automatic tops

del sol 422

i was wondering do all del sols have the automatic targa top that go down by a button or not if not whats the models that do and dont and how do you put the top down im buying a 93 sol si monday it might be a dumb question but would like some answers thaks :)

Your talking about Transtop. It's a feature that was only available in other markets besides the US market. So you will not find that stock on any us spec del sol, unless the owner did a conversion.

ok thank u man for repling so how would i take it off

Inside the car there are two handles, swing the handle on each side to release the latch and it comes right off. It is light, but due to being so large will be a bit tough to handle until you get the swing of it. I wouldn't do it solo the first time or two.

were can i get the trans top and does anyone know how hard it is to hook up

They're really hard to find in the US... And doing the conversion you sacrifice some of the structural integrity of the frame. If you want a transtop Sol, you're only good option is to import one or find an import.

It will be more expensive to add a transtop than you payed for the car, and more.

I prefer just the regular targa, sure its cool but it takes a while and you are left with no trunk space.

not to mention the sh!tty plastic gears that honda used stock that you have to buy aftermarkey brass ones just to fix the drive problem on the motor

There are a few good write ups on transtop conversions people have done via google search. Basically, you have to buy the entire rear end from an imported civic and then cut and weld the various parts onto your frame.

They're really hard to find in the US... And doing the conversion you sacrifice some of the structural integrity of the frame. If you want a transtop Sol, you're only good option is to import one or find an import.

*sigh* It's sad to see people post about stuff they know nothing about.

Adding Transtop does not affect the integrity of the frame. Nor by adding transtop will you cut into the frame at all. Trust me I know.

Basically, you have to buy the entire rear end from an imported civic and then cut and weld the various parts onto your frame.

Hey there! I quoted myself.

I have read some excellent articles on people who have done their conversions without doing anything to compromise the original car. They just sourced a half cut from an importer and went to town.

*sigh* It's sad to see people post about stuff they know nothing about.

Adding Transtop does not affect the integrity of the frame. Nor by adding transtop will you cut into the frame at all. Trust me I know.

Guess there are other ways of doing it then. What I've found on the conversion shows a lot of possible problems with it. Largely because most write-ups involve cutting into the frame, if not cutting the entire back end off of the car and then welding it back together. Not to mention an alternate ECU to run the thing.

Guess there are other ways of doing it then. What I've found on the conversion shows a lot of possible problems with it. Largely because most write-ups involve cutting into the frame, if not cutting the entire back end off of the car and then welding it back together. Not to mention an alternate ECU to run the thing.

There's only one way to do it, and nothing involves cutting into the frame or cutting off the rear end or so forth. Anyone that does that is fracking dumb.

Yes you'll need a rear clip, which includes the transtop ecu. However, most people don't realize you also need the front clip as well to get all the wiring from the car. Easiest thing to do is to find not a rhd clip but an edm lhd clip instead, that way moving over the wiring assembly isn't a bitch. lol.

There are two brackets that are on the back wall of the trunk that the transtop bolts on too. Removing them is as easy as using a spot weld cutter, and moving them over is as simple as rewelding.

Then you just need to cut two holes in the floor of the trunk, not cutting into the frame or anything. And bam your done as far as that goes.

l_8d3d77426feb43078a4afa94d6f46585.jpg

^ Well, there are a lot of dumb people in the world then. I guess that means the only question is which is easier and/or cheaper; finding the trans-top assembly, or finding either an import or one that's already been converted.

You will not find a legally imported transtop car. They are not eligible for import. There are a few whole cars here and there that people found loop holes or had friends in customs, but to the best of my knowledge they are just driving them unregistered.

HIGHLY unlikely you would find a bare transtop assembly floating around. Just buy the rear half cut and go from there.

title wash and vin transfer is the best way I know how.

Aka go on craigslist, find the same trim and year sol, buy it then strip the vin tags from it, and replace the ones on the JDM sol. Seen it done all of the time around here. Personaly I see nothing wrong with importing a japanese car, they are more anal about things then we are here in the US, but such is the nature of the beast.

I think it had something to do with the vehicle frame reinforcement making a transtop car 'different' from a regular civic. Which is utterly ridiculous since all it is is the support beams attached to the frame rail, not a modification of the frame itself. Nothing else changed. Apparently, Honda didn't see the need to sell the transtop cars in the US so they never sent any to the NTSB for inspections and crash tests.

Archived