Just got a Del Sol....

FamousSol93

Ever watch Top Gear? The only thing worse than an autotragic are the Formula One style paddles bleh . And the semi-automatic transmissions... If done right, not too horrible... If done like a modern digital camera.. absolutely awful.

i can hear jeremy now "stupid flappy apddle gear box!!"

but yeah if you want to have fun with the car and don't feel like going all out then boost would be cool

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever said 4800 RPM's was correct (I think it was Orca, but can't remember now).

Yes, you have vtec. Notice the solenoid? It's located to the top left of your valve cover. If you have trouble finding it, even after comparing it to the picture I posted earlier in this thread, look for the green plug to the top left and there you'll find your solenoid hiding out.

I run mid-grade/plus (89) in my Sol, it hates when I use 87.

see everybody bashes on autos

but if you get up into crazy power cars.. they're AUTO.. not ALL automatics have to be super slow

and a 5 speed swap could prove to be a pain in the ass

All Automatic Honda's have to be super slow though. Sure, they're are plenty of fast auto cars (MKIV Supras, tranny swapped Terminator Cobra's, etc...) but all of those cars that are fast auto cars, are fast auto cars from the factory. Bottom line is that a Honda auto tranny is weak for very much power and (to my knowledge) nobody makes any type of build up kits for the honda auto trannys.

Whoever said 4800 RPM's was correct (I think it was Orca, but can't remember now).

I will take the credit for that.

Don't listen to these guys with their mountains of swap this and turbo that. Start off by learning you car and fixing and tinkering with what you have. A year from now, once you have some Honda knowledge in your head, then think about swaps and boost. For now keep it simple.

I will take the credit for that.

Don't listen to these guys with their mountains of swap this and turbo that. Start off by learning you car and fixing and tinkering with what you have. A year from now, once you have some Honda knowledge in your head, then think about swaps and boost. For now keep it simple.

lol, sorry, after catching up on the thread i couldn't remember :p

anyway, agreed. unless your engine is shot, you have no need to think about replacing it right now. you have a lot to learn about the car (and you need to not listen to that friend anymore) before you should worry about modifying it to any extent.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I'm the one who knows very little about engines here, and your giving me credit for knowing when VTEC kicks in? :p

Heck, I need to go out and look for my solenoid, 'cause I'm not entirely sure if I have VTEC. Sure, it's on my valve cover... but I don't really notice anything beyond what I'd expect from the power curve after passing 5k RPM's... *shrugs* On the other hand, I don't have a Z6, so... well, me and my fricking A. Doesn't even have the dignity to have a bloody number on the end.>_<

I don't have a Z6, so... well, me and my fricking A. Doesn't even have the dignity to have a bloody number on the end.>_<

Again in English?

I can't remember as far back as when my Sol was stock, but I don't recall ever not being able to hear vtec in it.

Again in English?

I can't remember as far back as when my Sol was stock, but I don't recall ever not being able to hear vtec in it.

I have a JDM D16A. I've tried to pay attention, but I can't really tell if VTEC engages or not. *shrugs*

Anyway, I brought this up awhile ago, but to refresh everyone's memory, I have the engine from this:

Honda%20HR-V.jpg

Honda HR-V

Actually, mine's from a 96, when they still looked the same as the CR-V of the time. But that looks better :p

Anyway, I was trying to avoid thread-jacking, but I guess I'll let you know if I find the solenoid or not tomorrow.

*edit*

Ok, actually it looks like a Volvo XC90 knocked up a Porsche Cayenne and Honda adopted the baby.

Thanks for welcome and I'm glad to read that I have a great car cause for a while I was alittle bummed out but this site has made me feel a lot better bout the del sol. and Regular gas it is. Question I know you said I have the best D series engine but I've read that other engines like H22 or K22 would be better not til I have the money saved but would you suggest rebuilding my current engine and hooking that up or getting a whole new different engine all together? thanks for the info

K22 ftw! :laugh:

on a more serious note....first off, get some good suspension ( adjustable coilovers or something). That should make for a much funner ride. Then, if you really wanna be faster, look into boosting that motor. Piece together a turbo kit. But first, read about it for a good 4-6 months. By then, you should know what to ask about on here.

lol, sorry, after catching up on the thread i couldn't remember :p

anyway, agreed. unless your engine is shot, you have no need to think about replacing it right now. you have a lot to learn about the car (and you need to not listen to that friend anymore) before you should worry about modifying it to any extent.

I completely agree I dont plan on doing anything major to engine before I learn more about the car and learn what everything is and all that. I'm gonna start with restoring the paint. throwing on a set of wheels, possibly intake and exhaust, dvd player, tail lights, etc.... and not all at once either thats just a list of things I'd like to get started on not really in any order.

My tranny is starting to kick when it shifts any one know anything about that. It's an auto tranny too btw.

I'm somewhat biased in that I'm a D series fan (who doesn't like D's after all? :p ) The z6 loves to be turboed and has potential in the 200 HP range on stock internals and 400HP range if it's built correctly all while maintaining amazing mileage qualities. It weighs the least of the honda engines of its day and has more torque relative to the B series. For the amount of money of a B swap you can make 50% more power over the B out of a boosted z6 so there's really no question in my mind.

You need to upgrade the tranny if you take any direction though. :wink:

wow thats great to hear :) let me ask you then my engine has 200K(alot of highway) on it still running great had all services done on time wasnt really ever driven hard when it comes done to either rebuilding it or getting a swap what would you recommend? I have an auto tranny and it's starting to kick when it shifts know anything about that?

Really depends on what you're going for, which since you're going for a fun/track car... definitely swap the engine. A D16Z6 gives you a nice blend of power and mileage, leaning more towards mileage. B, K, or H series motors will give you a significant amount of power over the Z6... with a far higher potential too. A K-series will make the engine bay look really clean too :thumbsup:

And the Sol is one of the better cars out there... It's the P51 to the normal F-15, a purer, more fun driving experience. Nothing better than taking the top off and going for a spin. :laugh:

*edit*

Here's a K24 in a Sol, makes the engine bay sparkle

DSC00676.jpg

wow that's so amazing I bet it's fast as crap too. I still have alot to learn before I get into stuff like that though. Would you recommend lowering springs or coilovers if I wanted to change up my suspension?

I completely agree I dont plan on doing anything major to engine before I learn more about the car and learn what everything is and all that. I'm gonna start with restoring the paint. throwing on a set of wheels, possibly intake and exhaust, dvd player, tail lights, etc.... and not all at once either thats just a list of things I'd like to get started on not really in any order.

My tranny is starting to kick when it shifts any one know anything about that. It's an auto tranny too btw.

Looks like you know what you're going to be doing, can't wait for a build thread :thumbsup:

As for the Tranny... well, in my experience, Auto's kick when you accelerate hard. It's just what they do. Our 2004 Pilot kicked like a mule whenever it shifted under acceleration from day 1.

wow that's so amazing I bet it's fast as crap too. I still have alot to learn before I get into stuff like that though. Would you recommend lowering springs or coilovers if I wanted to change up my suspension?

Based on what I've learned from HF, probably coilovers... But I'd say go with something adjustable, so that if you're ever somewhere were ground clearance is an issue, you can pick it back up to stock height. That's what I plan on doing, so I can drop it down about 2 inches whenever I get out of PA.

And about the whole stick with the Z6 thing... I'd say swap it for something with power whenever you feel like it, but hang on to the Z6 for if/when you want to return it to an economical yet fun car. Might as well rebuild it while it's out of the car too. :happy:

Looks like you know what you're going to be doing, can't wait for a build thread :thumbsup:

As for the Tranny... well, in my experience, Auto's kick when you accelerate hard. It's just what they do. Our 2004 Pilot kicked like a mule whenever it shifted under acceleration from day 1.

Based on what I've learned from HF, probably coilovers... But I'd say go with something adjustable, so that if you're ever somewhere were ground clearance is an issue, you can pick it back up to stock height. That's what I plan on doing, so I can drop it down about 2 inches whenever I get out of PA.

And about the whole stick with the Z6 thing... I'd say swap it for something with power whenever you feel like it, but hang on to the Z6 for if/when you want to return it to an economical yet fun car. Might as well rebuild it while it's out of the car too. :happy:

I just don't understand this. Why spend money on a swap when he could boost the D16z6 for about half the cost.

For about $2800 he can swap a B18C1 and get about 145whp

For $1500-2000 he can boost the D16z6 and get 200whp. Cheaper, more power, and still very reliable with a good tune.

The only reason I would suggest a swap is if you have a bunch of money to throw around and want to build a really high hp car....even then the D16z6 can make in the 350whp range built fairly easily and more than that if you really wanted.

i would say not to go with full adjustable.. kind of overkill unless your racing it

I have tokico blues on my car and you can sit it up a little higher/lower but i go on some crazy hills when im at school and as long as i go slow and angle it its not too bad.. i dont scrape a lot at all.. and i mean my front fender is right by my rim/tire and i havent hit it yet(one of the first questions i always get asked is how it hasnt happened yet)

your choice though.. if you feel like spending extra money on full adjustable suspension just so you dont have to spend so much time adjusting height when you go somewhere go right ahead.. but you might be better off using that extra money for something else

aka tokico blue struts: $250-300

tokico adjustables $500

+1 on the d series being SOOOOOOOO much better then the B :D ... stock for stock i guess b makes more power but i prefer d

+1 on the d series being SOOOOOOOO much better then the B :D ... stock for stock i guess b makes more power but i prefer d

I agree, but he wants to race it, so save the D for when he realizes it makes an awesome, fun daily driver :thumbsup:

i would say not to go with full adjustable.. kind of overkill unless your racing it

I have tokico blues on my car and you can sit it up a little higher/lower but i go on some crazy hills when im at school and as long as i go slow and angle it its not too bad.. i dont scrape a lot at all.. and i mean my front fender is right by my rim/tire and i havent hit it yet(one of the first questions i always get asked is how it hasnt happened yet)

your choice though.. if you feel like spending extra money on full adjustable suspension just so you dont have to spend so much time adjusting height when you go somewhere go right ahead.. but you might be better off using that extra money for something else

aka tokico blue struts: $250-300

tokico adjustables $500

I wish thinking lowering springs. I've seen springs Skunken2 I think and Tein Springs on ebay for under $300 and they'd lower the car about 1.8 inches.

I just don't understand this. Why spend money on a swap when he could boost the D16z6 for about half the cost.

For about $2800 he can swap a B18C1 and get about 145whp

For $1500-2000 he can boost the D16z6 and get 200whp. Cheaper, more power, and still very reliable with a good tune.

The only reason I would suggest a swap is if you have a bunch of money to throw around and want to build a really high hp car....even then the D16z6 can make in the 350whp range built fairly easily and more than that if you really wanted.

I think while I'm in the learning stage I'm gonna keep the engine and rebuild it. I've heard the same thing that the D16Z6 is def. worth keeping. I heard if built right it can get 500 hp so we'll see what happens as I start working on it.

I wish thinking lowering springs. I've seen springs Skunken2 I think and Tein Springs on ebay for under $300 and they'd lower the car about 1.8 inches.

On stock shocks, the Skank2's will blow them out really fast....too stiff of a rate. 90% or more of the Tein Springs on ebays are fakes. With them you'll have an uneven ride height (one side lower than the other side) and the springs will sag and not ride as nice. Go to a reputable online store to order the Tein Springs.

wow thats great to hear :) let me ask you then my engine has 200K(alot of highway) on it still running great had all services done on time wasnt really ever driven hard when it comes done to either rebuilding it or getting a swap what would you recommend? I have an auto tranny and it's starting to kick when it shifts know anything about that?

If the z6 isn't leaking or burning any oil it should be good for another 100K I'd bet. If you plan on boosting it I'd still replace some seals just to be sure, but it should handle mild boost just fine with little to no worries. This is, of course, without having inspected your engine.

In my experience when an auto tranny starts shifting hard 90% of the time it's time to replace the fluid and filter. 10% of the time the bands need to be adjusted.

Archived