mpg?

jkm345

i'm just wondering whats everyone getting with their civics on mile per gallons. I would like to know year, model and any mods done. I have a DC2 that is getting terrible gas mileage and im starting to think of copping myself a civic so lemme know.

95 sol s (d15b7 bored over 1.7) usualy get 28-35, however day before last i got less than 10mpg for a 30 mile stretch. 5k-7k rpm in 1st 2nd and 3rd for 30 miles doesnt get you far, but damn its fun on twisty ass mountain roads.

95 civic dx sedan 5spd

header, high flow cat, exhaust, ac delete

36-42 depending on how heavily I beat the hell out of it. Regardless of my foot i never get less then 36.

Means driving like a sane human should. In a turbo car you create additional power when the turbo is 'activated', which only occurs under hard acceleration. If you keep off of it and accelerate slowly and/or cruise the turbo is just idling without producing extra power. The turbo isn't producing any power is when it is in a vacuum state and the car is running and getting fuel mileage just like a non-turbo vehicle would.

Means driving like a sane human should. In a turbo car you create additional power when the turbo is 'activated', which only occurs under hard acceleration. If you keep off of it and accelerate slowly and/or cruise the turbo is just idling without producing extra power. The turbo isn't producing any power is when it is in a vacuum state and the car is running and getting fuel mileage just like a non-turbo vehicle would.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Kinda hard to do that I would think, especially once you first get it.

• 3 months later...

i'm just wondering whats everyone getting with their civics on mile per gallons. I would like to know year, model and any mods done. I have a DC2 that is getting terrible gas mileage and im starting to think of copping myself a civic so lemme know.

You should try to get your car checked up, might need some tuning or maintenance.

'91 Si hatch, D16A6 that burns a little oil, replaced head with rebuilt last month to drive it for another inspection cycle while I build a twin cam motor. Has DC cold air intake, K&N air filter, 4-2-1 header, test tube, 2.5" OBX catback with baffle removed. Cam is advanced 1-2 degrees and ignition timing is set per stock factory specs. Compression ratio is also stock.

Gets 28.75 mpg in town and I drive it - not too hard, but still ring it out pretty much daily. Haven't had it on a road trip yet. Next test is to install the OBX baffle in tailpipe tip and measure in town mileage. Then, do same test on the highway.

• 3 weeks later...

I drive a stock 92 DX hatch and I avg between 36-40mpg with 50% of my driving on the freeway. On a road trip to CA I got a best of 47mpg. My car was stripped and I was just rolling w/ just my drivers seat. I know lowering my car helped with air resistance.

well, at highway speeds the lowering of a car would have minimal impact on the aerodynamics of a vehicle. lowering his weight would have been the dominant force in the better mpg numbers, as would keeping the speed strictly to 65 and not having a lead foot (if that was the case)

theoretically, it should make the fuel mileage marginally worse as the smaller space under the car would help to increase downforce and increase the impact of friction with the tires.

well, at highway speeds the lowering of a car would have minimal impact on the aerodynamics of a vehicle. lowering his weight would have been the dominant force in the better mpg numbers, as would keeping the speed strictly to 65 and not having a lead foot (if that was the case)

theoretically, it should make the fuel mileage marginally worse as the smaller space under the car would help to increase downforce and increase the impact of friction with the tires.

Lowering a car makes it moar aerodynamic and lessens the uplift force, especially at greater speeds. This would only increase gas mileage.

technically, lowering a car doesn't change it's aerodynamics at all as the shape of the vehicle is still exactly the same.

if we are talking about an airplane wing, where the bottom is flat and the top is rounded. the air accelerates over the curved top of the wing but remains constant under the wing. this causes lower pressure over the wing and produces lift. a car is a different scenario due to proximity of the ground. the car splits the air and forces some over and some under. the amount of air forced under the car is approximately the same regardless of the height of the vehicle. with a lower car the air is compressed and accelerated under the vehicle. the lower you are the more it accelerates. the accelerated and compressed air causes the pressure under the car to be lower and thus generates additional down force. the faster you go the more down force created.

Archived