Another new owner in need of upgrade/improvement assistance.

OldSchool007

every motor has pros/cons and it is the person's choice

best thing that can be done is give the pros/cons for each motor and let the individual decide what he/she wants.. main reason i dont like b's is because they are too much $$ for not much power and not much motor

same thing goes on in the supra world (7m vs 1jz vs 2jz).. diference is most people say why they choose a motor instead of just saying one is better lol

I completely agree with it. It entirely depends on what the person is going for that owns the car, and what trade-offs they are willing to make.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hell if he turbos or swaps the motor and decides he doesnt like it...get a muscle car. yeah thats right i said it. but face facts, a 4cyl can never produce the "fun" torque a v8 can. or even a straight six motor(rb26 240)

i want a rb26dett 240sx

its all in what you want. why limit yourself when there is a ton of options out there

careful.. you might get disowned from HF for agreeing with the dseries

haha jk idc

guy i met sunday bought that miata cause he couldnt get enough power n/a out of a honda lol rotary ftl imo but w/e

Hey now, easy on the rotary bashing...my other car is 2008 RX-8.

So ummm WTF is this thread about??:crazy:

The thread was originally about help and suggestions on what to do with my Del Sol, but it looks like it has turned into a bit of a debate over d versus b series, with a little rotary nod thrown in for flavor. Getting back to the Del Sol, I'll have some more updates tomorrow.

Some good news came out of todays mechanical exploration as the compression came back strong on all cylinders, and the timing belt looks to have another 10k to 15k left in it. I'll probably change it in 7k when I do the 150k service to be on the safe side, but at least it buys me a little time. I'm going to hold off on doing anything about the rims until the tires need to be replaced.

Which means that suspension is probably going to be the next thing addressed. It seems a lot of people in the Honda community are big fans of coilovers, but I'm also considering just replacing the springs, struts, upgrading the anti-sway bars, adding a front strut tower brace and changing out the bushings. I don't want to go to extreme being it is going to be my daily driver, and the streets around here are pretty rough.

brian your funny. for the price of a b swap I now have 2 motors, 3 transmissions, and enough spare parts to build a whole nother del sol haha.

seriously tho, the reason i love my Ds are as follows

1.) CHEAP AS FAWK! I mean seriously cheap, people practicly give away d16's and their transmissions. So, build one while you have the other

2.) Mine have been reliable, and very efficent. My last D in my first solvic made it to 209K miles, I bought it with 78K on it 3 years before it was totaled. NEVER had a problem with it, and I beat the hell outa it.

3.) Great aftermarket support, I can find parts ANYWHERE.

4.) No mount swaps, axle swaps, wiring, etc, just plug and play motors :)

Honestly Id rather spend the 2k from a B swap (to get what.. 20HP?) on a turbo and a built D (that gets 100+ more HP)

The thread was originally about help and suggestions on what to do with my Del Sol, but it looks like it has turned into a bit of a debate over d versus b series, with a little rotary nod thrown in for flavor. Getting back to the Del Sol, I'll have some more updates tomorrow.

Some good news came out of todays mechanical exploration as the compression came back strong on all cylinders, and the timing belt looks to have another 10k to 15k left in it. I'll probably change it in 7k when I do the 150k service to be on the safe side, but at least it buys me a little time. I'm going to hold off on doing anything about the rims until the tires need to be replaced.

Which means that suspension is probably going to be the next thing addressed. It seems a lot of people in the Honda community are big fans of coilovers, but I'm also considering just replacing the springs, struts, upgrading the anti-sway bars, adding a front strut tower brace and changing out the bushings. I don't want to go to extreme being it is going to be my daily driver, and the streets around here are pretty rough.

your actually on the right track. make the car safe and reliable first. get all of the regular maintenance done asap. after that you can decided what to do while you drive it around. who knows, maybe youll skip power upgrades and do some visual and electronic stuff

just want to say im not saying you are lying i just wanted to see it.

no problem.. if your not on my myspace just go add me.. i never get on there really though.. so you might want to tell me when you add me.. i was on there last night to make sure the vid was on there.. pretty funny

did remind me of ANOTHER hatch.. boosted out the ass something or another.. ran a 12.0 in the quarter.. which is respect to my friends stock ls2 in a camaro running a 12.1 its sad.. but alone its fast

i want a rb26dett 240sx

26 is over rated and doesnt fit in anything.. 25 is better IMO

:)

i wasnt bashing.. i just think they sound funny lol

brakes/suspensin are the first things i like to take care of.. brakes are normally first because i had a truck that they locked up on me so ever since then its new brake everything 1st thing

just want to say im not saying you are lying i just wanted to see it.

no problem.. if your not on my myspace just go add me.. i never get on there really though.. so you might want to tell me when you add me.. i was on there last night to make sure the vid was on there.. pretty funny

did remind me of ANOTHER hatch.. boosted out the ass something or another.. ran a 12.0 in the quarter.. which is respect to my friends stock ls2 in a camaro running a 12.1 its sad.. but alone its fast

i want a rb26dett 240sx

26 is over rated and doesnt fit in anything.. 25 is better IMO

:)

i wasnt bashing.. i just think they sound funny lol

brakes/suspensin are the first things i like to take care of.. brakes are normally first because i had a truck that they locked up on me so ever since then its new brake everything 1st thing

I'm the same way about brakes on any car I own. I had a 280 ZX in highschool that the front brake pads came off while I was trying to stop at a stop sign. Nothing like here the clinking sounds of the brake pade hitting asphalt wile blowing through a stop sign. Luckily no one was coming, and I was able to use the emergency brake to stop. It was interesting ride home between downshifting to slow down, combined with using the emergency brake. Needless to say, the entire brake system on that car was redone after that.

And, love the way rotary engines sound! :)

I'm the same way about brakes on any car I own. I had a 280 ZX in highschool that the front brake pads came off while I was trying to stop at a stop sign. Nothing like here the clinking sounds of the brake pade hitting asphalt wile blowing through a stop sign. Luckily no one was coming, and I was able to use the emergency brake to stop. It was interesting ride home between downshifting to slow down, combined with using the emergency brake. Needless to say, the entire brake system on that car was redone after that.

And, love the way rotary engines sound! :)

I could see you putting your feet down so hard and going through floor, and then Flintstoning your asss home!:laugh:

my truck had drum brakes on the rear and the pad slid off the shoe and went into the middle somehow and locked them up on the highway approaching a redlight

Drum breaks (spelled the way I intended) are the DEVIL!:crazy:

rotary engines sound amazing. especially the rx7. and i wont buy a car if it has drum brakes. must be all wheel disc

I had a '94 RX-7 with the touring package, and I still regret selling that one....

Archived