I Don't Know if I can Do Another Honda/Acura...

90IntegraC1

I've been thinking about it a lot, and as much as I love Honda products and how many different options one has when modification comes into play...i don't know if I can get back into it again.

First of all, this is the short list of cars which I would even consider buying:

1992-1993 Integra LS,GS, RS, or GS-R (rare)

1994-2001 Integra GSR

1992-1995 Civic Hatch

1998-2000 Civic Si

1997-2001 Prelude (non-SH)

85% of these cars on the market are either modded, beat to crapt, or 3 different colors. I don't want to even touch a previously modded car. I don't want to have to strip an entire shell down just to fix the rust/damage, and replacing body panels that actually color match is damn-near impossible.

5% of these cars are out of my spending limit. I'd like to keep it under $8000 and many GSR's and Prelude's are above that.

5% are non-vtec. I'd only buy a MINT DA or Civic Hatch in non-vtec just because they are so rare. Otherwise, I'd rather start with a B18C1, B16A, or H22A....unless of course I find an amazing stock DA haha.

The remaining 5% are cars which I would actually consider purchasing...just to give you an example, I'll spend a half-hour on Autotrader or Craigslist and find maybe 2 cars that I could even consider buying...

I don't know what to do. I'm 3rd year in college about to enter the real world...is getting back into Honda's worth it?

Or should I buy a decent stock WRX, SRT-4, or newer Civic and leave it alone?

I don't know what to do...your input will be valued.

In case you don't know who I am, I had a 1990 Integra GS (AT-MT Conversion, LS-vtec, and OBD0-OBD1 Conversion, + many other things....here's some pics...)

100_0744.jpg

philly3.jpg

philly6.jpg

gah i want it back. :(

I know all about wanting past cars back! >_ >_< You would never consider a 2 seater? What is your current DD? Would be nice to have a second car thats for fun only! :thumbsup: A built to hell Sol, or a S2K would fit that bill! :drool: Why you sell your baby?

This is a hard question to answer Dan. I was going through the same thing like two months ago, get a loan and buy a nice wrx/sti and "not mess with it" or buy a second honda to build for fun having power, looks, handling. I really love wrx's and want one soo bad and even found a few I was seriously gonna consider buying, but once I would have bought one the "not mess with it" theory would go out the window. Then I started thinking about how bad I love my crx and how much I want to build that, and finally I decided that my crx gets 45mpg avg and would not benefit me to build that one. After that I begun the search for my candidate realizing that having a car built up to my likings is what I really want.

A week of looking on and off and I found a bone stock HF crx for 1500 and talked the guy down to 1300. Car needed a good cleaning and some minor engine repair, but runs and drives just fine. Only rust is a dime sized bubble on pass fender. So what all that really means is its mostly gonna come down to what you really want. Will you be happy with a stock car that you spent $15k or so for, or do you really want to buy a low priced car outright and put like $10K into making it how you want. That's not to say you can't modify that wrx or srt but you would be making payments on it, so you would probably feel more restricted in what you modify.

Kind of long, but I hope it can help. And trust me even after your decision you may second guess it but it comes and goes like with anything.

i vote stay w/ honda.

not sure of the year but if you're willing to travel i know where there is a JDM DC SIR-G

needs minimal love, guy wants 9 but could possibly be talked down.

i personally dislike RHD for the inconvenience, well.. unless i were a mailman.

Thinking about it, if you could get another clean DA you should def do that. You had one of the nicest DA's i've seen, and plus you have some experience with that chassis.

i know where you can get a 1993 integra GSR but it is slightly modded (racing hart C4's, lip kit, intake, exhaust, not sure which brand coil overs) last time i checked he was selling it for $5,000

It really depends on what you feel is right for you. It came time for me to get a car with a back seat again, so I decided the only used cars I'd be interested in would have been 96-00 Civics or the 5th gen Prelude. I could have easily found a Civic on day one, but decided that if I went that route, I'd have to modify it. So, I decided to go ahead and look for the Prelude instead since I've also wanted one for a long time now, and because there are very few things I'd ever care to do to it. I drive the speed limit, because I don't care to pay for speeding tickets and increases in insurance (especially now that my past tickets have finally passed 5 years), so I don't need any crazy performance parts. The Prelude looks good from the factory, although the optional equipment enhances that (and I'll eventually be picking up some of those pieces), and I have the base model and it handles well for being stock. There's no rule that you need to modify a Honda, although I know that it's much easier to feel the need to when you have a Civic.

I miss it too Dan. It was clean as hell. And glad Chris got some good pics before you lost it.

What are you driving around right now Dan? If you're not driving anything and you've still been able to get where you need to go, then just be patient and find what you want (saving up money in the meantime). No need to rush a purchase if you really don't need it right away. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for eventually.

