Nate's 91 Civic Hatch

CleanGSR

Is it a 4 speed?

Yeah, 4 speed. I'm amazed at how long the gearing is in the tranny. Very hard to get used to. I have to rev out gears 1 and 2 pretty far or it will bog on the shift into gears 2 and 3. I wouldn't have the problem on flat roads, but I have hills for the first 1/2 mile out of my house so it makes it a little more difficult. This car will be a lot more fun when I get the D16z6 in here with the 91 SI tranny.

this is basically the same as the cheaper sound deadeners. i found some stuff that is used to insulate AC ducting for homes, sticky asphalt mat with a heavy foil backing, all self adhesive. it was $18 for a roll that barely did all of my trunk, except for the lid. made a difference but the aread that need it most in my car are the doors and roof. get new seals for all your doors and windows too, this would help a lot.

I will look for that. My trunk area is pretty bad, but yeah, a lot comes in through the door panels too and they sound like a tin can when shutting the doors. I'd like to get them to more of a thud sounds which sound deadening would help with.

How thick is the mat that you used with the foil backing? I"m guessing the foil backing would probably help with the asphalt dripping when it gets hot.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, 4 speed. I'm amazed at how long the gearing is in the tranny. Very hard to get used to. I have to rev out gears 1 and 2 pretty far or it will bog on the shift into gears 2 and 3. I wouldn't have the problem on flat roads, but I have hills for the first 1/2 mile out of my house so it makes it a little more difficult. This car will be a lot more fun when I get the D16z6 in here with the 91 SI tranny.

I could potentially have an 87 CRX Si tranny available. Needs new mainshaft bearings, which are already purchased.

I will look for that. My trunk area is pretty bad, but yeah, a lot comes in through the door panels too and they sound like a tin can when shutting the doors. I'd like to get them to more of a thud sounds which sound deadening would help with.

How thick is the mat that you used with the foil backing? I"m guessing the foil backing would probably help with the asphalt dripping when it gets hot.

maybe 1/8", nothing serious but it helped. i used undercarpet padding (the pink and blue foam type) underneath plastic panels where water wont get in to help with rattles like my rear deck and side panels.

maybe 1/8", nothing serious but it helped. i used undercarpet padding (the pink and blue foam type) underneath plastic panels where water wont get in to help with rattles like my rear deck and side panels.

Well, I'm off to walmart and gonna pick up a can of either spray in sound deadener or bed liner to try the trunk area first. We'll see how that goes before going on to other areas in the car.

Well, I'm off to walmart and gonna pick up a can of either spray in sound deadener or bed liner to try the trunk area first. We'll see how that goes before going on to other areas in the car.

i tried rubberized undercoating and spray can bed liner and they both just smelled bad and put a thin plastic layer on. unless you spray it on really thick it wont do much. you have to remember that most truck bed liners are a good 1/8" or thicker

I used rubberized undercoating. Nice and thick in the trunk. It looks decent, covered up all the scratches and dings and I would like to think it really made a difference. I took 4 cans to do my trunk, one can would coat it but I wanted it to be thick enough to be useful.

If nothing else the trunk looks a lot better and junk in the trunk doesn't slide around or mar up the surface like it did to the paint.

Well, I just did the first coat on the trunk. I did a heavy coating....about half a can and only did the floor portion of the trunk and spare tire area. It shouldn't need to be extremely thick. I was reading up on the "physics" of sound deadening and basically as long as you have something on the metal to keep it from vibrating and amplifying the sound. Kind of like a tuning fork that stops when you touch it. A small layer of of this sound deadening sprayed on a tuning fork would keep it from vibrating and making much sound. Same principle here.

Anyway, I don't know if I will tell much of a difference with just the flooring part of the trunk done, but we'll see tomorrow. Once it warms up a bit (but not blazing hot), I'll remove all the panels in the trunk and spray those areas. I'm also considering stuffing the areas in those back panels with a poly fill (available at craft section of walmart) to help kee sound from coming in around those areas. Not sure how well that would work though, and a little afraid of causing a fire hazzard with the stuff around the electrical connections for the lights.

Well, I just did the first coat on the trunk. I did a heavy coating....about half a can and only did the floor portion of the trunk and spare tire area. It shouldn't need to be extremely thick. I was reading up on the "physics" of sound deadening and basically as long as you have something on the metal to keep it from vibrating and amplifying the sound. Kind of like a tuning fork that stops when you touch it. A small layer of of this sound deadening sprayed on a tuning fork would keep it from vibrating and making much sound. Same principle here.

Anyway, I don't know if I will tell much of a difference with just the flooring part of the trunk done, but we'll see tomorrow. Once it warms up a bit (but not blazing hot), I'll remove all the panels in the trunk and spray those areas. I'm also considering stuffing the areas in those back panels with a poly fill (available at craft section of walmart) to help kee sound from coming in around those areas. Not sure how well that would work though, and a little afraid of causing a fire hazzard with the stuff around the electrical connections for the lights.

my advice is that if you think its going to be fire hazardous then dont do it because everything that you think might go wrong.... can go wrong.. i wouldnt do it specially if you are going to have small children in the car at some point with you :thumbsup: just my opinion

my advice is that if you think its going to be fire hazardous then dont do it because everything that you think might go wrong.... can go wrong.. i wouldnt do it specially if you are going to have small children in the car at some point with you :thumbsup: just my opinion

I agree....however, I thought of something else. Home Insulation (the pink stuff). It will be hidden behind the panels, is designed to not be flamable (for safety reasons in home use) and is a pretty dang good sound deadener when used in the walls of homes. Might give this a shot at some point.

