where are thw fabricators at?

Raley

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my project is cooler

strongly disagree

wtf is it, looks like a high tech umbrella w/o the fabric on it.

it goes boom, fsssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeew, thwack, errscrk.

thats about all i'm allowed to say

SlidingMechanism-1.jpg

i made my own b series polyurethane engine and transmission mounts.

I have fabricated a new seat for my cafe racer bike. 74 CB550. I cut and welded the rear seat frame as well.

i fabricated a valve adjustment tool out of a 10mm wrench. just heated it up and bent it.

I am in the process of making brake coolers for my foglight holes.

I make a lot of things.

i made a pair of hot air distributors today. yanked a few blower assemblies out of my spare server parts bins, cut up a few laptop power supplies I had lying around and mounted them around the living room to move some of fireplace heat around a little.

Cory and Raley are the ones to talk about this crap to: magnetic electricity generators and wind driven turbine assemblies. I have some good plans for building my own alternators but really just a bit intimidated by the process. The MEG is just a pipe dream. I realize that the theory to date is bogus but I think it would be cool to try and replicate Wang Shum Ho Generator because it actually appears to work. theoretically it should make around 5kw with a one-off manufacturing cost of about $1500.

I really wanna try to make a wind turbine for power but i dont know what all it would take for the transformer.... any of you guys know?

My idea is a horizonal cup style, not a standard vertical prapeller... if that makes sense. I dont wanna just buy a converter, halfway build it.

interesting you should bring up wind turbines, i was actually a fabricator at gamesa wind when i was living in philly for a year. I actually built the variable pitch hub assemblies and bolted them to the main chassis (which is about the size of 2 busses, think about that the next time you see one sittin on that post way up in the air). (They have a factory in fairless hills)

Honestly ive seen some theroies behind it, but TBH as far as i can tell it wont produce what they claim. It would require alot of torque to generate 5kw of eletricity. I mean that is ALOT of drag to put onto an assembly.

The sister company to the one my dad works at makes the fiberglass stuff for them... blades and housings. Any idea why they dont make them horizonal, in my head it would take up the same space but would remove the pivoting stuff and the gearing or what ever it takes to transfer power to a new direction. Im not sure if the motor is on the prapeller or in the base.

i am thinking one like this...

cup_anemometer.gif

while this is standard addition...

windmill.jpg

in my search for why they do them one way, i found this, which really interests me...

Darrieus-windmill.jpg

im about to get a house, and its got a decent back yard, so im really thinking about this, even if it was just enough to run my computer id be happy... anything to say frack the power company is better then nothing.

because the standard blade design is much more efficent. It takes very little energy to move the housing to the wind direction. Where as the cup design has to overcome the air resistance of a MUCH larger surface. Also the cup design does not have a variable pitch ability, meaning in a wind storm it will litteraly spin itself to pieces, where as the bladed design can change the pitch of the blade from 0 deg to 90 deg, and has a VERY large hydraulic brake on the hub housing to keep it from overspeeding. and i belive at 3000 is peak out put for the dsereis alt.

Im actually running a bseries alt on my d15, just had to modify the bracket to accecpt the larger alternator, the extra 10 amps helps, thats for sure.

raley, when i get home I will post the links to some homemade 10kw wind turbines. the guy built them entirely himself excepting he had a waterjet do some of the finer machine work and had a master cabinet maker/carpenter make his blades. The completed turbine, sans blades weighed in at around 400lbs when he was finished. he doesn't give you plans, per se, but there is 7 or so pages of text and dozens of pictures so any one handy could replicate it easy enough.

I also have some great simple plans for just using a straight 30a alternator with a direct shaft connection for a mini turbine arrangement.

raley, did you see my solar array? I didn't build it myself because i got a pretty big grant from the utility company. basically they covered the full cost of installation and i paid for the parts.

DSCN1228.jpg

DSCN1237.jpg

so far, after three full months of production we are about net $0. i have had two electric bills of $0, one that was $60, we made three months of payments on the loan we took for this and we just got our first check of $660 for the SRECs we made. Without calculating the ridiculous tax refund we will be getting because of this we are projecting that our TOTAL energy bill for the year (we are 100% electric) will be about $500 on a 3500sq ft house.

nothing to do with tree hugging and everything to do with not paying monthly payments to anyone in the near future.

raley, you and cory both could do this. the thing isn't that hard and having seen it installed I could do it again no problem.

the township the house is in is kinda picky.. so i gotta look at all the laws and stuff, also, solar wouldn't be the best here in michigan since we get lots of clouds and snow, so it would be useless for about half the year...but wind is always blowing. so thats why im thinking wind... but at the same time the township is picky, so i wont be able to put up a huge windfarm in the backyard... im thinking just a little one to offset the power bill some.

and we are not tree huggers (well cory is alil bit) but its so we don't have to pay an electric bill and then we can fund things like a nsx... i wont own one but shari loves them... i want an atom :D (home built of course)

raley, the cloud and snow thing is a misnomer. the #1 solar producing country in the world is Germany and they have less solar hours per year then any point in michigan. my panels produce a significant amount of power even with snow on them. the array is at such a tilt that the majority of the snow is shed, what remains melts off after an hour or two.

the interesting feature of solar production is that lower temperatures = higher output from photovoltaic cells. even though the days are shorter and sun is lower in the horizon my peak output each day is actually higher now then what is was in august. and with the good snow covering we have on the ground right now I am actually producing over peak on occasion due to the reflected light. did you know that Alaska is the state with the highest overall solar capacity (photovoltaic and thermal) in the US?

oh, my township has never seen a ground mount solar array - there were no existing laws. the zoning inspected got excited and now he's putting up an array too.

Archived