"tinting" the windows

SpeedDemon

ok so ive went through $90 of window tint, i just cant get the bubbles and air pockets out. i used a squeegee, heat gun, everything! it is becoming extremely stressful, i even tried to cut them into 6" strpis then do it, it was ok till i met the seam, bubbled right up. so i am asking this

-is it a ok idea to just use black spray paint? or would that be too dark?

ive painted windows before and you could still see through them, but i dont want it to be solid black.

-dave

black spray paint will not work.

i guess you could try using transparent black paint as used for smoking tail-lights but i'm not sure how that would work out.

Make sure it is really wet while doing it. Also remember that you will never get all the bubbles out. You want to get the biggest ones out. The small ones will dry up and dissapear within a few days.

i usually get most of the bubbles out, but i waited 4 days for the rest to go away, each day was 50+ degrees so it shouldnt have been too cold.

lastresort-yeah thats about what isay, i found a shop about 40 miles from me, said they could lower the price if i bring myown tint lol. so i may just have them do it :D

$90 in window tint??? Lol, there's reputable shops in my area that will tint a 2 door car (3 back windows and 2 fronts) for $110 with a lifetime garuntee against fading and bubbles. I think you Owned yourself on this one. Of course I've done the same thing. Spent $70 on window tint all to end up not being happy and removing it to be where I started. I spent $25 to tint my back 3 just because I need to for my son back there....it's an okay job but I did it with the plans of tearing it off and having it professionally done once I can afford it.

Local guy in town here has been doing tint for 20+ years and will do a 2dr car, back window, rear sides, front sides and the front top for $200 out the door with a lifetime warranty.

With quality people doing tint like this for so cheap it entirely is not worth the effort to tint the windows yourself if you are trying for a high-quality finish.

$90 in window tint??? Lol, there's reputable shops in my area that will tint a 2 door car (3 back windows and 2 fronts) for $110 with a lifetime garuntee against fading and bubbles. I think you Owned yourself on this one. Of course I've done the same thing. Spent $70 on window tint all to end up not being happy and removing it to be where I started. I spent $25 to tint my back 3 just because I need to for my son back there....it's an okay job but I did it with the plans of tearing it off and having it professionally done once I can afford it.

yeah i did own myself on this one, im bull headed and thought i could get it done myself lol, yeah im not buying any more lol. i got so pissed last time that i punched the steering wheel....i need a new one :(...i just want tint cause i drive mostly in the early morning and evening, and i hate when the sun comes in the back windows and gets behind your sunglasses lol. i cant stand that

Local guy in town here has been doing tint for 20+ years and will do a 2dr car, back window, rear sides, front sides and the front top for $200 out the door with a lifetime warranty.

With quality people doing tint like this for so cheap it entirely is not worth the effort to tint the windows yourself if you are trying for a high-quality finish.

where at local? chillicothe? thats where im at. i just need the sides and back done. i wanna leave the front alone, makes it too hard to see at night for me, and i already got a 8" sun bar lol, i think its 2/5%....would they drop the price if i bought the tint myself and let them use it? or is it better to use their tint?...kinda like a higher quality of tint?

Didn't know you were in OH. This guy is in north-central columbus. My friends have always dropped the car off and picked it up the next day. He is kind of a wheel-and-deal kind of person and might work something out with you. I will grab his number and pass it your way for you to do what you want.

yeah i did own myself on this one, im bull headed and thought i could get it done myself lol, yeah im not buying any more lol. i got so pissed last time that i punched the steering wheel....i need a new one :(...i just want tint cause i drive mostly in the early morning and evening, and i hate when the sun comes in the back windows and gets behind your sunglasses lol. i cant stand that

where at local? chillicothe? thats where im at. i just need the sides and back done. i wanna leave the front alone, makes it too hard to see at night for me, and i already got a 8" sun bar lol, i think its 2/5%....would they drop the price if i bought the tint myself and let them use it? or is it better to use their tint?...kinda like a higher quality of tint?

I'm the same way....bull headed and needed tint so I did a so-so job to get by. Laying tint is a lot harder than it looks.

You're in Chillicothe? That's crazy. My dad's entire side of the family live in Chillicothe. Quite a few of them are teachers in the area, though I'm not sure which schools.

I'm the same way....bull headed and needed tint so I did a so-so job to get by. Laying tint is a lot harder than it looks.

You're in Chillicothe? That's crazy. My dad's entire side of the family live in Chillicothe. Quite a few of them are teachers in the area, though I'm not sure which schools.

thats cool. i probably ahve one of them lol. yeah i found a place last night in columbus that will do the sides and back for 150 if i buy the tint :D

so im guessin tinting is pretty hard. Can u use windex like layin down vynil.

You are suppossed to use soapy water...not windex (on tint that is). I've layed vinyl and tint both....vinyl is 100 times easier to lay than tint.

yeah im supposed to get my tint done tomorrow. 170 +tax to do every window with sun tech tint. guaranteed for life.

-i was gonna go with another place that uses llumar tint but they couldnt fit me in before saturday. and they only had a 90 day guarantee. same price though

so i post up some pics of my tinting if i get the chance

You are suppossed to use soapy water...not windex (on tint that is). I've layed vinyl and tint both....vinyl is 100 times easier to lay than tint.

aight well that tells me how hard tinting is then cuz vynil is not to fun either.

You'd think after you messed it up the first time you might have considered going to a professional.

eh im stubborn, i wanted to be able to call it my own work. but i did take it to a pro. i had the back 3 windows done with 5%, and the front side windows are getting 50%. i wanted to keep it legal. i got it done friday and got pulled over saturday morning lol. it was a city cop so i told him to call the state highway patrol. he comes back 5 minutes later "get out of here, go home and dont come back" i rofl'd so hard haha.

ill get some pics up as soon as i can

Going to get my windows tinted, but am going to let someone do them.

very good idea, i just got mine finished today. 5% on the back and rear sides. 50% on the front sides. these guys did a great job too, they are down here in chillicothe ohio :D. only cost me $202 total

Archived