I know we have all tried..

Yeah, most regulars know how to use the search function.....but God forbid we attempt to improve the forum and make things easier to access and find. If we had a how-to section I garuntee it would spark an interest for more threads in that sub-forum. I know that I have about 6 how-to's on detailing that I would do, but it would look kind of stupid with a half a page of stickies in each sub-forum.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm done in this forum. There have been many regs already state in here that they would find a how-to section useful, but the mods still refuse to consider the idea. Obviously any new ideas or suggestions that aren't from the mods aren't even considered. Things get shot down without a thought. Apparently an interest by many regs doesn't even make a difference. Mods rule again!! :bash:

Yeah, most regulars know how to use the search function.....but God forbid we attempt to improve the forum and make things easier to access and find. If we had a how-to section I garuntee it would spark an interest for more threads in that sub-forum. I know that I have about 6 how-to's on detailing that I would do, but it would look kind of stupid with a half a page of stickies in each sub-forum.

Detailing belongs in the Interior/Exterior forum. If you post your threads up, they will be linked in the stickied FAQ at the top of the I/E forum. Likewise in any other sub-forum that you may have a how-to to post up. I did ask in the past that anyone help out in creating the FAQ stickies at the top of every sub-forum.

Think about it... if there were a how-to forum, it would have everything from cleaning your car to building an engine and everything in between. It would contain TONS of threads, and be harder to find anything in.

Well, I'm done in this forum. There have been many regs already state in here that they would find a how-to section useful, but the mods still refuse to consider the idea. Obviously any new ideas or suggestions that aren't from the mods aren't even considered. Things get shot down without a thought. Apparently an interest by many regs doesn't even make a difference. Mods rule again!! :bash:

What is being suggested would be a MESS.

The main point of what is being suggested is already in place in a couple of the current forums (stickied FAQs).

Sorry, but your last post makes me have to post one more time.....

Obviously you are showing that Hondaforums is much less capable of running a productive forum than most of the others I'm on. Somehow my other forums seem to have this section and make it work without being cluttered. I guess it's too difficult for some forums.

It wouldn't be a mess at all if the person who created it had any type of organization skills. It's done on many other forums and very productive..... it's not as hard as it seems and a quick view on team-integra can show how it's done.

By done with this forum I meant this topic....not forum.

Sorry, but your last post makes me have to post one more time.....

Obviously you are showing that Hondaforums is much less capable of running a productive forum than most of the others I'm on. Somehow my other forums seem to have this section and make it work without being cluttered. I guess it's too difficult for some forums.

It wouldn't be a mess at all if the person who created it had any type of organization skills. It's done on many other forums and very productive..... it's not as hard as it seems and a quick view on team-integra can show how it's done.

By done with this forum I meant this topic....not forum.

If you're talking about the DIY forum that's on that board... it's much easier when the board is dedicated to one model. HF spans every Honda model, as well as Acuras, so you'd have a DIY/How-To section that contains the information for countless vehicles. That would equate to a mess. Sure, you could then divide that forum into sections, but then you're no better off than having a stickied FAQ in the current sub-forums.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I can see where your coming from, but still think it could be useful. I do think it might be more complicated for noobs to find there way around, but I have no doubt that it would be beneficial to the regs that already know there way around the forum. Oh well, maybe I'll just do some how-to's in the interior/exterior section and have you link to them in the main sticky. Sorry for getting so bent out of shape on this one......had a rough day and sometimes it comes out on HF.

Alright I guess I didn't get my point across, I NEVER said anything complain about new members and how they cant search and many other things etc.. I suggested a way to help new members when they first sign up so when they make a post they dont get flammed away, rather you consider me a regular or not just becuase I joined in 2006 is beside the point, this suggestion was made to help YOU out Ashley and all of the other mods, if such a thing was made then you wouldn't have to clean up as much bull sh!t from new members because they would know when and how to do something and if they do something wrong hense make 4 threads about selling wheels in all the wrong sections then you can warn him saying "if you would have read the tutorial you would have known not to do this", but I guess just becuase I make a thread trying to help out and it automatically turns into a huge debate on how everyone hates noobs and I NEVER said anything about that in the original post. I was just trying to help, but now I know that my help or anyone else that is not a moderator is not wanted.

