I know we have all tried..

Well I know Drew doesn't want something like all of the noobs have to answer certain questions before they post etc.. but Drew should do something like when someone first signs up to become a member when they first sign on they should get a tutorial PM telling them their way around the boards and they should have to atleast read it first, because I noticed MANY of the new people don't know of the "view new posts" button and they post what they have for sale etc.. in many different sections thinking they are being tricky but they are really just cluttering up the boards, for example the user "rx8extreme" posted a thread called "Hot Enkei Wheels !!" in the Civic, Prelude, S200, and Accord sections but not one thread in the classifieds section where it belongs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screw it. Noobs rule HF anymore. They're not going to read a tutorial, and the mods are not going to impose something that might make a new person get fed up and leave. This forum is not that big and the mods/admins want as many people to join as possible (rightly so). While it's a good idea for the HF Regs, it's probably not the greatest idea for Hondaforums.com as a whole.

Nate you make a good point, but they should atleast have some kind of section or something where new members can figure out things right away, because im sure when TL or VR or CRG delete all of those threads that one guy made about the wheels and move one of them to the calssifieds and he gets warned he is going to be more upset then he would if he had to take 2 minutes to read how things work.

Maybe a section called "New Members.....Everything you need to know"

Then we could throw all the good stickies in that forum, like How does VTEC work, Turbo Sticky, etc.....

This is a really good idea, and make is the first section they see when they first sign on.

Nate you make a good point, but they should atleast have some kind of section or something where new members can figure out things right away, because im sure when TL or VR or CRG delete all of those threads that one guy made about the wheels and move one of them to the calssifieds and he gets warned he is going to be more upset then he would if he had to take 2 minutes to read how things work.

Most people who join, post up Classifieds (especially in more than one forum), never really come back to the board. They join up to try to sell their stuff, do this on multiple forums, and that's that.

Still, would it be that bad to have a FAQ section?

We could have all kinds of good answers to standard questions that would be a good resource even to regs sometimes since they could avoid searching for answers to little questions.

Mods could keep conversation in those forums to a minimum by locking threads and having new info handled through edits/emails to the OP, or requiring a review of new threads made there. That way we could keep the info top notch.

This keeps things open and easy for people who just come here to sell their stuff and get out.

Then we could throw all the good stickies in that forum, like How does VTEC work, Turbo Sticky, etc.....

i like this 1..

Yeah get rid of the Personal Electronics forum and replace it with this.

another complaining thread. ay yi yi..

look at any other board. its the same damn setup as any other one (except maybe a few different thread areas). though your idea is good, and actually helpful to new members, it'll never happen. hell, i didnt realize the new post button for a while when i first joined lol.

seriously guys...it ain't no different here than any other forum. I still have not found a forum where at least one "noob" would do something any experienced forum dweller finds "noobish". If you ask them to search and read the New Poster FAQs, they won't read...no matter how many times you ask them to...they come here for one reason and one reason only and that's to ask their noobish question.

We are all here to share...if you can't share then you are of as much use as a newb with the a "dumb question." So instead of just saying "SEARCH YOU NEWB!" and leaving it at that, also point them in the right direction by including a previous thread covering the topic. Give 'em a hard time I don't mind, but help them out on the way. I will have no qualms deleting a newb post as much as I will have no qualms deleting a regs post that does not contribute to the "COMMUNITY" part of this forum.

seriously guys...it ain't no different here than any other forum. I still have not found a forum where at least one "noob" would do something any experienced forum dweller finds "noobish". If you ask them to search and read the New Poster FAQs, they won't read...no matter how many times you ask them to...they come here for one reason and one reason only and that's to ask their noobish question.

