where are thw fabricators at?

Raley

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

feronious (sp?) i'll get the model and such when i get home in an hour. right now we do not use a battery array and are just grid tied. that's for the next house...

Raley: Those big ol bastards run on a lazy suzan pretty much. The generator and all of the equipment is up in the housing on top of the stand, so basicly there are 4 bands of metal on the bearing surface it rotates on. Kinda like non SRS steering wheels and their horns. Its just the brushes we used were INSANE Each one weighed about 80lbs and was PURE copper. I mean hell the bearings were about the size of softballs.

As far as running solar here its not going to happen, well not anytime soon. We used up all of our energy trust credits and our federal energy tax credits this year by insulating the crawl space, new NG furnace (which has PVC exhaust pipes haha, the thing is so damn efficent the exhaust is only 5% above ambient indoor temp), a new hybrid water heater (instant w/ a 5gal tank and recirc system), new fridge, new washer and dryer.

Eventually however we will probably do it since we have a north facing house so our roof runs east-west, so we will put the panels on the south face of the house (and the garage as well) figure we could probably go net0 with the ammount of surface we have since its a single story ranch 3bed 2 bath, its pretty long and narrow.

dammit, three times i wrote this post and keep deleting the crap by accident. Tax credits for efficiency improvements are not the same as tax credits for renewable power systems. I will be qualifying for the $1500 credit as well as 30% back on my solar array.

I took these pics with my blackberry in the dark. Sorry for the poor quality.

IMG00052-20101215-1759.jpgIMG00056-20101215-1800.jpg

IMG00053-20101215-1759.jpg

I've done an amazing amount of work to this place for not a huge amount of money - windows, doors, roof, geothermal furnace, pv array. Year 1 it cost us over $4000 only for heat @65. Now it will cost me $500 to keep it @72.

Now I just have to figure out how to generate a little more power. I have a stream that runs through the edge of my property. I was thinking a small impeller might be something fun to play with.

i'll have to check on that and to check on what constitutes a turbine. I was literally meaning an impeller sitting at waters surface connected via direct drive shaft to an alternator only for the purpose of running an electric water pump. if it would generate that much.

Obviously, it would require some gearing to get the rotating speed high enough. Water pouring out of a culvert isn't exactly speedy. Just speculation. At the very least it will not have cost me much/anything to set that up. I have a few spare alternators and might be able to rig a set of bicycle sprockets to test the idea.

See this is where I should have not dropped out of school. I have lots of excellent ideas and no clue what the hell to do to implement them. Define "rectifier". In the context of your statement I am assuming you mean for me to precharge a portion of the alternator in order for it to function initially?

Where did you come up with your specs on the chassis. I look at it and see some spots of nice triangulation thwn other areas it looks weak, maybe just the angle but still... did you build it around suspensiin, mtor and the seat or what?

http://www.sae.org/s...nts/mbrules.pdf

those are the rules.. bunch of specs on cage

Where are the weak connections on the rear bottom? and what are the impossible connections?

It looked crappier in the front until recently.. guys on the team don't like to listen to me.. me and the advisor had to explain triangulation to them lol

they tend to fight me on obvious stuff.. like not wanting a 6ft+ wheelbase or a super wide track width (they think if the rules say MAX length and MAX width that they should do that.. I had to explain just cause it fits rules doesnt make it competitive

also tried to fight me on choosing 4130.. they finally shut the f up when they realized it was stronger and we were looking at a 60 lb chassis instead of 100 lbs.

none of them have any experience with following rules to pass tech inspection.. and they have issues understanding how important things like suspension geometry is

If something looks really strange it was probably one of their ideas.. if they do something and it doesnt actually hurt anything then i leave them alone about it lol i think it looks better then some chassis i've been seeing for competition next year

Thing i hate most about the chassis is that bottom of the rear roll hoop. It has to have 1 or two triangular braces that you can see.. the horizontal bars are for the seatbelt and motor.. i hate how the motor bar interferes with the brace bar

side screen shot:

side.jpg

probably going to be an hour or two debate on a-arm design and mounting tomorrow cry.gif

Archived