J Swap?!

Recently saw a civic with a J-series V6. anybody out there doin this type of project? Just curious as to the cost. I am thinking of scrappin the b series project n tryin the J swap.

I hear ya there, that its a tight fit, but some of the fastest cars around have so much crap shoved in the engine bay. Anyway that V6 is a tight fight in the accord to begin with. I'm just thinking about it, I never said that I was gonna. I just wanted to see if it was as "fun" as the K was in my buddy's EM1.

Figures first post would be a bunch of negativity from someone who has never swapped anything before. I haven't done it, but that is exactly what I would like to do to my car. I have been doing my homework for EVAR. Just wish I had more funds.

I have been searching for a transmission that I can afford for 6 months now. The rest of the parts are easy to find and relatively cheap, I just can't stomach 1200+ for an LSD 6 speed.

I have calculated, if you do your own wiring conversion, that you could complete the swap in the 3k range. Includes trans, motor, axles, ecu, column(explain later), suspension, harness, hood and exhaust.

Figures first post would be a bunch of negativity from someone who has never swapped anything before.

just pointing out that its not gonna be a walk in the park. and i have done a swap. only 1, but i have still done one.

Anything easy ain't worth a damn.

Besides, everyone and their brother has a B swap civic. I even have two in my little town of 1200 people. Never even seen a J swap in person, and everyone says don't bother it's too hard means I want to do it more.

Finally, someone who enjoys a challenge; not some quitter. "its too hard" who says that anymore in the honda world. People are puttin in some crazy engine combos. So why not something different. OHIO people love a challenge and thanks to anybody with positive feedback.

Finally, someone who enjoys a challenge; not some quitter. "its too hard" who says that anymore in the honda world. People are puttin in some crazy engine combos. So why not something different. OHIO people love a challenge and thanks to anybody with positive feedback.

Thats because all their cars are filled with fist sized hole of rust, and if they screw it up, or stop midway they just fold it up and throw it away!:p

Thats because all their cars are filled with fist sized hole of rust, and if they screw it up, or stop midway they just fold it up and throw it away!:p

You don't know how true this is. Old 90's civics and wicked cheap and in plentiful supply in OH.

I am thoroughly in love with this swap. I may never find the time or money to pull it off but it is certainly something I dream about: running 12's in the 1/4 and getting 30+mpg commuting on an entirely 'stock' arrangement that would easily cover 200k miles like every other Honda motor.

30 mpg on the j series? really? cuz i only get 18-20 with mine. it only gets close to 30mpg on nothing but highway driving.

Remember, the Civic is lighter than your CL. The K-powered Insight gets 40mpg.

Remember, the Civic is lighter than your CL. The K-powered Insight gets 40mpg.

Bingo.

A stock interior Civic with a J weighs (guessing) ~600-700 pounds less then a CL-S.

Since you questioned it I did some research a-la Google:

Original EPA sticker from a 03 3.2CL 6spd indicated 28mpg, even the modified new EPA mileage is 26mpg. Toss that into a car that weighs about 20% less and 30+ highway cruising mileage should be a piece of cake.

The are a number of fuel economy blogs and forums where drivers of 3.2CLs note hitting 30mpg or higher in the default configuration without the weight loss the civic offers.

Realistically: if I had a v6 in my sedan I doubt I would even get 20mpg. I would never be able to keep my foot out of it.

Since you questioned it I did some research a-la Google:

Original EPA sticker from a 03 3.2CL 6spd indicated 28mpg, even the modified new EPA mileage is 26mpg. Toss that into a car that weighs about 20% less and 30+ highway cruising mileage should be a piece of cake.

The are a number of fuel economy blogs and forums where drivers of 3.2CLs note hitting 30mpg or higher in the default configuration without the weight loss the civic offers.

Realistically: if I had a v6 in my sedan I doubt I would even get 20mpg. I would never be able to keep my foot out of it.

i want one in the hatch. maybe then we could experience actual torque lawl

If you do not mind the tiptronic, type s setups can be found all over the place. Problem is that, according to random people on the interweb, that less then 5% of all j series v6's had manual transmissions. Fewer still have lsd manuals. So far i have been unable to find a crash type s with a manual at any price. I have found usable automatics for under 1k, but the trans will run me anouther 900-1100 depending on how far i want to drive to get it.

j would be cheap if you fab your own mounts, splice your own harness and respline your own hybrid axles. Those three things alone will run you a shade more then 1k if you have to store buy them. nothing unreasonable, but out of my range at this time.

i have a friend that has it in his white 98 integra.. he said it has plenty of balls but it was a SOB to swap.. plus he had to cut a hole in his hood for it to fit with the hood closed..

heres his teg :: IMG_9687_8_6.jpg

id love to see it done in a civic but i wouldnt put it in my sol..

on a civic, to retain all your power options and ground clearance you do. If you don't mind losing power steering and losing a little clearance you can make a stock hood clear.

lift the hood by putting longer bolts and washers in the hood and itll work without cutting it.. im going to have to do that to mine because my VC rubs the bottom of my hood and made my VC look ugly >_<

Archived