Got my first del sol yesterday!

badbash27

So I thought I would introduce myself to the forum. My name is Nic, and I just got my first del sol ( also happens to be my first honda ) and couldn't be happier.

The car needs some work, but even with 135K, she runs great.

I was just really wanting some feedback on what people do to their del sol's when they first get them.

I am not looking to spend thousands of dollars as I do already have another project car, but I don't think its possible to buy a car and not want to play with it...

Right now all she has from the previous owner is an AEM sri, otherwise the engine bay has been left untouched.

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I am sure I will find things out by myself.

Thanks to everyone, and hello once again.

If you cannot verify when the previous owner replaced the timing belt and water pump that needs to be your first thing you do. Duty cycle on the belt is 100k, but a common recommendation is to do it every 80k to be safe.

And post pictures.

I was planning on changing the oil this weekend, and possibly the valve cover gasket. After the drive home I noticed that the side of the block was wet ( oil ) starting at the valve cover, and dripping its way down the side. Seafoam is always a good idea. Probably a really good one in this case. The car is 16 years old, has 135K and the guy said it hadn't been driven in close to two years. He did say that the timing belt was replaced at 100K. not sure about the water pump though. Probably not a bad idea to get that fixed right away. I will post pics soon, just gotta brush the snow off her so I can actually take some.

Also, just a quick question, because its been bugging me. The engine that is in it right now is a D16Z6, but is it possible to convert to B16A2? Would need to do a harness swap and ecu change and all that fun stuff. but more or less, has it been done? and is it all that hard? Im just a sucker for a dohc vtec, and the extra 35hp is always nice.

Thanks again guys.

If the timing belt was replaced then the water pump was replaced at the same time. The pump is under the belt and is generally considered an accessory to a timing belt replacement.

Keep in mind that to install that b16a2 and gain 35hp you will probably run you well over $1000.

If the timing belt was replaced then the water pump was replaced at the same time. The pump is under the belt and is generally considered an accessory to a timing belt replacement.

Keep in mind that to install that b16a2 and gain 35hp you will probably run you well over $1000.

yea, knew an engine swap wouldn't be cheap. Its not for the HP increase, because I could get over a hundred HP outa of it for a grand if I wanted. Its more about having a more reliable engine, as well as a more common honda block to play with. Makes parts easier to find etc. ntm, the engine I have now has 135K on it. granted, i could easily get another 135 out of it, but when the time comes to rebuild, its gonna cost me close to a grand just to put the same engine back into it, so why not upgrade. :-)

idk why your thinking replacing a dseries is 1k but your crazy or talking to someone stupid

d series are extremely reliable and great blocks and are not 1k to replace.. i replaced mine with a a D16ZC for $700 and i overpaid but its what i could find at the given time.. after i paid it i saw a lot of ZC's and Z6's for about 500 or less

messing with wires and swaps could possibly make your car less reliable.. many people run into problems after doing a swap because you honestly dont know what your getting when you buy another motor

i would check the brakes on the car btw

yea, the guy said that the brakes had been done a few years before, but they are warped to all holly hell. When I get around to it I plan on doing lines rotors pads, and getting the callipers rebuilt all the way round. prolly over kill, but from my past experiences, being able to stop is a nice feature for a car to possess.

yea, knew an engine swap wouldn't be cheap. Its not for the HP increase, because I could get over a hundred HP outa of it for a grand if I wanted. Its more about having a more reliable engine, as well as a more common honda block to play with. Makes parts easier to find etc. ntm, the engine I have now has 135K on it. granted, i could easily get another 135 out of it, but when the time comes to rebuild, its gonna cost me close to a grand just to put the same engine back into it, so why not upgrade.:- )

my Z6 just rolled over 166 grand and doesnt burn one bit of oil. but needs a valve adjustment

idk why your thinking replacing a dseries is 1k but your crazy or talking to someone stupid

d series are extremely reliable and great blocks and are not 1k to replace.. i replaced mine with a a D16ZC for $700 and i overpaid but its what i could find at the given time.. after i paid it i saw a lot of ZC's and Z6's for about 500 or less

messing with wires and swaps could possibly make your car less reliable.. many people run into problems after doing a swap because you honestly dont know what your getting when you buy another motor

i would check the brakes on the car btw

i think they are referring to replacing the d series with a B.

If you cannot verify when the previous owner replaced the timing belt and water pump that needs to be your first thing you do. Duty cycle on the belt is 100k, but a common recommendation is to do it every 80k to be safe.

And post pictures.

a friend of mine bought a 01 accord brand new. at 53k his timing belt broke. So change it.

yea, the guy said that the brakes had been done a few years before, but they are warped to all holly hell. When I get around to it I plan on doing lines rotors pads, and getting the callipers rebuilt all the way round. prolly over kill, but from my past experiences, being able to stop is a nice feature for a car to possess.

brembo blanks are not the expensive for the del sol.. and hawk pads are great (IMO.. they've worked great for me).. SS lines are like $70-80 for the set which also is cheap IMO.. idk about calipers cause i used my old ones

first thing i do with a new car is put all new brakes on it lol

i think they are referring to replacing the d series with a B.

