JDM?

Ballinfrogs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All I was saying is that when people just latch onto a trend like JDM because it's fashionable, that's stupid. If you like JDM for JDM quality, that's fine, but I think it's stupid to like it cuz other people do. And honestly, it really seems like that's what we've got goin' on right now. I'm done talking about this. If you like JDM that's cool by me. I just hope you like it for the right reasons, or else you're making some very poor puchase decisions based on a trend that's only gonna change soon enough.

if you look at a true jdm car straight from japan, everything you see on that car comes stock with it, its oem. so in that sense i dont see it as trendy because thats the original look. look at it this way, would you rather have the usdm b18c5@195hp or the jdm b18c@210hp? and its not poor purchasing decisions based on a trend, if you dont have the money to frackk with it the right way then dont even bother with fixing up your car. id send you the link for the apc company but the site is down.

On that same token...

It's a trend because it's not STOCK on USDM cars. More people purchase JDM parts that have no real functionality other than to achieve a look of a car they will never have. Then they'll sit there and re-name their chassis code to whatever code the highest sport model in Japan has. People care more about JDM now than they ever did before and everyone knows that you can make a pretty penny off of calling something JDM. When people have to go out and get a RHD conversion, slap the tilted Op2 sticker above the exhaust, and hang a beginner driver plaque in the window...that to me is a trend. Again, I agree with TSJohn...it has been about performance, but apparently that has fallen to the wayside since many are just after the look.

I didn't read through most of these, but granted, I hate how JDM is becoming the new thing to do. However, I hate even more than that the fact that most of you assume that anybody that does the JDM thing, is doing it because of the trend. That's stupid. To say that anybody that goes JDM is just being trendy is stupid. Some people (me included) do things to their car because that's what they like. I couldn't care less if any of you like my car, I do and that's what matters. Alot of people that are in to JDM do it for the right reasons, so it's pretty low of anybody to accuse them of just being in the trend, when you don't really know the person's intentions.

I deffo agree with BuddySol and HungGSR on this one. BuddySol seems to get what I'm talking about with the economics of it being a trend. HungGSR is right on with how there are some people out there doing it right, as InfinitePrelude pointed out. If a car looks nice, I'll like it. I just think that too often people start messing with the look of their car cuz it is a trend, and they don't have the money or time to do it right. Then it looks cheap and ricey, which I don't like. Clashing colors and angled stickers? I didn't know that was part of it, but again, that can work. It just usually doesn't for me.

It's green and yellow. And yes, it's the "beginner driver" sign. And I don't know...it looks upside down to me...

There's also an "elderly driver" one...it's the orange and yellow, tear drop shape.

Sponsor stickers are cool if you're racing. And you have sponsors.

Dunno why you'd want a begginer driver sticker on your car.

the beginer badge is required in japan if you just got your license, once you reach senior citizen status then you need the elderly badge. the tear drop shaped one.

That would actually be a really good idea here in the US of A. How many times have you seen a really bad driver doing something stupid on the road and when you pass them you see an old fart in there who doesn't look like he knew that he just did somethings stupid? This way you'd know to give them a wider berth. It should also be required on cars that had gotten lots of tickets or in big accidents, or at least on folks that had gotten a DUI.

I guess I can see the appeal of going JDM. It could be cool to have a car that looks like it came right from another region. My only problem with it is that its so popular I see a lot of people trying it and cheaping out in my area (especially cuz it's so expensive right now), so it really sours me on it. If you got the time and taste to do it right, then it's cool by me. Not that anyone needs my permission or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say it is gay if you have liked it.. just because it is a trend doesnt mean you can bag on it.. i mean look at hawthorne heights, falloutboy, hxc emo bull crap... no one liked it now everyone does... does it mean you stop listening to it and turn to rap? no (or country or techno or jazz whatever) JDM is a trend but why not be different in following that trend? its easy make your car how you want it not how everyone else percieves it to be... stop complaining on what is cool and what is not.. its your own personal choice.. thank you

Some people go strict JDM OEM (including optional equipment, or not), JDM aftermarket, or both. Some people do it because it's the "trend", and some simply prefer it - and have researched it.

JDM does not have to = clean. There are a lot of JDM OEM and JDM Aftermarket parts that are hardly clean. Most provide function, but then there are those that are simply for looks as well.

basically anything you come across isnt fully functional or functional at all.. appearance wise. I believe he was just refering to oem jdm parts not aftermarket... thats how "JDM" is being used now-a-days anyways... it actually gets annoying when someone comes up to you and says "dude/chick thats JDM, sweet" or "I want JDM headlights" yet they are ghetto projector lights, you know somethign hideous. Evidently it just depends on your definition of "JDM" all in all make your car the way you want it... be a trend setter

basically anything you come across isnt fully functional or functional at all.. appearance wise. I believe he was just refering to oem jdm parts not aftermarket... thats how "JDM" is being used now-a-days anyways... it actually gets annoying when someone comes up to you and says "dude/chick thats JDM, sweet" or "I want JDM headlights" yet they are ghetto projector lights, you know somethign hideous. Evidently it just depends on your definition of "JDM" all in all make your car the way you want it... be a trend setter

you dont know what youre talking about.

Archived