What kind of gear fluid do I use

I have a 1987 Honda Accord LX-i 5spd. I have heard that you can use 10w-30 motor oil and then ive heard that you use regular gear fluid. Which one do I use?

too thin

10w-30 dino oil has worked best in my car so far.

excerpt from a shop manual on servicing foreign vehicles (generic manual, not even a honda brand manual!)

Honda manual transmission fluid is required for all Hondas 1996 and newer, and is backwards compatible for older Hondas. Before 1996 it is acceptable to use 10W30 motor oil for the transmission.

Using anything other then honda mtf (or atf depending on your car) in the newer transmissions can/will cause damage to the transmission over time. There are a couple aftermarket alternative brands that are suitable but they are usually mail-order or performance shop distributed only and not the generic stuff you can buy off the shelf. Since your car is older you can use 10w30 if you would like, but honda mtf will work best.

Change the Honda MTF every 10-15k miles, it breaks down that easy.

10w30 dino in everything except the Kaaz, it gets Synchromesh or 1/2 Synchro 1/2 MTL mix it I get freebies from the dealer

you mean the newest OEM snake oil is JUNK????????????

So thin it needs...............

I'l be nice for once!

Why did you switch?

Synchromesh is not a miracle cure.

10w30 is all you need.

which version? If you can get the early stuff then run it. The new thin and watery stuff from Honda doesn't like heat.

10w30 and Synchromesh (5w30) will survive heat of road racing, but Honda's new MTF will not. Too thin.

BTW this is my customers feedback. One car even added a tranny cooler and it didn't help with the watery MTF. Switch back to Synchromesh and no more heating/breakdown issues.

and the list goes on

all from a trans guru on d-series.org (transzex) given his experience i'd say that the newer honda mtf is too thin. older stuff is better if you can find it. ..ssr.. can correct me on anything.

ill agree the older stuff was better, but still only put MTF in mine, the only trans I had go out on me I was using 10-30 on, all others have been as buttery since the day I got them... maybe coincidence... maybe not.

Just my luck, i stumbled upon an entire case of classic honda mtf, ala 1999 vintage bottles brand new in the box. got the whole case for a smile.

hardly call it snake oil. honda puts it in the vehicles they warranty. they certainly would not use a product intentionally damaging to their own vehicle and causing them to pay out more money in service reimbursements. certainly there might be something even better, but i'm gonna have to go with the multi billion dollar multinational with the R&D team employing countless engineers with higher education degrees before I believe a random dude on another random internet forum. I will put anything he wants in my transmission if he plans on giving me a warranty, until then I'll stick with what the maker recommends until I encounter otherwise in my direct interactions.

My $0.02

Just my luck, i stumbled upon an entire case of classic honda mtf, ala 1999 vintage bottles brand new in the box. got the whole case for a smile.

hardly call it snake oil. honda puts it in the vehicles they warranty. they certainly would not use a product intentionally damaging to their own vehicle and causing them to pay out more money in service reimbursements. certainly there might be something even better, but i'm gonna have to go with the multi billion dollar multinational with the R&D team employing countless engineers with higher education degrees before I believe a random dude on another random internet forum. I will put anything he wants in my transmission if he plans on giving me a warranty, until then I'll stick with what the maker recommends until I encounter otherwise in my direct interactions.

My $0.02

honda doesn't have a warranty on an 87 accord, so i doubt they will worry about if their current mtf works in his car. his manual will say use 10w-30, so why use anything else when that's what is recommended by they original manufacturer? the newer stuff deff. caters to newer cars.

this may be a random coincidence but anything that is heat sensitive does not do well in my car, and given i live in a hilly desert, things get hot. i've used syncromesh and honda mtf and after a hard mountain run you could tell they were starting to break down. i've been using plain store brand 10w-30 and have not had problems since. and don't even get me started on the royal purple i tried...

Thank you Mr Obvious on pointing out a 87 not being under warranty. :laugh:

I was just kindly pointing out that I would do what the service manual/manufacturer says long before I would do what a random forum person says to do. Speaking strictly from a historical standpoint I think Honda has a better reputation then random dude has.

Or you could buy Amsoil from me and be done with it.

Or use the best, what was made for the tranny (Honda) and be done with it. Honda MTF instantly stopped 3rd and 5th gear grinds I was having. I'll never use anything else.

i used 10w30 like the MANUAL says

follow the manual.. it was wrote to help

Honda genuine fluids (save for the motor oil) are the best fluids to use hands down. Period. Get your tranny fluid changed at a dealership and come back and tell me what they use...It automatically fixed my grinding gears so the proof is there.

check the service manual pballer, and just for craps and giggles ill do some testing this week in the chem lab at the uni for you guys to give you some cold hard data on the properties of old MTF, new MTF, and 10-30.

um yeah.... that doesnt have honda mtf listed. and why would i trust those graphs, they were made by amsoil as advertisments. If you belive that then you would probably have belived the whole "Jews are the reason we are poor" propaghanda in the 30s in germany. No thanks, I prefer to do my own research.

Those charts are completely meaningless as they are clearly funded by Amsoil themselves. They only studies done on them ARE by them. It's such a sham. Show me an independent test using their stuff.

Hey sport if your willing to send me a 5oz sample of new fluid I will run the tests on it next to the old mtf, new mtf, and a mid grade 10-30 at school, and ill post up the results. And ill even have it set in a blind study by a 3rd party so I have no idea what is what while im testing and compiling the data so you can be sure the results are unbiased.

Archived