I already stated the advantage. It would have all of the FAQ in a centralized location so the regs could find the post to link to (for the new members in a matter of seconds). This way when someone asks how VTEC works, it would only take seconds to grab the link and provide it to them. Whether they choose to read the information at that point is up to them.....but it would be much easier to provide it to them.

Again, I wonder why the suggestion part is in the title of this forum when any suggestion is automatically mis-interpreted, and you guys fail to see what we are even trying to suggest. You gripe about us compaining again, and that's not what this thread is about. Geez, I would think a mod of an online forum would be more literate and be able to at least understand what the suggestion is in the first place.

I just wanted to say that granted, the second part of my original post is a gripe and I'm sorry you got all hung up on that but you know, I wasn't even commenting on your FAQ Section idea at all. This thread was originally started as a help the newb navigate through the forums tutorial/FAQ/what have you. The whole "EVEN IF YOU HAVE A FAQ, A NOOB MOST LIKELY WOULD NOT READ, EVEN IF FORCED" was the original point of my first post. That's what I tried re-iterating my second post. Yet somehow I'm considered "thickheaded" and needing to be more literate? I'm sorry you feel that way.

Alright I guess I didn't get my point across, I NEVER said anything complain about new members and how they cant search and many other things etc.. I suggested a way to help new members when they first sign up so when they make a post they dont get flammed away, rather you consider me a regular or not just becuase I joined in 2006 is beside the point, this suggestion was made to help YOU out Ashley and all of the other mods, if such a thing was made then you wouldn't have to clean up as much bull sh!t from new members because they would know when and how to do something and if they do something wrong hense make 4 threads about selling wheels in all the wrong sections then you can warn him saying "if you would have read the tutorial you would have known not to do this", but I guess just becuase I make a thread trying to help out and it automatically turns into a huge debate on how everyone hates noobs and I NEVER said anything about that in the original post. I was just trying to help, but now I know that my help or anyone else that is not a moderator is not wanted.

I'm sorry if you feel as though my comments were directed towards you. The majority of my comments in this thread have been made for various people, within the same post.

There is a Help section that goes through all of the forum basics. Other than that, there are a couple of FAQ sections (more may be added, but the ones that are there now don't really help the situation, so I don't see the point in wasting my time making more when they're not used).

Yeah, we appreciate help around here, but I don't see the reason for this thread to be this long when what you're asking for pretty much exists already.

I just wanted to say that granted, the second part of my original post is a gripe and I'm sorry you got all hung up on that but you know, I wasn't even commenting on your FAQ Section idea at all. This thread was originally started as a help the newb navigate through the forums tutorial/FAQ/what have you. The whole "EVEN IF YOU HAVE A FAQ, A NOOB MOST LIKELY WOULD NOT READ, EVEN IF FORCED" was the original point of my first post. That's what I tried re-iterating my second post. Yet somehow I'm considered "thickheaded" and needing to be more literate? I'm sorry you feel that way.

Sorry BuddySol. I had a really rough day with finals week and all. While that's no excuse, I shouldn't have called you thickheaded or illiterate. My opinion on the subject is still the same, but I shouldn't have gotten so worked up and mean about it. I hope you'll accept my apologies. It just seems like sometimes, any suggestion made is instantly preceived as a complaint, and that bugs me. THis thread is nothing like the other one and isn't even geared 100% towards noobs. It would be nice if you guys would at least humor us and say you would think about the idea (even if you don't) rather than shooting the idea down the second we post. Some of our ideas are not bad, and are pretty good suggestions (not complaints). Again sorry to you and CRG for losing my temper and being a butt.

