to be sure. Too late now of course.

I really don't think it would have mattered. It really just isn't my style. I think the black will look better.

Oh, and I figured out a way to make the center caps work. They look PERFECT on the wheels....look like they came with these honda centercaps.

Alright. Here's a snap of the wheels now that they are in black. I made the centercaps work by wrapping the outer edge with a weather sealing I use on the doors of the house. Then I pushed them through from the back and they fit snug (but would fall out the back again)....so......ready for the ghetto??? I gorilla glued the back edge of them to the inner hub part of the wheel. Should stick pretty well hopefully but it's gonna suck when I have to get new tires.

DSC_6575.jpg

Oh, yeah, and I have a few spots around the edges that need to be touched up still but I'll get to that later. Somehow a little paint got under the tape in a few spots so I'll have to sand that off (ugh...more work).

Let me know what you guys think.

oh my!!! those wheels are BEAUTIFUL!!!! wow.. i love em ahahah....Good Job :thumbsup:

Thanks man. They actually look a lot like HX's just with a deeper dish and in 15's. If I ever have to repaint them for some reason I might paint the entire rim black and do the red pinstripe on the lip like I planned with the HX's. I'm pretty dang happy with how they look now though. Can't hardly wait to do suspension and get these suckers on tomorrow night.

awesome job Nate! :thumbsup: loving them, great choice and will look mean, especially when you add suspension to the project :drool:

not to threadjack, but do you know what I could use as a centercap on my baby fats? i want to powdercoat them and leave the stock plastic centercap out. i want something small to go in the center, leaving the lugs exposed.

awesome job Nate! :thumbsup: loving them, great choice and will look mean, especially when you add suspension to the project :drool:

not to threadjack, but do you know what I could use as a centercap on my baby fats? i want to powdercoat them and leave the stock plastic centercap out. i want something small to go in the center, leaving the lugs exposed.

I'd honestly have no idea. These centercaps that I used fell completely through the center hub in the wheel before the modifications. That's how much they were too small. I checked this morning and the gorilla glue had set up really hard so I should be good.

What you should do is measure the size of the hole on the wheels and check ebay for some honda centercaps....they usually list the size/diamater.

Just checked UPS tracking and guess what I found......

ROLLA,

MO, US 12/16/2008 2:57 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

Here's the BIG update. Got the PIC's tonight and got them installed (took just under 2 hours for all 4....not bad). Threw the wheels on after the suspension. Here's 3 pics of it in the garage.

DSC_6578.jpg

DSC_6581_01.jpg

DSC_6584.jpg

Oh....no rubbing at all with it this low and I haven't rolled any fenders. However, the mudflaps rub even pulling out of my garage. I have about 1/2 - 1 inch of clearance on the mudflaps. I'll have to cut them or something to make them work.

As you can see...I have a couple things left to do. Clearly you can see some red behind the spokes so I'll have to pull the wheels off and paint the backside at some point. Also I need to level out the suspension. It's within an inch or less difference all around but I still need to get it "right" (when it warms up).

those wheels look awesome man. what are they again?

Drag DR-16's with some Tender Love and Care with a new paint job. I just wish they were originally black so they would hold up better than my paint job. Still, they came out nice so I'm happy.

Quoting this so it'll be at the top of page 7

Here's the BIG update. Got the PIC's tonight and got them installed (took just under 2 hours for all 4....not bad). Threw the wheels on after the suspension. Here's 3 pics of it in the garage.

DSC_6578.jpg

DSC_6581_01.jpg

DSC_6584.jpg

Oh....no rubbing at all with it this low and I haven't rolled any fenders. However, the mudflaps rub even pulling out of my garage. I have about 1/2 - 1 inch of clearance on the mudflaps. I'll have to cut them or something to make them work.

As you can see...I have a couple things left to do. Clearly you can see some red behind the spokes so I'll have to pull the wheels off and paint the backside at some point. Also I need to level out the suspension. It's within an inch or less difference all around but I still need to get it "right" (when it warms up).

Time for some b-series lovin'.

Leaning much more toward a boosted D16z6 swap with a6 tranny. I could probably do that entire setup with around 200whp for the same price as a B18C1 swap. Then I could always build the D16z6 for a moddest 300ish whp. Plus the SOHC's make a lot more torque than the DOHC's.

looks awsome. really like how the black spokes go with the trim, handles, mirrors ect. also like the lip on them. i always thought that the smaller dia. rota's and such looked like steelies from a distance, but this mistake wont be made with yours. two thumbs up

Leaning much more toward a boosted D16z6 swap with a6 tranny. I could probably do that entire setup with around 200whp for the same price as a B18C1 swap. Then I could always build the D16z6 for a moddest 300ish whp. Plus the SOHC's make a lot more torque than the DOHC's.

LOL, maybe a b16.

B20 would be cheap, torquey; and simple.

Archived