cold air intake

Del Sol Driva

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The AEM V2 is either 3.5 or 4" depending on vehicle. Just FYI. But yeah, agreed ^

I thought that was only on part of it though, not the whole intake (I could be wrong though). I'd argue that 4" is too big to flow the air fast enough....that would be very peaky with it's power range I'd think.

• 2 weeks later...

How much does a cold air intake really help? My del sol is all stock right now. I'm thinking about getting the aem short ram intake, but someone told me it won't help much unless I get exhaust and header as well, and even after all those, it only give you an extra 5 hp... Is this true? It doesn't seem to worth the time and money.

Taking into consideration Price, Time, Effort and Effectiveness a cold air intake actually is the single best thing you can install in your car to increase it's performance. For the most part it doesn't increase power, but changes the power and torque band so that more power is realized in the low to mid range where most drivers will see and feel it (and think their car is faster).

Your are correct that to see more out of it you would also need an exhaust and header. Then that leads into a bigger throttle body, then larger injectors to reach the proper air/fuel ratio, intake manifold and top it off with a retune. That may be a little more then you had in mind though...

That's very true^^

One question, though: do you really need larger injectors with those mods? I would only think so if your stockers were maxed out at the stock levels, which I wouldn't expect. I always figured the retune would be necessary to reset the stock injectors to higher levels.

Taking into consideration Price, Time, Effort and Effectiveness a cold air intake actually is the single best thing you can install in your car to increase it's performance. For the most part it doesn't increase power, but changes the power and torque band so that more power is realized in the low to mid range where most drivers will see and feel it (and think their car is faster).

Your are correct that to see more out of it you would also need an exhaust and header. Then that leads into a bigger throttle body, then larger injectors to reach the proper air/fuel ratio, intake manifold and top it off with a retune. That may be a little more then you had in mind though...

yeah, that definitely was more than what I had in mind. I do want to make some modification to make it a little more fun to drive, without spending a fortune. So it sounds like the intake would be the best way to start. Is that right?

If I'm only able to spend a few hundred dollars, what else would be a good start?

Intake, Header, exhaust would be the best start if your on a budget and are not really interested in going all out in the long run either.

ok so after i/h/e what would you guys recommend. budget in mind and not going to turbo in the near future, and designed for drag, or street

For a first part to install, if you are just taking it slow and just want something to play around with an intake is most peoples first step. They aren't really that expensive and anyone with a couple wrenches can install it in under an hour for most cars. You don't need to spend a fortune on one and for the most part* they are all the same. There are differences in brands and styles but in the end the performance differences are pretty minor. A $300 AEM V2 is nice, but for $25 an eBay one might not look as nice, but probably flows 95% as well as the $300 unit. The eBay unit may fall apart sooner, but that is not absolute.

John, the bigger injectors really depends on the car I would guess. Some stock injectors on certain engines would have a higher capacity then others.. By the time you have done I/H/E, intake mani and TB you most likely will need the upgraded injectors to make up for the much higher air flow rate if you really wanted to max out the potential.

eh, its only silicone couplers and piping. shouldn't fall apart at all. save the money and just buy the egay lol.

coupler on my ebay cai on the sol fell apart recently... it's been on there for about 7 years or longer :laugh:

7 years and $25 vs $300 and ? years. I think the eBay one wins this battle. I would need to live another 84 years to see a cost benefit over the more expensive one, if it would actually last 84 years itself.

One going to TB I assume? Thats pretty good, and like $4.00 at Autoparts store! :thumbsup:

that'd be it. other than that, the finish on it flaked a few years ago so it looks bad, but eventually i'll get around to cleaning it up (mike would die if he saw my sol's engine bay :p). the prelude has some black no-name on it, and the finish is fine.

that'd be it. other than that, the finish on it flaked a few years ago so it looks bad, but eventually i'll get around to cleaning it up (mike would die if he saw my sol's engine bay :p ). the prelude has some black no-name on it, and the finish is fine.

Thats why I only buy plain ones! :thumbsup:

A little sand paper to rough it up and smooth the edges and some high-temp paint ought to spiff that up pronto.

Yeah, I know it won't take any effort to make it look alright again, but I never got around to it. Since I have to replace the coupler now (and should probably throw a new filter on again), I'll clean it up whenever it is I have a chance to do that heh.

Yeah, I know it won't take any effort to make it look alright again, but I never got around to it. Since I have to replace the coupler now (and should probably throw a new filter on again), I'll clean it up whenever it is I have a chance to do that heh.

what kind of filter do you usually run CRG7??

Archived