Mike's Sol

SolLesHonda

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's give it up for following popular opinion.

They look good, don't get me wrong. I still think people need to do what they want to their cars without waiting for everyone to give approval. Except for stupid engine stuff and ricey crap of course.

There's two types of bad alignment. Camber (which you can see like that) and toe. Camber is much worse for the obvious reasons of ruining tires but toe is also noticably annoying since it can make your car start to pull. Camber can do that too, though.

Wrong. 3 types. Cast, Camber, Toe. Toe being off will eat through your tires much faster and if it's off by much you'll have trouble even driving at speeds over 40mph. If your toe is off by a lot you could go through a set of tires in 1000 miles or less.

I must have been misinformed by the guys at work who do alignments all day.

Please elaborate on the types of misalignments or at least post a link so I can learn this stuff.

Edit: I really don't mean this to be as rude as it sounds. I was just stating my sources for it.

I must have been misinformed by the guys at work who do alignments all day.

Please elaborate on the types of misalignments or at least post a link so I can learn this stuff.

+1

Like what is toe, and cast. You've explained their effect but not what they actually ARE.

The best I can explain toe is this:

Imagine that your driver's side tire is turned to the right at the same time that the passenger side tire is turned to the left. This is toe-in. Since both tires are turned inward instead of straight ahead, you can see how this would be crazy bad for the tread life of the tire. If both tires are turned out at the same time, then it's toe out. A minor amount of toe is used sometimes to aid in handling. If it's off too bad the car will be really squirly, but on race cars I think it can also make turn-in a little bit sharper and quicker.

Cast can be expalined as follows (best I can do):

Your strut goes from the engine bay down to the LCA. This should be a pretty much straight shot down. If the angle is not straight down and slopes toward the front or the back then the cast is off. This could also result in the tire not being centered in the wheelwell. I'll try and find a full explanation and start a new post for you two (and everyone else that may need it)

Archived