We are all here to share...if you can't share then you are of as much use as a newb with the a "dumb question." So instead of just saying "SEARCH YOU NEWB!" and leaving it at that, also point them in the right direction by including a previous thread covering the topic. Give 'em a hard time I don't mind, but help them out on the way. I will have no qualms deleting a newb post as much as I will have no qualms deleting a regs post that does not contribute to the "COMMUNITY" part of this forum.

we have a winner

instead of regs saying "whats a v-tech", you can still say that, but below it, have VTEC* or something, otherwise your post is pointless and the noob wont learn anything

Speaking of noob posts......maybe we should try reading the thread before posting. Nobody talked about giving the noobs a hard time by saying "SEARCH YOU NEWB!". This thread is about making it easier for the noobs to find the info they need. If all the main FAQ were in the same location this it would 1. be easier for the new members to find all the info the seek, and 2. Be easier for the regs to point the new members toward a helpful thread.

It seems like we are not allowed to make any suggestions about improvement on the forum without gettin attacked by the mods like above. So, if that's the case, then the section "Board Questions, Feedback, Suggestions and Help" needs to be removed or altered to take out suggestions and feedback.

And yet the noobs still would not read...which was my original point. If a majority of users bypass service agreements and many of the FAQs and stickies, then what's the use of adding another FAQ? If users, such as I and many of the regs learned to read long threads and comprehend, then a lengthy FAQ would make sense. Good suggestion, as said earlier, but would not really solve anything unless the board IQ significantly rose. Noobs, labeled as such, not knowing any better would often bypass long service agreements and wordy documents to get to whatever it is they need. The simpliest way a noob could find info is getting the answer to their question.

Board Questions, Feedback, Suggestions, and Help Forum is just that, to provide the help for a person about the entire board. It's like a customer service line...you're lost, we're here to help you out. Simple as that.

they have the search option period. all they have to do is search the topic , doesnt matter which one cause they have all been touched at some point or another , and get a hundred hits. people will do what they do , its that simple. no matter what you do to the site , some dum or lazy bastard is gonna register , and post a question. mods should start stickying step by steps and the stuff that is asked the most in each topic like hung said , simple.

And yet the noobs still would not read...which was my original point. If a majority of users bypass service agreements and many of the FAQs and stickies, then what's the use of adding another FAQ? If users, such as I and many of the regs learned to read long threads and comprehend, then a lengthy FAQ would make sense. Good suggestion, as said earlier, but would not really solve anything unless the board IQ significantly rose. Noobs, labeled as such, not knowing any better would often bypass long service agreements and wordy documents to get to whatever it is they need. The simpliest way a noob could find info is getting the answer to their question.

Board Questions, Feedback, Suggestions, and Help Forum is just that, to provide the help for a person about the entire board. It's like a customer service line...you're lost, we're here to help you out. Simple as that.

I already stated the advantage. It would have all of the FAQ in a centralized location so the regs could find the post to link to (for the new members in a matter of seconds). This way when someone asks how VTEC works, it would only take seconds to grab the link and provide it to them. Whether they choose to read the information at that point is up to them.....but it would be much easier to provide it to them.

Again, I wonder why the suggestion part is in the title of this forum when any suggestion is automatically mis-interpreted, and you guys fail to see what we are even trying to suggest. You gripe about us compaining again, and that's not what this thread is about. Geez, I would think a mod of an online forum would be more literate and be able to at least understand what the suggestion is in the first place.

I think a lot of people are in denial about a noob problem and that noobs are inevitable. Sure they're inevitable but I think what Hung and Chubs are trying to do is get them off the right foot.

I'm not suggesting this, I'm just bringing it up: The DSM tuners forums don't allow emails signed up with hotmail or yahoo or gmail to register because free accounts are easily accessable and well...free. This is protection from spammers, haters, and generally middle school kids with nothing better to do. And if that person gets banned, they have to pay for another email accout to get back in. One problem though is that it will limit actual users who wanna be in HondaForums.

Right.......this thread is to give ideas on how to make it easier for noobs to get off on the right foot and to make it easier for the regs to get them the info they are looking for. This is not one of those, "ban the noobs" posts, but a "how can we help the noobs" posts.

Archived