he said it would cost him 1k to replace/rebuild the motor he has

yea, knew an engine swap wouldn't be cheap. Its not for the HP increase, because I could get over a hundred HP outa of it for a grand if I wanted. Its more about having a more reliable engine, as well as a more common honda block to play with. Makes parts easier to find etc. ntm, the engine I have now has 135K on it. granted, i could easily get another 135 out of it, but when the time comes to rebuild, its gonna cost me close to a grand just to put the same engine back into it, so why not upgrade.:- )

Umm... a B-series might be a tiny bit longer lasting due to the DOHC... And the internals are probably a bit stronger to handle the extra power, but it's not going to be any more reliable than your current engine unless the PO was a royal idiot... although thinking that since the brakes were redone several years ago makes them good does point that direction... Anyway, parts are so easy to find for D engines that I'm not sure there's such a thing as even easier... And rebuild kits for the Z6 seem to run around $300-$450 online. If you plan on paying someone to do it, yeah, it's going to get pricey. If you still want to swap, more power to you, but reliability and ease of parts hunting really aren't going to change much between a Z6 and a B16A2. Personally, I'd rebuild any engine I bought to swap in just to be on the safe side... But if I do a swap I want the experience as much as the engine upgrade. I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment, haha.

Umm... a B-series might be a tiny bit longer lasting due to the DOHC... And the internals are probably a bit stronger to handle the extra power, but it's not going to be any more reliable than your current engine unless the PO was a royal idiot... although thinking that since the brakes were redone several years ago makes them good does point that direction... Anyway, parts are so easy to find for D engines that I'm not sure there's such a thing as even easier... And rebuild kits for the Z6 seem to run around $300-$450 online. If you plan on paying someone to do it, yeah, it's going to get pricey. If you still want to swap, more power to you, but reliability and ease of parts hunting really aren't going to change much between a Z6 and a B16A2. Personally, I'd rebuild any engine I bought to swap in just to be on the safe side... But if I do a swap I want the experience as much as the engine upgrade. I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment, haha.

I spose I should have explained myself. I know that a rebuild wont cost me a grand if thats all I did. And yes, I would of course rebuild it myself... But when I get under the hood, I tend to replace / upgrade everything. So in the end, it would be an expence. Parts are easy to come across with the D series, its just that because they dont use them anymore, ( and the B series are newer ) finding parts in the long run will be easier. I guess its a catch 22 though, because even if I got a b16, I would end up rebuilding that before I swapped it in anyways.

Thanks on the advice for brakes btw. Anyone know how hawk and ebc compare? I had a set of hawk pads on my eclipse and they were nice.. stopped the car and all. But when I went to EBC red stuff pads, I got a noticeable difference in stopping power. Just food for thought. Thanks again guys

Alright, this is the only one I have so far. The car is at a friends house until I can get my eclipse back home. Damn these college parking lots. Only letting me have one car at a time...

7019_282012225458_731895458_9250773_5041767_n.jpg

I will for sure post more once I get the car this weekend!

AAAAAHHHH! BODY KIT AND RICER TAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT LET BRIAN SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!

I spose I should have explained myself. I know that a rebuild wont cost me a grand if thats all I did. And yes, I would of course rebuild it myself... But when I get under the hood, I tend to replace / upgrade everything. So in the end, it would be an expence. Parts are easy to come across with the D series, its just that because they dont use them anymore, ( and the B series are newer ) finding parts in the long run will be easier. I guess its a catch 22 though, because even if I got a b16, I would end up rebuilding that before I swapped it in anyways.

Thanks on the advice for brakes btw. Anyone know how hawk and ebc compare? I had a set of hawk pads on my eclipse and they were nice.. stopped the car and all. But when I went to EBC red stuff pads, I got a noticeable difference in stopping power. Just food for thought. Thanks again guys

have you looked online for d-series parts? they are everywhere, i doubt there will be a shortage any time soon. find a motor from a wrecker and build that up while you've got a daily driver. 5th gen and earlier model civics are pretty common in pick n pull type places

Trust me guys. I know she got riced. But it was only a body kit and tails. Both of which I plan on getting rid of as soon as my wallet allows me to do so. New rims are also going to be on the way come spring. The ones on there suck like none other.

Trust me guys. I know she got riced. But it was only a body kit and tails. Both of which I plan on getting rid of as soon as my wallet allows me to do so. New rims are also going to be on the way come spring. The ones on there suck like none other.

Ditch the side skirts as well! :thumbsup:

Alright, this is the only one I have so far. The car is at a friends house until I can get my eclipse back home. Damn these college parking lots. Only letting me have one car at a time...

7019_282012225458_731895458_9250773_5041767_n.jpg

I will for sure post more once I get the car this weekend!

HOLY COCK BALLS BATMAN!!! :o

it needs WOOOORK!!!!!! ditch front bumper, side skirts, back bumper, spoiler, tail lights, and wheels.. and start building from there... damn this thing needs jesus :sleep:

whomever owned this car before you should be shot in the face point blank with a 12 gauge mossberg pump :rant:

HOLY COCK BALLS BATMAN!!! :o

it needs WOOOORK!!!!!! ditch front bumper, side skirts, back bumper, spoiler, tail lights, and wheels.. and start building from there... damn this thing needs jesus :sleep:

whomever owned this car before you should be shot in the face point blank with a 12 gauge mossberg pump :rant:

He's already planning on fixing it, and at least the previous owner didn't go over the top and make it something that couldn't be easily fixed.

Archived