Just got a Del Sol....

FamousSol93

most people will recommend cold air, but unless you package it with header and exhaust you wont notice any difference other than sound. i took mine off and just put the stock air box on because it wouldn't pass emissions in CA. and if you polish those rims to a nice shine, with a drop your car would look great in my opinion.

thanks I'm for sure going with a set of wheels and the drop will come soon most likely after the wheels. thanks again for checking out the ride I'll take more detailed pictures and post them tomorrow.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tachometer, aka RPM gauge

Quick video on how vtec works, if you are not familiar enough with engines to know what a cam is then you need to read this to: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

so after 4500RPM when vtec kicks in its keeping valve open longer letting more air in causing more power cause faster car? is that correct? so any time i'm going faster then 4500 RPM i'm using vtec?

The video was for a marine engine. Each engine Honda makes with vtec is a little different. I think yours might engage at 4800 (not positive).

You have the idea correct. It is a mixed technology. Lower rpm you have a fuel efficient, lower hp but higher torque cam arrangement. When you get on it and it reaches higher rpm it changes to a more aggressive cam lobe to better suit the way it is being driven at the time.

The video was for a marine engine. Each engine Honda makes with vtec is a little different. I think yours might engage at 4800 (not positive).

You have the idea correct. It is a mixed technology. Lower rpm you have a fuel efficient, lower hp but higher torque cam arrangement. When you get on it and it reaches higher rpm it changes to a more aggressive cam lobe to better suit the way it is being driven at the time.

Oh ok I get it now :) that was very helpful thank you very much.

I would trade any day of the week but I live in fort lauderdale FL and dont think I'll be in the area any time soon but thanks. Yeah big bitch but what can you do right? Yeah that moody sticker is already off and when I have the paint restored theyll take care of the scratches. I like the car without the spoiler I dont wanna make it look to Ricey I'm going for the simple sporty look like the del sol in your banner it's beautiful.

Darn, oh well, haha. Anyway, you're call on the spoiler, but the OEM spoiler is anything but ricey. And it apparently helps out with the aerodynamics... Haven't seen any actual wind-tunnel data to back it up, but based on basic aerodynamic theory... it helps. And the only reason my sol looks so good in my sig is because it's small... It's been rather brutally abused over the 15 years of it's life before I got my hands on it. Yours is in far better shape : My Sol

Anyway, glad to hear your not planning on ruining it with a bodykit or anything. There are too few Samba Sols left in the world. :thumbsup:

No wing.

Your friend probably noticed the lack of "VTEC" written on the valve cover, thus claiming it lacked it. Look for your vtec solenoid, show it to your friend and laugh at him.

im going to do the same thing cause my friends dont belive i have VTEC just cause it dosent say it on the VC

yes this would be same friend and engine hasnt been swapped. it's the same engine the factory put in. wheres the tach? how do you guys know so much bout your del sol? I've been trying to read and learn as much as I can. It's great to have people that know whats going on and are willing to help. I've tried to read different topics in this forum every night. I feel like I'm learning a little bit. Thanks to everyone whos replied and helped.

you'll come to learn these people are very knowlegable when it comes to just about any car ive learn so much since ive been here, and if someone is wrong it will be made right, just read and learn

i love when people say vtech.. it makes me giggle a little bit

umm.. i would recommend not believing anything your friend tells you from now on? kay? kay

and the z6 engages around 5k or so

and if you want to just do bolt ons.. well mine has a lightweight crank, head work, header/exhaust, short ram, and a short throw and its in about the 15s, oh and a clutch and a flywheel

this was before the crank, flywheel, and clutch.. aka before my wreck haha

in the second vid if you listen you can hear vtec engage.. but you really gotta listen for it haha

p.s. and i have a 5speed.. and mine used to be samba but the prevous owner before me did the front end conversion and it was primered and my friend painted it how it is now for me

Darn, oh well, haha. Anyway, you're call on the spoiler, but the OEM spoiler is anything but ricey. And it apparently helps out with the aerodynamics... Haven't seen any actual wind-tunnel data to back it up, but based on basic aerodynamic theory... it helps. And the only reason my sol looks so good in my sig is because it's small... It's been rather brutally abused over the 15 years of it's life before I got my hands on it. Yours is in far better shape : My Sol

Anyway, glad to hear your not planning on ruining it with a bodykit or anything. There are too few Samba Sols left in the world.:thumbsup:

I still think you're del sol looks sweet. yeah I've just never been into body kits Ive seen some nice ones and i've seen del sols with sick body kits but I wanna keep a simple sporty look and a front lip is cheap and would give it that exact look. and yeah the color kind of grew on me so I'mjust gonna have to invest in a nice cobra radar unless you know of a better radar?

