Well, at least my day can only get better from here

Orca89

Well, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later... my first accident at the wheel. Driving along, minding my own buisness, what should have been plenty of room between me and the Ford Freestar in front of me. Guy in front of him slammed on the brakes, then he did, then I did. Unfortunately, courtesy of the 7" wide tires on my over-large rims, my car just plain doesn't stop in the rain. I was down to about 10-15 mph when I ran out of space. We pulled over into the nearest parking lot and took a look at the damage. The sum total of the damage to the minivan was two barely even perceptible scrapes on the rear bumper. Meanwhile, my bumper beam is pretty badly bent, drivers side fog housing is busted and the fog light is shoved back. Fortunately my new headlights came through unscathed.

Photo0066.jpg

Took the bumper cover off soon as I got home from attempting to register for classes... Just my luck, they told me to come back in an hour :dry:

P1000458.jpg

Looks like all I really need is a new screw and it could be usable again...

P1000460.jpg

Here you can mostly make out just how bent out of shape the bumper is. Might be able to beat it back into shape... but I'll probably get a new one.

Just goes to show you, the early bird gets the accident... Anywho, I'm gonna sign up for unemployment since jobs don't seem to be available anywhere in York.

Yeah, I'm not even sore. Thank God I was hanging back... As for the Sol, just need to get the money together to fix her up.

never say it can only get better.. cause it gets worse haha

but at least everyone is okay.. and it probably would have happened on super small tires too btw.. my car actually stops better now that i have more tire.. but i also have good brakes

never say it can only get better.. cause it gets worse haha

but at least everyone is okay.. and it probably would have happened on super small tires too btw.. my car actually stops better now that i have more tire.. but i also have good brakes

Yeah, you're kind of right... It did get worse. 'Least the new Star Trek turned out far better than I'd expected. HACC fell below my already abysmal expectations for them.

Umm... no. The difference in stopping distances between wet and dry pavement with the tires I'm stuck with is insane. If the pavement had been dry this morning, I'd have stopped in about 1/2 the distance. And it was only damp, no standing water. Maybe it's just that they're old or something... but my tires suck on anything slick. They're great when it's dry... but that's about it.

There are some good reasons to go with aftermarket rims and tires... but there are equally good ones to stick with the ones Honda spent who knows how many hours choosing as the best for the Sol's handling. I'm looking forward to getting back on the Factory Si's with tires that I actually know the proper tire pressure for.

doesn't help that these cars don't weigh squat compared to whats mostly on the road now. my friends 6,000lb galaxie 500 with signle piston calipers, non vented discs and rear drums, and touring type truck tires could stop beautifully in the rain. my car is so light (on all season tires with stock rims) that on a rainy day, when we bothed stopped at the same time, he actually stopped, i just slid on by. the tire had so little bight that a slid for quite some distance and it didn't even take any rubber off my tires. now on dry pavement, with the hawk pads and super blue brake fluid, i can stop on a dime.

Well Sarah, you were right. Apparently saying your day can only get better is even worse than saying so far so good... Jinx from hell anyone?

So, the HACC York Campus advising/administration/secretary office couldn't find their a$$es with both hands and a flashlight. They somehow managed to lose my change in major form, which means I have to go up to Harrisburg tomorrow morning to change my major so I can register for my summer and fall classes. I think I'll be taking my frustration out on COD4 until I crash tonight... Really sucks because all the things that have gone horribly wrong today can be traced either directly or indirectly to HACC's stupid staff and policies... :rant:

For the record, on wet pavement the actual size of the wheel/tire makes no difference as long as the variance from stock is not significant. The majority of the difference would come from the tread pattern and the density and age of the rubber. Old tires will not stop as well because they have hardened. High performance tires that start out with very soft compound will harden and age faster then normal tires. After a couple years they will perform much worse then plain highway tires of similar age. Tires with a high mileage guarantee will also not stop well because it is an advertising gimmick. The rubber is so hard it will last for 80,000 miles but you will most likely die in an auto accident before you hit 80k.

*If your tire is way too large you will lack the weight to disperse the water and the car will hydroplane.

**The make, model and size of tire Honda shipped OEM is not the best handling tire for the car. The tire would have been the best compromise between performance handling, ride comfort, fuel economy, torque curve and expense. Depending on which area is your primary focus for using the car the ideal tire for you may be vastly different then OEM.

***The proper tire pressure for any tire is stamped into the sidewall.

Umm... no. The difference in stopping distances between wet and dry pavement with the tires I'm stuck with is insane. If the pavement had been dry this morning, I'd have stopped in about 1/2 the distance. And it was only damp, no standing water. Maybe it's just that they're old or something... but my tires suck on anything slick. They're great when it's dry... but that's about it.

For the record, on wet pavement the actual size of the wheel/tire makes no difference as long as the variance from stock is not significant. The majority of the difference would come from the tread pattern and the density and age of the rubber. Old tires will not stop as well because they have hardened. High performance tires that start out with very soft compound will harden and age faster then normal tires. After a couple years they will perform much worse then plain highway tires of similar age. Tires with a high mileage guarantee will also not stop well because it is an advertising gimmick. The rubber is so hard it will last for 80,000 miles but you will most likely die in an auto accident before you hit 80k.

*If your tire is way too large you will lack the weight to disperse the water and the car will hydroplane.

**The make, model and size of tire Honda shipped OEM is not the best handling tire for the car. The tire would have been the best compromise between performance handling, ride comfort, fuel economy, torque curve and expense. Depending on which area is your primary focus for using the car the ideal tire for you may be vastly different then OEM.

so he said it before i did

but ive had 14s with fuzions and now 17s with raptors.. it has a lot more to do with your compound and the fact the it was just damp makes roads WAY worse cause the water just sits on the road(and oil thats been dropped from other cars) unlike in a down pour when it actually moves the water

but the fuzions i had on the 14s were sticky and rode very well and didnt wear out quickly and they're pretty cheap so that might be an option when you get stock rims

but i also have brembo rotors and hawk pads.. awesome combo

*agreed

**well, yeah... I just kinda generalized

***no, actually the maximum tire pressure for any tire is stamped into the sidewall. The pressure the tire should have on your car, if your rims aren't stock size, definitely isn't the maximum pressure the tire is rated for, and also isn't the pressure that the stock tires should be at.

And yeah, I have no idea just how old those tires are... But they're probably old for what they are... I dunno. I don't like having 17's, I don't like having summer tires, and I'm sick of slipping and sliding in the rain. If I could shrink my rims to 16's or 15's, that'd be great. On the other hand, I love the Si alloys. *shrugs*

Sorry to hear that. Least it wasn't any worse. I've been having some of those depressing honda moments myself lol until today. I got to sit in a R34 Skyline. yes!!!!

man that sucks, but atleast the damage is minimal :) and im feeling your pain with the change in major problems :( MHCC just lost my VA paperwork, so i have to refile for my GI Bill, which means i dont get paid this month, which means i cant pay for summer tuition which means i cant goto school, which means I cant get paid at all :( Gotta love vicious cycles

Archived