Sorry BuddySol. I had a really rough day with finals week and all. While that's no excuse, I shouldn't have called you thickheaded or illiterate. My opinion on the subject is still the same, but I shouldn't have gotten so worked up and mean about it. I hope you'll accept my apologies. It just seems like sometimes, any suggestion made is instantly preceived as a complaint, and that bugs me. THis thread is nothing like the other one and isn't even geared 100% towards noobs. It would be nice if you guys would at least humor us and say you would think about the idea (even if you don't) rather than shooting the idea down the second we post. Some of our ideas are not bad, and are pretty good suggestions (not complaints). Again sorry to you and CRG for losing my temper and being a butt.

This thread being a complaint does not apply to all of the posts in it, or even the original post. There are some that are more of complaints than suggestions, though. I'm not going to go through the thread and point out which are complaints and which aren't, but if you weren't complaining then don't worry about it, because it didn't apply to you then.

If anyone wants to help out making more FAQ stickies, or add to the ones that are there, then great. Unfortunately, I took the time to make the ones that are here now, and I haven't really seen them utilized much, so I did not waste any more time digging through the forums finding topics to add to them.

No worries. It's all apart of everyone trying to do what's best for the board...nothing goes smooth when you have a million people giving input. We all should want to contribute our own special touch to the forum and some of the regulars do which is a great thing. Anyhow, we do our best at taking suggestions and thinking about them. If we choose to discuss it with members, so be it. If it comes off as an attack then I'm guessing that's because it's coming from a mod. I'm willing to bet, if I and CRG7 had said what we said as regulars it would have been brushed off as added debate since that's how we are and just stating our mind on the topic. That's just what I think, if you choose to agree or disagree is no harm on me. I ain't telling you how to think, just telling you how I see it since you were willing to say how you see it.

whoa this topic is super ahh you ken X4 long!! :ph34r:

:lock: jk jk

chubs i agree.. we should let the noobies somehow have moderator previewer before post til i dont know 8-10 legitiment post before they can post freely, that way we can edit thier post if the spell VTEC with an H or a K. but most of the noobs that say at HF for less then a week, we should probaly encorage them with a introduction forum welcome.. that kinda works i think...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I guess I need to reply and I must say I am quite impressed. When you all start discussing stuff like FAQ's and ways to improve the forum you all become these authors writing books and crap and when you all talk about Honda's you post like 2 words.:thumbsup:

The whole FAQ/Tutorial thing is something I've been pondering over for a long time (6 months at least). I've done a lot of research and am trying to come up with the best solution that will be easiest for the members to access, use, contribute to and to manage. [just so you all know, I spend a lot of time behind the scenes researching ways to make this site better. I don't want to just throw all kinds of new crap on the site, I like to be able to slowly improve on the direction of the site and me being one person with little money, it also goes slow]. So I am working on these issues that you describe and I do read these posts.

Thanks for the input, suggestions, feedback and gripes.

drew, is there any way you can set up an automatic pm message sent to new members signing up that they can read as soon as they join. in that email, you should send this link:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

as well as this picture, and a welcome to the site.

weknowdrama.jpg

Yeah, I watched the video, but I don't like how it references another sites board. I can though setup an auto new PM when a member joins that pops up for them to read and we can certainly come up with some good text to put in it. Why not save the image for when a topic gets all drama and you can just post it.:thumbsup:

Ok so I guess I need to reply and I must say I am quite impressed. When you all start discussing stuff like FAQ's and ways to improve the forum you all become these authors writing books and crap and when you all talk about Honda's you post like 2 words.:thumbsup:

The whole FAQ/Tutorial thing is something I've been pondering over for a long time (6 months at least). I've done a lot of research and am trying to come up with the best solution that will be easiest for the members to access, use, contribute to and to manage. [just so you all know, I spend a lot of time behind the scenes researching ways to make this site better. I don't want to just throw all kinds of new crap on the site, I like to be able to slowly improve on the direction of the site and me being one person with little money, it also goes slow]. So I am working on these issues that you describe and I do read these posts.

Thanks for the input, suggestions, feedback and gripes.

Thanks Drew :thumbsup:

Archived