New to this forum

del sol daddy-O

Hello to all! I am new to this forum and relatively new to owning a 1993 Del sol. I am currently in need of an engine or doing some engine work to this little car. I'm new to working on imports so please be patient as I may ask a lot of newbie questions that seem simple to most of you. thanks in advance for any help in getting this thing under way!

Hello and welcome to HF.

Don't be put off if anyone here acts like an asshat from time to time. In general the people are nice and will help you where they can.

Well the sol was burning A LOT of oil and then quit all together. I pulled the head off of the D15B7 that is in it and found two of the exhaust valves to be actually broken out along the radius. (cylinders 1 & 3) I looked and could see not signs of damage to the cylinder walls nor any remnants of the missing valve pieces. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Still doesn't really explain the burning oil though does it? I'm thinking blown head gasket as well since #4 had signs of some pretty nasty deposits on the valves as well. This car was just meant to be an inexpensive commuter/fun car so right now I dont think I'm gonna do too much to it other than just get it running so I can start saving some cash...maybe more later then.

I had a broken valve in my sol. If you have a haynes manual, a torque wrench, and a valve spring compressor ($10) you can change them. Try to find a parts head rather than buying new parts. I found a complete good head for $30 but just used it for parts because it looked nasty. Clean those nasty deposits off with a wire brush wheel attached to a drill. If it's burning a lot of oil though, the rings may be shot. In this case, just find another engine. They are usually $150-$250 for a good used d15b7. Or if you want to eventually make this car faster, there are other motors that would bolt right in for you.

Are you sure it isn't leaking oil? Oh and welcome and stuff.

I had a broken valve in my sol. If you have a haynes manual, a torque wrench, and a valve spring compressor ($10) you can change them. Try to find a parts head rather than buying new parts. I found a complete good head for $30 but just used it for parts because it looked nasty. Clean those nasty deposits off with a wire brush wheel attached to a drill. If it's burning a lot of oil though, the rings may be shot. In this case, just find another engine. They are usually $150-$250 for a good used d15b7. Or if you want to eventually make this car faster, there are other motors that would bolt right in for you.

Are you sure it isn't leaking oil? Oh and welcome and stuff.

The engine was definitely burning the oil. What other engines would be a direct bolt in? What all would be involved in doing this? ie. ecm, torque converter/flywheel, etc... mine is an automatic. my thoughts were to re-ring the engine since I already had the head off. The cylinder walls look like they are in pretty good shape with no visible cracks or gouges in them.

well a d16z6 (si trim motor) will bolt right up. and your tranny should bolt right up.

about 99% of your parts will work with the d16z6. D motors are great, they are cheap, reliable, and for the most part interchangeable with their parts, especialy the d16's. not sure about the d15/d16 change over though.

The other thing you might want to look at doing is something called a mini-me. You take the head off of your b7, and put the head of a z6 on. All you need to install other that that is 1 wire for your vtec solinoid (if you even want to use it) should net you a few ponnies, and it will prob cost you just as much to do it as it would to repair your current dilema

well a d16z6 (si trim motor) will bolt right up. and your tranny should bolt right up.

about 99% of your parts will work with the d16z6. D motors are great, they are cheap, reliable, and for the most part interchangeable with their parts, especialy the d16's. not sure about the d15/d16 change over though.

The other thing you might want to look at doing is something called a mini-me. You take the head off of your b7, and put the head of a z6 on. All you need to install other that that is 1 wire for your vtec solinoid (if you even want to use it) should net you a few ponnies, and it will prob cost you just as much to do it as it would to repair your current dilema

By putting a z head on my 1.5 would this make it vtec? what wire would you be referring to that i wold need to add? Would my existing distributor work or would I also need the distributor off of a d16z6? How can I positively identify one from the other since I am new to these?

Archived