J Swap?!

With the default height that store bought mounts give you, from hasport or api, the engine will sit high enough that your frame crossmember is the lowest part of your front end. The bottom of the oil pan sits higher up and doesn't hang down. In that situation you have to put the hole in the hood. TBH I think the cut hood looks a little bad ass myself. Throwback to the old blown v8's with the intake sticking up out of the top.

I have seen another guy keep his ground clearance and then bought a snorkel style CF hood. He cut most of the separator out between the two inlets and glassed it all together. It fit over the motor, kept his clearance and didn't look terrible.

It wouldn't look bad. I agree. Problem is the j is too new of a project for any companies to be pressing out or molding new hoods. I am sure it will happen in the next couple years though.

fab up one lol. just cut out like you normally would then take a piece that is a little bigger than what you cut out, put it on a metal roller to get some bends in it. then just put a little roll upward on the hood itself so they match up. then get it put all back together :D

you know.... im kinda contemplating doing this now. Originaly i was going to drop the I5 from a vigor in, but doing the J seems a little less problematic. As far as the hood goes, should be too much of an issue (then again i am a A&P mechanic, who did most of my work in sheetmetal fab) plus i have all of the tools ill need, it will be just like making a countersunk patch panel.

The hood is the least of the worries. Finding the transmission you want is by far the biggest hassle: tiptronic/auto, 5spd, 6spd or LSD 6spd? Getting the harnesses spliced together is the next problem. deal with the headache yourself? Or spend ~$300 and have someone do it for you?

you know.... im kinda contemplating doing this now. Originaly i was going to drop the I5 from a vigor in, but doing the J seems a little less problematic. As far as the hood goes, should be too much of an issue (then again i am a A&P mechanic, who did most of my work in sheetmetal fab) plus i have all of the tools ill need, it will be just like making a countersunk patch panel.

exactly. thats what i was getting at in the above post but didnt know what to call it lol

The hood is the least of the worries. Finding the transmission you want is by far the biggest hassle: tiptronic/auto, 5spd, 6spd or LSD 6spd? Getting the harnesses spliced together is the next problem. deal with the headache yourself? Or spend ~$300 and have someone do it for you?

do it just to say you did and use the spare $300 for some goodies

I have seen pictures of the people doing the splices. The wiring conversion is epic. The newer J harnesses have nearly twice the wires that the older civic harnesses had.

I agree. But they must not have taken the plenum spacer off of the intake manifold though. That j sits so much higher then everyone elses. Either he custom made his mounts or just skipped a step.

• 1 year later...

i have a 93 civic ex that im in the process of j swaping... the engine may weigh allot but hey u build the engine right that will help u with traction cuz when your running 8 lbs of boost in that motor your right around 400-430 hp and the swap is cheap as hell compared to others i highly recommend them plus every one and their mother is b swapping civics and k swapping civics just go for it cuz when u can whip the shit of a ferrari 355 gt on the track all day long u wont b disappointed

Figures first post would be a bunch of negativity from someone who has never swapped anything before. I haven't done it, but that is exactly what I would like to do to my car. I have been doing my homework for EVAR. Just wish I had more funds.

I have been searching for a transmission that I can afford for 6 months now. The rest of the parts are easy to find and relatively cheap, I just can't stomach 1200+ for an LSD 6 speed.

I have calculated, if you do your own wiring conversion, that you could complete the swap in the 3k range. Includes trans, motor, axles, ecu, column(explain later), suspension, harness, hood and exhaust.

www.car-part.com

the harness is easy find a diagram

I agree. But they must not have taken the plenum spacer off of the intake manifold though. That j sits so much higher then everyone elses. Either he custom made his mounts or just skipped a step.

haasport makes 2 diff sets of mounts

Archived