I do agree with Joe (MugenCRX) that you'll probably get the itch to modify it, whatever you get, so my suggestion would be to stay away from newer models, but don't settle on features you don't want and will be forced to change (like AT).

I think that's why he is considering a newer vehicle, modding them is more complicated and less appealing to undertake. That's why I ended up getting my other crx, for now.

I know all about wanting past cars back! >_ >_< You would never consider a 2 seater? What is your current DD? Would be nice to have a second car thats for fun only! :thumbsup: A built to hell Sol, or a S2K would fit that bill! :drool: Why you sell your baby?

I couldn't do a 2-seater because a) i like having room for more people b/c i hate being a passenger, i like being in control and b) the trunks are usually really small and I couldn't fit my hockey equipment and sticks in the car.

I sold my DA cause it blew up last summer right before I moved to NY for a lifeguard job and it sat at my house all summer. When I got back I had zero interest in cars and just got rid of it. What sucks is now I'm back into cars and wish I never sold it...would have done a complete tear-down-->start from scratch.

What are you driving around right now Dan? If you're not driving anything and you've still been able to get where you need to go, then just be patient and find what you want (saving up money in the meantime). No need to rush a purchase if you really don't need it right away. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for eventually.

2002 Toyota Camry XLE....really comfortable, 35 MPG on the highway, and looks new. Also never has any problems, even after 170,000 miles. My mom got a brand new Camry and gave me her old one..

i vote stay w/ honda.

not sure of the year but if you're willing to travel i know where there is a JDM DC SIR-G

needs minimal love, guy wants 9 but could possibly be talked down.

i personally dislike RHD for the inconvenience, well.. unless i were a mailman.

RHD is not an option, this is America.

Thinking about it, if you could get another clean DA you should def do that. You had one of the nicest DA's i've seen, and plus you have some experience with that chassis.

I would love another stock DA, but only a 92-93 because I want OBD-1 so I don't have to convert it again.

i know where you can get a 1993 integra GSR but it is slightly modded (racing hart C4's, lip kit, intake, exhaust, not sure which brand coil overs) last time i checked he was selling it for $5,000

$5000 is a lot for a car coming up on 16 years old...and whatever is on it, as long as it's bolt-ons will be replaced with products I buy. Lip kit probably looks like crapt though, so that would piss me off...

I think that's why he is considering a newer vehicle, modding them is more complicated and less appealing to undertake. That's why I ended up getting my other crx, for now.

No. "Honda Tuning" is much more complicated than modifying say, and SRT-4 or WRX.

My last car was AT, then switched to MT. OBD0 switched to OBD1. non-vtec switched to vtec.

If I had an SRT-4 I'd get a WGA, FMIC, K&N AF, Turbo-back Exhuast, and minor suspension tweaking.

If I had a WRX I'd get K&N AF, Cobb Access Port, Invidia DP + Catless Exhaust, slightly larger turbo, and injecters....

See with those cars it's like 7-8 major parts, with a honda...I made a list today and it was a full page front and back. Weak.

Thanks for the replies guys...i appreciate it.

For your inputs i'll post a few pics of the cars I'd consider that aren't Honda's haha...

'02 WRX

2249975_7_full.jpg

2249975_14_full.jpg

'04 SRT-4

srt1tp3.jpg

beachshots09.jpg

I like the Electric Blue :thumbsup:

No. "Honda Tuning" is much more complicated than modifying say, and SRT-4 or WRX.

My last car was AT, then switched to MT. OBD0 switched to OBD1. non-vtec switched to vtec.

See with those cars it's like 7-8 major parts, with a honda...I made a list today and it was a full page front and back. Weak.

That's the point I was getting at. Buy something that you won't have to do a lot of work to. You can still get a Honda (if that's what you want), but don't buy one that's AT, non-vtec, and OBD-0 to begin with.

Buy what you want and upgrade the things that were never offered as stock options lol.

Especially since you have a nice Camry with good gas mileage to DD in the meantime, you can take your time finding exactly what you want.

And you can't post pics of modded wrx's and srt's if that's not what your're going to be starting off with. You have to look at it realistically. If you're on a limited budget, picture yourself in a stock WRX or SRT-4 for a while, not in one of those show-quality cars.

do what u feel. i always been a big fan of the srt4. i would love to own one. Yah i hear u on collage umm not sure what schools are in west chester. but ive been to a few partys up there. if there is nothing wrong with the teggy just drive is as it is. but good luck. i looking to grad sometime next year from delaware tech. what did you go for school for?

maybe try something different now? wrx and srt look good :D

Also, with your budget, there are cars that are in nice enough condition so that you don't have to fix all the problems with it.

I emphasize having to fix the problems here and there and it's a never-ending process sometimes lol

Archived