I know we have all tried..

Right.......this thread is to give ideas on how to make it easier for noobs to get off on the right foot and to make it easier for the regs to get them the info they are looking for. This is not one of those, "ban the noobs" posts, but a "how can we help the noobs" posts.

Thank you Nate and Harry, New members have just as much right to be on this board as us, BUT we would like them alot better and get along with them alot better if they knew how to start off, in return you will have more members staying and less leaving because we scared them off.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the thing is though, we all know that new people to the site arent going to read a post no matter how obvious it is that it would help them. anybody that comes to this site is going to do what they think is fastest, which is posting a new thread and asking. also, a noob is going to post a thread anyway with his question because it will give him a chance to talk about his/her car, and possibly brag a little bit about it trying to get some respect, and everybody here likes bragging about their car when they get the chance, no matter if they are a noob or reg, i mean, look at dan (90). lol. IMO, all we can do is deal with each "noob" as they come.

Not true....again.....if a noob makes a post asking what VTEC does, it would only take us seconds to post the FAQ link explaining it all rather than completely explaining it each time. Once we provide the link, it's up to the noob to read or not to read. If they don't want to read, then big deal.....the thread has been answered......if they do, then great....they learn.

so basically take all of the stickied stuff and put it in one place? that would make some sense, because theres a FAQ for where to buy a motor in the del sol section, but not in the engine section

lets say that a FAQ section is made. a noob posts a thread and we point him to the FAQ section. Dont get me wrong, some noobs will actually go and read it, but there are also those lazy noobs out there that will just reply "why cant you just tell me here?"

and then they will get flamed, and end result nobody gets helped and we all have a headache.

I guess what im trying to say is, that no matter how easy we make it seem to be, we wont be able to get away from most of the noob issues. people are just too lazy.

lets say that a FAQ section is made. a noob posts a thread and we point him to the FAQ section. Dont get me wrong, some noobs will actually go and read it, but there are also those lazy noobs out there that will just reply "why cant you just tell me here?"

and then they will get flamed, and end result nobody gets helped and we all have a headache.

I guess what im trying to say is, that no matter how easy we make it seem to be, we wont be able to get away from most of the noob issues. people are just too lazy.

Because you wouldn't just point the to that section, you would point them to a specific sticky in that section and inform them of the FAQ for future questions they might have.

Because you wouldn't just point the to that section, you would point them to a specific sticky in that section and inform them of the FAQ for future questions they might have.

yeah just paste the link(s) so they can click there and get the answers

For those complaining that there needs to be a section where noobs learn the controls of the board (since this is what this thread is REALLY about, and not the stickied threads necessarily): there already is one. It's the "Help" section. It's located at the top of the forum (on EVERY page): http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?act=Help . Obviously, none of you took the time to look at it, so what makes you think a new member will?

As for the stickied threads... they help out in the sub-forums that they are located in. Sure, some of them could be found in other sub-forums, but putting all of them in the same place would not have the great noob-problem-solving effects that some of you think it will. There is no way to solve all of the noob-issues. It happens on every forum, and will continue to happen no matter what you do... unless you block off new registrations or enforce something such as the quiz before registering. Sure, people complain about noobs and hate on them on every forum, for the most part, but this is the only board I've ever been on where this issue comes up at least twice a week... and the worst part... it wasn't always like this. So here... my noob rant for this week is towards all of you "noobs" that joined at any point in 2006, and now are considered regulars...

Well, here's an almost seperate question. Would it be possible to add a tutorials section, which only contains how-to's? team-integra has a section like this and to this date I find it useful. They have everything from how to install your suspension, how to clay bar, how to make your own rear subframe brace....etc. and it is very useful.

Edit: and why is that anytime a suggestion is made, you mods call it complaining.....in the grown up world this is called conversation....discussion. You saying we are complaining, when we are only discussing ways of improvement is what gets the regs all pissed off.

yeah i agree with the how too thing. theres a bunch on here, like the roller paint, i did one for my velvet interior, hung has done a few for detailing, and its hard to find those searching through the forums sometimes

Well, here's an almost seperate question. Would it be possible to add a tutorials section, which only contains how-to's? team-integra has a section like this and to this date I find it useful. They have everything from how to install your suspension, how to clay bar, how to make your own rear subframe brace....etc. and it is very useful.

Edit: and why is that anytime a suggestion is made, you mods call it complaining.....in the grown up world this is called conversation....discussion. You saying we are complaining, when we are only discussing ways of improvement is what gets the regs all pissed off.

There are obvious distinctions between a suggestion and a complaint. When people are moaning about a new member spelling something wrong, not searching, etc, that is a complaint. A suggestion would be a way to avoid this (although, there is NO way to avoid this).

Sure, such a section would be nice... in theory. Take a look in the Civic sub-forum and the Interiors and Exteriors sub-forum... I made stickied FAQ's in both of those forums, containing links to a few of the most commonly asked questions. Guess what? Even after those threads were stickied, questions that are answered in them were asked time and time again. In theory, this is a great idea... in reality, a handful of people will use it, while the others will continue to post without searching.

---

Don't get me wrong, just because someone joined in 2006 doesn't mean they can't be a regular... and no, I don't hate everyone that joined in 2006 or whatnot (before that war begins :rolleyes:). This forum has had the noob problem just as any other board, but it wasn't until the last half of this year that this has taken over all other discussion on this board. Having these threads pop up once a week, or more, or have it be mentioned in any other thread is worse than having new members not use the search function.

yeah i agree with the how too thing. theres a bunch on here, like the roller paint, i did one for my velvet interior, hung has done a few for detailing, and its hard to find those searching through the forums sometimes

Perfect example. This is a member who is a REGULAR on the board. The Interiors and Exteriors FAQ has been stickied for some time now (at least a couple of months)... which includes the link to Hung's detailing thread (engine bay)... and this REGULAR doesn't even know it's there... yet new members are supposed to read them?

