b16b's winter project

if you get yourself a garrett turbo off a saab , it will be internally wastegated for 8 lbs. it depends on how you wanna go , external wastegate is "cooler"(not temp , lol) , plus it allows easier adjustment for future plans if needed. internal wastegates are cheaper since its part of the turbo , and last forever without any prolems. cheap to fix. keep this in mind as well when buying a manifold , no tap for wastegate needed if going internal , but most come with a plug anyways.

Garrett T3 .42./.48 50 trim Turbo

Tubular stainless Manifold

TiAL 38mm 7psi Wastegate

3" Downpipe (recirc. wastegate, wideband ready)

3" exhaust w/ test pipe

Spearco FMIC

2.5" Charge Piping w/ hose and T-bolt clamps

SSQV BOV

550 injectors

Hondata s200

new fuel pump

CP 9.8:1 pistons

-theres your list. your bang on with turbo imo.

-stick with tubular manny , make sure you get one with wastegate hole if your going that route , or plug if not.

-tial wastegates are bomb , if going external thats the way to go.

-definitely want 3" exhaust from front to back

-fmic is what you want , brand is up to you.

-2.5" charge piping is what you want also , you can buy full kits off ebay to pipe the car.

-whatever BOV you want , just make sure its a loud bastard cause 8 lbs dont give you much hiss , lol , and we LOVEEEE the hiss , yeah baby , haha

-550cc injectors are a must , at least that. find out price differences and see if its much more to go bigger , if not go bigger , even 750cc if there not crazy money. (my bud got 750cc injectors in his LSVTEC running 8 lbs for an example)

-if you go with hondata , your gonna need to convert your car to obd1. i dont know much about chrome or neptune or those others these fellows speak of , if obd1 conversion not needed , go that route. much easier and cheaper for you.

-your definitely gonna need new fuel pump. go walpro for sure or reputable brand for sure.

-the cp pistons your gonna buy are for a JDM B16A.(if that calculator and my calculator are correct , haha).make sure you get rings.

-your also gonna need a boost and air/fuel ratio gauge(optional but i think you shoud have it).

-if you can get one cheap , pick up an AEM fuel rail , there all over ebay. no fuel pressure regulator needed if getting it tuned with new injectors.

i also see on that calculator , if you use a thinner head gasket you can bump compression slightly. by using what there calling 1 layer , you can be around 9.8 , which is even better , but as high as i would go. if i think of anything else ill post.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is that cranny's setup he posted can be done for $1500 or less including a tune if you spend the time and find quality used parts via ebay, honda-tech. I searched around awhile back and found all the parts (in one day) to boost my teg for $1000 using a setup very close to cranny's. It wouldn't make crazy power but could put it around 230-250whp which isn't bad for a grand.

i should tell you so theres no miscommunication B16 , the pistons you want are stock JDM B16A. stock JDM B16A pistons will bring you to 9.6:1. aftermarket pistons tend to either lower or raise the compression ratio , not be stock again. so if you get 9.6:1 CP pistons for a JDM B16A , in your engine they will be like 9.0:1. you see what im saying. just making sure. if crower makes CP pistons that are stock values , thats what you want.

JDM B16A pistons have a measurement of 1.180" from wrist pin to top of piston and are 10.4:1 CR.

the ones that crower sells for B16A1,2,3 , are 1.181" wrist pin to top of piston measurement , and give a 10.5:1 CR.

(just to let you know , your stock B16B pistons have a measurement of 1.210 inches , which is how they obtain the high CR).

id say those are the ones you want. would actually bump you up a bit from 9.6 , to like 9.7 maybe. not much. so 10.5:1 CP pistons for B16A1,2,3.

i believe he was talkin to me b/c i was looking at this thread.

cant really vouche for the gt28, since i never had it. i liked my t3/to4e, but from what ive heard the gt28 is a good turbo. you can find a t3 a HELL of a lot cheaper than a gt28 if solLes's number is right on that turbo.

lol i know you're mike, solles. we've just never talked one-on-one so i still call you solles. and ..ssr.. is chris, right? i still call him ..ssr..

i'll have plenty of time to figure out a financial situation. hopefully, if i have enough money from the things i'm selling, i'll go for the gt28. i looked it up on full-race and it looks pretty promising.

lol didnt u have a t3 solLes?

my suggestion is the t3, since i have experience with it. search for people who have a gt28, there experiences, look at their dyno sheets, and make a decision from that. just because some people say to get it shouldnt be the reason you do. make sure its to your liking, imho.

FR = quality and good customer service. figure out what your looking to get out of a turbo and talk to jeff at FR. very knowledgable little fuker he is and he likes helpin people. promotes his products a little too much though lol, but i guess id be the same way.

i should tell you so theres no miscommunication B16 , the pistons you want are stock JDM B16A. stock JDM B16A pistons will bring you to 9.6:1. aftermarket pistons tend to either lower or raise the compression ratio , not be stock again. so if you get 9.6:1 CP pistons for a JDM B16A , in your engine they will be like 9.0:1. you see what im saying. just making sure. if crower makes CP pistons that are stock values , thats what you want.

JDM B16A pistons have a measurement of 1.180" from wrist pin to top of piston and are 10.4:1 CR.

the ones that crower sells for B16A1,2,3 , are 1.181" wrist pin to top of piston measurement , and give a 10.5:1 CR.

(just to let you know , your stock B16B pistons have a measurement of 1.210 inches , which is how they obtain the high CR).

id say those are the ones you want. would actually bump you up a bit from 9.6 , to like 9.7 maybe. not much. so 10.5:1 CP pistons for B16A1,2,3.

This is wrong.

B16B gets compression from a huge ass dome. The difference in CH is due to length of rods. You can't put B18 pistons in a B16. Crower doesn't make pistons. They sell CP Pistons. CP doesn't offer 9.6:1. JDM or USDM doesn't matter. B16A is B16A. He would need custom pistons and rods. For the price of custom pistons and rods, he could put in a B18 crank and use shelf pistons/rods and make much better power.

but is that just with aftermarket pistons? could i use the oem pistons for the jdm b16a like cranny was saying? according to the zeal tool, it would bump my compression down a bit just from using those pistons, which are the same bore as mine

daniel, his car is clean as a whistle. it's sweeet. i love riding in that thing. i'll tell him to post up some pics

from what i've heard from a lot of people, 10.8 is too high to boost at 7-8psi, so i would need to lower it. i don't have the money to replace everything down to the crank, so i was looking for an easier way. suggestions for boost prep then? or do you think i'm ok as it is?

Archived