I agree....however, I thought of something else. Home Insulation (the pink stuff). It will be hidden behind the panels, is designed to not be flamable (for safety reasons in home use) and is a pretty dang good sound deadener when used in the walls of homes. Might give this a shot at some point.

true but keep in mind that that stuff is like fiber glass.. if some of that gets out and somehow manages to get on your skin.. it will be extremely itchy and annoying... but if you manage to seal it up pretty good then im sure it could work out :thumbsup:

true but keep in mind that that stuff is like fiber glass.. if some of that gets out and somehow manages to get on your skin.. it will be extremely itchy and annoying... but if you manage to seal it up pretty good then im sure it could work out :thumbsup:

I don't know how it would ever get out. I insulated my entire garage with the stuff and unfinished walls. It never "gets out" and bothers me in the garage so I don't know how it would behind the panels in the trunk.

I don't know how it would ever get out. I insulated my entire garage with the stuff and unfinished walls. It never "gets out" and bothers me in the garage so I don't know how it would behind the panels in the trunk.

oh yeah i understand.. i'm just saying that if it did it would be really itchy and bothersome... im not saying it will.. just implying what could happen if it were to get out... sorry if i didnt make myself clear.. but if you try it.. it would be nice if you let us know if it worked

The poly fill will be fine. Keep in mind it's used for speaker enclosures. Subwoofers get hot.

I actually think I have some polyfill laying around to test with. I actually have a feeling that the polyfill might melt rather than burn. Anyway, before I use polyfill I'll take a flame to some and see what happens to it. If it catches fire, then I'll play it safe and not use it. If it just sort of melts away then I'll probably go ahead and stuff the panels with it.

I actually think I have some polyfill laying around to test with. I actually have a feeling that the polyfill might melt rather than burn. Anyway, before I use polyfill I'll take a flame to some and see what happens to it. If it catches fire, then I'll play it safe and not use it. If it just sort of melts away then I'll probably go ahead and stuff the panels with it.

Direct flame might melt it, the temperatures it can reach inside a sub box, or behind the panels in your hatch area won't do much but make it a bit warmer. It'll be fine Nate. BTW, you see that I could potentially have an 87 CRX Si transmission for sale?

Direct flame might melt it, the temperatures it can reach inside a sub box, or behind the panels in your hatch area won't do much but make it a bit warmer. It'll be fine Nate. BTW, you see that I could potentially have an 87 CRX Si transmission for sale?

Nope missed that post but went back and see it now. How much are you gonna sell it for cause they usually go really cheap in perfect working condition. I've seen them on EF-honda with no grinds or problems for 100-150 (I love this D series crap....everything is so dang cheap).

Oh, and I won't be looking to buy stuff for this until next winter (winter project). I"m pretty much done spending money on the car for now (except for an OEM clock and mirror....driving me crazy without those).

Nope missed that post but went back and see it now. How much are you gonna sell it for cause they usually go really cheap in perfect working condition. I've seen them on EF-honda with no grinds or problems for 100-150 (I love this D series crap....everything is so dang cheap).

Not much. No grinds, just needs mainshaft bearings, which I have. I'm just tired of having multiple project cars, and no movement on any of them. I'll probably part it out once I figure out if a buddy of mine still wants it or not. He did for gas mileage, but then bought himself something else.

Alright....update on the sound deadener.

This crap works really well in my opinion. I did all of the floor portion of the trunk area. Removed the jack and spare and sprayed that entire area with one really thick coat. Driving down the road now, I notice that I can't hear hardly any road noise coming from the trunk area. There is still plenty of road noise in the car overall, but that area in general is noticably quieter.

HOWEVER: Make sure that you do this when it's around 70 degrees outside and not in the super cold. The can says it takes 4-6 hours to dry and to use at 70 degree/room temperature. I did it at about 40-45 degrees followed by 20's that night. It took a good 40 hours (not exaggerating) to dry. I did it at 4:30pm on Sunday night and it wasn't dry until this morning (Tuesday) at 7:00 when I checked it.

That said, once spring hits, I plan to remove all of the rear trunk panels and spray them with a nice heavy coat. Then I'll pull the rear seats, front seats, and carpet and spray the entire floor board. Then after that, I'll probably remove door and rear seat panels and spray that area. Still haven't decided if I want to do the roof area. I might just buy a thin carpet foam and line the underside of the headliner.

how thick did you spray it? i put some on one of my doors and it didn't do jack but i don't think i put enough on.

Well, hard to explain I guess but I did it pretty thick which I think is part of the problem with it taking so long to dry maybe. The stuff I used kind of bubbled up when you sprayed it so I had to go fairly thick to get it to cover and hide all the red. Then after covering all the red, I gave it another coat with about that much again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived