What kind of gear fluid do I use

Those charts are completely meaningless as they are clearly funded by Amsoil themselves. They only studies done on them ARE by them. It's such a sham. Show me an independent test using their stuff.

if they were trying to make themselves look a lot better then everyone else why would they tie them selves with valvoline syntec?

and my manual DID say 10w-30 oil

and it doesnt grind

and i used valvoline

like i said, for those of you who want to put your oil to the test let me know, ill need a 5 fl oz sample.

ok, I'll bite since the thread is unlocked now.

How exactly are you going to test these oils against each other?

P.S. My brother works in a Fluid Analysis lab, so just humor me.

thermal break down capacities

Maximum friction force before failure

Abrasive resistance

Foaming properties (in high RPM settings some oils like to "froth" this is BAAAAAD)

Viscosity throughout heat range

Will be having my chem instructor (Masters in Mechanical Engineering and Masters in Physics with his doctoral thesis on fluid dynamics, guy is like 70, worked in labs his whole life) help me along with the Auto Tech instructors (all master techs)

Then we are going to test the forensics department to see if they can determine which oil is which biggrin.gif

Already dropped off samples of

Royal Purple 10-30 (what I use in my engine)

Mobil1 10-30 (what my dad uses in his)

New MTF Bought some cause I thought I was out of the good stuff

Old MTF (had 2 qts left, this is what ill use till i run out, then time to switch to the new stuff)

Gas station brand 10-30 dino oil (for 1.99 why not!)

Hmmmm, Well give me a around a week before you start and I'll send you my samples. I need to order some 10w-30 Engine oil in because I'm out of stock. Then I will get your address and send them up.

Along with a big fat check to make Amsoil look like it was pissed out of a god. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it will do it on its on.

Oh, and WTF is your problem with Amsoil anyways?

How the only tests are biased tests sponsored by them. As popular and awesome as you say this company is, I've yet to find an independent tests even mentioning it. Seems shady.

and SSR why would that be?

Again with the comment that has no backing. Give me REASONS! Not that I dont trust you, you are the tranny god on this site, but I have almost always used the OLD MTF and had nothing but great things from it, yet the 1 trans I used 10-30 on went to hell.

So.... SSR, why should we use 10-30, and not Honda MTF?

thermal break down capacities

Maximum friction force before failure

Abrasive resistance

Foaming properties (in high RPM settings some oils like to "froth" this is BAAAAAD)

Viscosity throughout heat range

Lot of work to find out what probably been posted on BITOG several times for a vastly higher number of samples.

Lot of work to find out what probably been posted on BITOG several times for a vastly higher number of samples.

yes but I didnt do those tests, so TBH... I dont trust them.

That and im waiting to hear back from SSR.

yes but I didnt do those tests, so TBH... I dont trust them.

That and im waiting to hear back from SSR.

I would since most of them are developed by 3rd party labs with vastly more technical capacity and experience with standard-acceptable results.

At the very least it can provide a suitable base line which is necessary with any test results. What are you going to do if some of your results varies greatly from other VOA's?

will be doing a minimum of 3 series of tests, if any thing strays off of the other series then we will retest, because at that point we will assume that there was either a testing failure, or there was contaminants in the sample. From there we will then determine the mean average based off the 3 tests scores (or more should it come to that, rejecting any test result that comes back out of tolerance.) We will not be comparing any of our results to any other source for a baseline, as different bottles, contain different amounts of chemicals in their compounds, especially if they are from different batches. Also the person that will be overseeing the experiment is extremely proficient in fluid dynamics, and chemical composition, and we have a full university lab at our disposal, so as far as experience and availability to equipment, that should be no problem, seeing as how he is probably the one that taught the other people how to run the experiments.

will be doing a minimum of 3 series of tests, if any thing strays off of the other series then we will retest, because at that point we will assume that there was either a testing failure, or there was contaminants in the sample. From there we will then determine the mean average based off the 3 tests scores (or more should it come to that, rejecting any test result that comes back out of tolerance.) We will not be comparing any of our results to any other source for a baseline, as different bottles, contain different amounts of chemicals in their compounds, especially if they are from different batches. Also the person that will be overseeing the experiment is extremely proficient in fluid dynamics, and chemical composition, and we have a full university lab at our disposal, so as far as experience and availability to equipment, that should be no problem, seeing as how he is probably the one that taught the other people how to run the experiments.

Many published sources use more samples from many product batches for each oil and average the results. Production variance IS something you want to consider. Like I said, doing a little background research and lurking BITOG is probably a good idea as there are members on that site who are VERY expert in oil analysis and even had a hand in developing the very oils you'll be testing.

And for everyone else, any person in this field will tell you that the real testing happens outside of the lab. If what your using works, then keep using it as no amount of lab test results are going to be worth the paper they are printed on as far as your engine/transmission/etc. is concerned. Meaning OP, if what you have in there is 10W-30 now and it's been working, don't really need to worry about MTF or anything else. Manual Transmissions are VERY easy on oils compared to engines and automatics so a modest 10W-30 is entirely fine if your car calls for it. Do what Honda suggests.

and SSR why would that be?

Again with the comment that has no backing. Give me REASONS! Not that I dont trust you, you are the tranny god on this site, but I have almost always used the OLD MTF and had nothing but great things from it, yet the 1 trans I used 10-30 on went to hell.

why question at all hahaha

i say do the test.. not doing a test simply because 'someone else already has' is kind of stupid IMO.. people retest things all the time and make new discoveries all the time

im going to try to talk my fluids professor into letting me do a special project next year on oils

Many published sources use more samples from many product batches for each oil and average the results. Production variance IS something you want to consider. Like I said, doing a little background research and lurking BITOG is probably a good idea as there are members on that site who are VERY expert in oil analysis and even had a hand in developing the very oils you'll be testing.

And for everyone else, any person in this field will tell you that the real testing happens outside of the lab. If what your using works, then keep using it as no amount of lab test results are going to be worth the paper they are printed on as far as your engine/transmission/etc. is concerned. Meaning OP, if what you have in there is 10W-30 now and it's been working, don't really need to worry about MTF or anything else. Manual Transmissions are VERY easy on oils compared to engines and automatics so a modest 10W-30 is entirely fine if your car calls for it. Do what Honda suggests.

They suggest their fluid haha. I'm sayin I don't need a test to tell me that it's good since it fixed my problem years ago. Who's doing the tests? I am interested in the results. Would be a little more interested if these were going in the engine though.

They suggest their fluid haha.

Always got to find a way to make extra money. But if the owners manual says 10W-30 then it stands to reason Honda's engineers also recommend it and it will work just fine. MTF would probably get slightly better fuel economy and maybe a little extra gear noise compared to engine oil but both have a lot of the same stuff in the add-pack. MTF's have the advantage of getting additives in concentrations that engine oil doesn't get anymore because of emissions regulations too.

Archived