When I'm Gone

..SSR..

I got back on at the dealership I used to work at.

So I now work from 11-10 and run my business in my other time. Thats why I won't be posting all the time.

I love detailing (well at least my own car). My car gets waxed once a month and a full detail every 4 or 5 which now includes too many steps to list. I've learned a lot from autopia.org and almost become addicted to detailing my car. I even use the 2 bucket wash method and my car gets washed or quick detailed every night. Sometimes both. I think I would like doing it for a living if I was in a bigger city where you can get some of the top dollar clients.

i just use Mercedes Ardex products every saturday. they're the best detailing products on the market, although Car Brite wax is mad good...

i use 2 buckets, one for wheel/tire soap and one for the body so brake dust doesn't get into the body soap.

That's definately a broad statement and I disagree highly. Even the best product is not going to be the best on every color. For example, Pinnacle Sovergn Paste Wax is without a doubt the best depth and reflection you can get on a black or red car. On a white car, natty's blue is going to be better. Of course Sovergn is $70 a can. Also you have to weigh durability against the shine, so saying something is the best is to broad to be true, it depends on your definition and each persons situation. For a garaged, non daily driven black car, sovergn is the best. This wouldn't be practical for an outside parked daily driver though since you'd have to re-wax every 2-3 weeks. S100 and PS21 is some of the best stuff for around $20 -30 and has a good combo of durability and depth/shine.

Not only that, but a wax can only be as good as the surface that it's put on. Without the proper prep (clay bar, polish, glaze, etc) no wax is going to give really good depth.

No offense, but it would be like night and day on your car with a coat of S100 or PS21 or especially Sovergn compared to what you have on there.

Also, you should be using 2 buckets to wash the car (not counting wheels,.....just the paint of the car). You should have one bucket for rinse and rinse the brush/wash mit into the rinse water everytime before dipping it in the soap bucket. This keeps from contaminating the wash bucket with the dirt you just got off the car. It's been proven to reduce and almost completely remove micromarring caused from washing. This is especially important on a black car.

well, the reason i say Ardex is the best is b/c i've used everything crapty at pep boys, the zaino waxes, some of the fancy stuff you were talking about i've used...but for my black car with scratches and imperfections in the paint like none other, i've never used a product that makes it look like new. i washed it, clay-barred the entire car, used a foam pad for polishing and a wool pad for buffing, used one coat of Ardex professional hard wax, then went over that with Ardex Viper liquid wax real quick to give it an extra shine. my car has never looked so good...the paint is swirlless, scratchless, but not dentless...lol...

The reason i say it's the best is b/c Mercedes-Benz is detailing cars such as teh SL65, Maybach, and McLaren...i don't think they would just use any old products on these cars, so they use imo the best on the market. one can of professional window cleaner is $20...it's ridiculous...oh and their soap and brake dust buster(ACID) is incredible too.

i only use a wash mit on my car, what do you use Hung?

Well it's all perspective, just because that's the choice of Mercedes, doesn't mean it's the best. It's all preference.

I use either a sheepskin mitt or the new Mother's wide angle body brush. That thing is softer than any mitt I've ever used. Nothing is as important as rinsing your mitt or sponge before re-dipping into your soap water though.

If you really took the time to work out the imperfections, then you'd be amazed at the look any higher end wax could give. If you lived closer to me, I'd work over your car for you (if you'd let me). I'd clay bar, do a couple of coats of Sonus SFX-2 followed by Poorboy's EX Sealant w/ Carnuba, topped with Meguiars #26 or Natty's Blue (depending on how long you'd want it to last). You'd be amazed at the difference.

I seriously suggest that anybody that wants to learn more about detailing, proper techniques, and the best care for their car to check out autopia.org. You don't even have to join, just read through some of their topics and you'll learn a ton.

Of course, extreme detailing is not for everybody, but if you're on a car forum then I'd assume that most of us care about our cars and the way they look.

Archived