i love when people say vtech.. it makes me giggle a little bit

umm.. i would recommend not believing anything your friend tells you from now on? kay? kay

and the z6 engages around 5k or so

and if you want to just do bolt ons.. well mine has a lightweight crank, head work, header/exhaust, short ram, and a short throw and its in about the 15s, oh and a clutch and a flywheel

this was before the crank, flywheel, and clutch.. aka before my wreck haha

in the second vid if you listen you can hear vtec engage.. but you really gotta listen for it haha

p.s. and i have a 5speed.. and mine used to be samba but the prevous owner before me did the front end conversion and it was primered and my friend painted it how it is now for me

I was on this forum til 130 in the morning learning what I could and trying to understand how things work and I explained to him what I learned he as shocked and I've decided to come here before I go to him r anything lol thanks guys. I'm gonna take some pictures and post them later for you guys to check engine out. As far as gas I put a full tank of premium and in my opinion I feel like the car has run alot better. Do you suggest to keep using it or go with Regular?

If you put in a little higher octane once in a while, it'll help clean out the fuel system.

But regularly putting it in, won't help at all. Use the recommended octane rating (which is probably 87)

Oh and here's a vid. You should be able to tell the difference in sound at around 4500RPM. At that time, I just had an exhaust.

Unfortunately you only hear the difference in first gear. This is gears 1-3.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/rz...rrent=Accel.flv

just to clarify, stock vtec engagement on a d16z6 is 4800 rpms. You wont hear or feel as noticeable a "kick" on the d-series as you would in ssy...an H22, or K20a2. god, that h22 really screams at 5200.

a reference for d-series specs

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedwa...ginespecs1.html

You sir have the best '93 incarnation of the del Sol (minus the autotragic). It is the Si with the VTEC equipped D16z6. The best of the D series engines, IMO. You only need to run 87 octane in this engine.

Valve cover could use a little work, but overall it's a pretty clean looking del. Swap in a manual tranny and you will have yourself a great little car.

Welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

are you sure about the gas I've only put premium in one tank and I'm due for gas so I wanted to double check should I go with regular or would it be better to keep using premium?

as stated a few times already, 87 oct is good for that engine. If the premium "made it run better", it's probably just because there was old gas in there and the fresh gas cleaned out some moisture in the system. 87 would have had the same effect.

You sir have the best '93 incarnation of the del Sol (minus the autotragic). It is the Si with the VTEC equipped D16z6. The best of the D series engines, IMO. You only need to run 87 octane in this engine.

Valve cover could use a little work, but overall it's a pretty clean looking del. Swap in a manual tranny and you will have yourself a great little car.

Welcome to the club.:thumbsup:

Thanks for welcome and I'm glad to read that I have a great car cause for a while I was alittle bummed out but this site has made me feel a lot better bout the del sol. and Regular gas it is. Question I know you said I have the best D series engine but I've read that other engines like H22 or K22 would be better not til I have the money saved but would you suggest rebuilding my current engine and hooking that up or getting a whole new different engine all together? thanks for the info

Really depends on what you're going for, which since you're going for a fun/track car... definitely swap the engine. A D16Z6 gives you a nice blend of power and mileage, leaning more towards mileage. B, K, or H series motors will give you a significant amount of power over the Z6... with a far higher potential too. A K-series will make the engine bay look really clean too :thumbsup:

And the Sol is one of the better cars out there... It's the P51 to the normal F-15, a purer, more fun driving experience. Nothing better than taking the top off and going for a spin. :laugh:

*edit*

Here's a K24 in a Sol, makes the engine bay sparkle

DSC00676.jpg

Thanks for welcome and I'm glad to read that I have a great car cause for a while I was alittle bummed out but this site has made me feel a lot better bout the del sol. and Regular gas it is. Question I know you said I have the best D series engine but I've read that other engines like H22 or K22 would be better not til I have the money saved but would you suggest rebuilding my current engine and hooking that up or getting a whole new different engine all together? thanks for the info

I'm somewhat biased in that I'm a D series fan (who doesn't like D's after all? :p ) The z6 loves to be turboed and has potential in the 200 HP range on stock internals and 400HP range if it's built correctly all while maintaining amazing mileage qualities. It weighs the least of the honda engines of its day and has more torque relative to the B series. For the amount of money of a B swap you can make 50% more power over the B out of a boosted z6 so there's really no question in my mind.

You need to upgrade the tranny if you take any direction though. :wink:

Ever watch Top Gear? The only thing worse than an autotragic are the Formula One style paddles bleh . And the semi-automatic transmissions... If done right, not too horrible... If done like a modern digital camera.. absolutely awful.

Archived