where are thw fabricators at?

Raley

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More heat less wire... im guessing its mig... looks like a damn arc weld. Oh didnt realize its a motor mount. Then change the one higher to a triangle. Jumps will be fine. Look at sand rails they jump farther and harder than youll have to and habe a longer front "hood area"

Did you do those welds sarah? They look no bueno, mig w/ flux it appears. I would regrind them and try again. Also bevel your welding surfaces, run more heat, and slow your feed down to about 2/3rds what you have it at now. I would be willing to wager i could probably snap those welds pretty easily, looks like really poor penetration.

Another tip would be to clean off the metal with soapy water, it appears there is still extrusion lube on the pipe, and that will kill your welds really quickly.

As far as your design you could shorten your height quite a bit and help improve safety and comfort if you clock the seat back at 10-15 degrees, this will keep you from compressing your spine when you land from a jump, it will also let you sit in a position your more used to as if you were in the sol.

lol those are SO not my welds

they are from the 1 guy on the drivetrain team who kept claiming to know how to weld. said hes been doing it since 11th grade (senior in college not btw)

me and him have gotten into MANY arguements about how he is not touching a chassis of something I have to be in.. team kept taking his side until they saw his welds lol hes only ever welded on one of those little cheap ass flux things (commonly called buzz box).. thats him using a big mig.. he wants to mig weld the 4130 chassis.. NOT

I have 2 or 3 tig welders on stand by.. 2 are professinal welders and the other has built many many race cars

The other two guys on chassis team are cool with letting one of my guys weld it.. the other guy on the chassis team is all 'we should take a vote'.. i told him there was nothing to vote about because it wouldnt be safe (and i'm not going to built a chassis that 'should' hold up at low speeds) and theres NO f'in way it'd pass tech.. so the guy says we can let the drivetrain guy do multiple test samples until he passes? uh NO

http://students.sae.org/competitions/bajasae/rules/

that site has the weld requirements.. no way the guy is even close even though he honestly thinks he is

as far as the design the rear roll hoop can only angle back 20 degrees and we are are max right now.. height has to be at least 41 inches from seat bottom and 6 inches from the tallest persons helmet.. we are right at those requirements

thank god sarah, i was afraid those were yours, at which point i would have felt like an ass.

Ill admit it, I cant weld for sh!t, thats why I cant wait till we get done rewiring the shop, putting up the insulation and drywall, so i can get practicing with my mig, hoping to be picking up a tig soon as well. :)

boost?

Small%20turbo.jpg

nitrous?

nos_05029NOS.jpg

bore the motor over? mill the block for high compression?

What kind of drive, chain, shaft, belt? Honestly at those speeds i would remove as much weight as possible, run the smallest fuel cell, thinest seat, etc.

chassis is at 60 lbs which is already lighter then a lot of others.. a arms will be made out of chromoly which is pretty light.. spindles are probably the heaviest thing up front

rear swingarm is going to be chromoly to lighten the car more.. drivetrain considered a manual tranny but we told them not to be gay (they thought they could bolt a motorcycle tranny up and it work.. had to explain the gearing thing to them).. so we are staying with the simple CVT.. and i believe they are chain driving it.. 2 shafts and a chain i think? they ditched the transfer case as well so no reverse or neutral

flotation is going to add a fair bit of weight though

as far as the engine:

all vehicles must have same stock 4 cycle air cooled briggs and stratton intek model

-Must remain COMPLETELY stock in all ways (standard rings, no cleaning of intake ports, all shafts/rods cant be altered/modified, one type of plug, no advance/retarding flywheel, no touching the carb, air intake can be relocated but can only use certain part #'s)

no use in even trying to mod the engine.. they consider blueprinting it to manufactor spec to be modification as well.. only way to win is have a better overall car

Archived