There are obvious distinctions between a suggestion and a complaint. When people are moaning about a new member spelling something wrong, not searching, etc, that is a complaint. A suggestion would be a way to avoid this (although, there is NO way to avoid this).

Sure, such a section would be nice... in theory. Take a look in the Civic sub-forum and the Interiors and Exteriors sub-forum... I made stickied FAQ's in both of those forums, containing links to a few of the most commonly asked questions. Guess what? Even after those threads were stickied, questions that are answered in them were asked time and time again. In theory, this is a great idea... in reality, a handful of people will use it, while the others will continue to post without searching.

---

Don't get me wrong, just because someone joined in 2006 doesn't mean they can't be a regular... and no, I don't hate everyone that joined in 2006 or whatnot (before that war begins :rolleyes:). This forum has had the noob problem just as any other board, but it wasn't until the last half of this year that this has taken over all other discussion on this board. Having these threads pop up once a week, or more, or have it be mentioned in any other thread is worse than having new members not use the search function.

First, this topic has nothing to do with complaining about spelling, etc......that's why it's not complaining but rather, suggesting.

You didn't really address the how-to section being added. Since this wouldn't really be a search, but more of a "what are some do-it-yourself mods I can do to my car", then it could be a useful asset to the forum. We could do a poll to see how many members would find a how-to section useful.

First, this topic has nothing to do with complaining about spelling, etc......that's why it's not complaining but rather, suggesting.

You didn't really address the how-to section being added. Since this wouldn't really be a search, but more of a "what are some do-it-yourself mods I can do to my car", then it could be a useful asset to the forum. We could do a poll to see how many members would find a how-to section useful.

Actually, I did address what would happen if such a section were to be added. It may be helpful to some new members, but the majority of them will not take the time to read it before posting away. Like I said, there are such sections in the Civic and Interior/Exterior forum, and yet the questions that are answered in those sections are still repeatedly posted up in new threads. Then, look at airjordan's recent post, and my response. When there are regulars who don't utilize the FAQ stickies, then why should new members?

---

colinpowell.jpg

Actually, I did address what would happen if such a section were to be added. It may be helpful to some new members, but the majority of them will not take the time to read it before posting away. Like I said, there are such sections in the Civic and Interior/Exterior forum, and yet the questions that are answered in those sections are still repeatedly posted up in new threads. Then, look at airjordan's recent post, and my response. When there are regulars who don't utilize the FAQ stickies, then why should new members?

I'm not even talking about adding it for the noobs. This would benefit regs as much or more than noobs. It would contain stuff that wouldn't be searched anyway, like how to change springs/shocks, how to fix the haze in your headlights, how to install a camber kit....etc... This would benefit everyone and not in anyway directed toward a noob. I seriously think everybody would get good use out of that.

Perfect example. This is a member who is a REGULAR on the board. The Interiors and Exteriors FAQ has been stickied for some time now (at least a couple of months)... which includes the link to Hung's detailing thread (engine bay)... and this REGULAR doesn't even know it's there... yet new members are supposed to read them?

actually i did know it was there, but im saying there are other things that are not stickied (kind of off topic) but it would be nice to have one section, that is all do it yourself, and step by step stuff, instead of looking through the other sections to find it. in the del sol section theres a sticky on where to buy a motor? why isnt that in the engine section? also in the civic section, theres a stickied, "where are you from?" doesnt have to do anything with a civic, should be in GD. just saying it would be nice to have them all in one section so you dont have to go through all the other sections searching for something.

I'm not even talking about adding it for the noobs. This would benefit regs as much or more than noobs. It would contain stuff that wouldn't be searched anyway, like how to change springs/shocks, how to fix the haze in your headlights, how to install a camber kit....etc... This would benefit everyone and not in anyway directed toward a noob. I seriously think everybody would get good use out of that.

1. Most regulars know how to use the search function.

2. This is what, the third time I'm having to type this?: Your engine bay detailing how-to thread is linked in the first post in the stickied FAQ in the Interior/Exterior forum. It's a clean thread, there are about 4 links total, with nice little spaces in between to make it easy to read... and at least one regular doesn't know where to find the link to this detailing thread.

3. Having a sub-forum with threads from all different forums in it will be a big mess that is harder to sort through than the current setup. Having stickied threads in the current sub-forums would be a lot easier, but from the ones that I've already made in the past, it's clear that they are not utilized very much by new members OR regulars.

actually i did know it was there, but im saying there are other things that are not stickied (kind of off topic) but it would be nice to have one section, that is all do it yourself, and step by step stuff, instead of looking through the other sections to find it. in the del sol section theres a sticky on where to buy a motor? why isnt that in the engine section? also in the civic section, theres a stickied, "where are you from?" doesnt have to do anything with a civic, should be in GD. just saying it would be nice to have them all in one section so you dont have to go through all the other sections searching for something.

The motor sticky in the Sol section was there before the Engine sub-forum was added. And even with that being stickied in the top of the Sol section, there are still threads posted in there from time to time asking about buying a motor.

The Where are you from sticky will be unstickied and locked up shortly. It's too long, and very outdated.

Archived