painting my valve cover

i have a 93 vtec d16z6 5speed.but, this year valve cover did not come with vtec logo on it,so i bought the vtec one.just wanted to know if its better to use primer on it first or is it ok to just paint.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ill ship it to you and you can bake it in your oven.let me know the results.

ship it to me, check my build thread for my VC work.

get ready to re paint it soon if you dont bake it.

I also use clear and bake it too! :thumbsup:

Do you have a link or something to a guide to doing this I'm kind of looking into repainting my valve cover sometime soon. Just interesting saw yours and looked pretty good.

Do you have a link or something to a guide to doing this I'm kind of looking into repainting my valve cover sometime soon. Just interesting saw yours and looked pretty good.

Seen which one of mine?

• 1 month later...

sorry to thread jack, but its just easier this way than to make a whole new thread about the same thing... anyways..

would i do mine the same way? i dont want mine red, im thinking yellow or purple because all the parts im putting on are mostly HKS and their stuff is mostly purple (cam gears & belt) and yellow (Intake)...

• 1 month later...

I shot 3 coats of primer, then 5 layers of high temp Duplicolor (Grabber Green), then three coats of clear. I put the clear on after sanding the DOHC VTEC letters off. I let it dry and bolted it down, it's held up great for 9 months. Baking isn't a bad idea, but unless you have a spare oven or know someone who does, just let the motor heat it on. Like I said, mine's held up great.

alright cool, ill buy an extra one from mitsubishi when i get home and send you the paint and valve cover... you need me to send the purple paint, and the clear coat right? and i appreciate it :thumbsup:

Archived