Orca89's Build Thread

Orca89

Well, I've had my Sol for a year now, figured I might as well put one of these together.

Before I bought it

When I got her home:

P1000219.jpgP1000220.jpg

She wasn't in the greatest shape, I had to put $1500 into her just to pass inspection. :rant: Here's the major fixes:

paid (Dealership price)

Left Front Motor Mount: $40 ($155)

Both rear trailing arm bushings: $130 ($610)

Exhaust: $361 ($335)

Rear brakes and rotors: $115 ($386)

Front rotors and pads: $200 ($273)

Left Front Caliper: $30 ($450)

P1000330.jpg

After the repairs, she's basically stock. Energy suspension bushings for the rear trailing arm and suspension, a $15 Autozone gear-shift, POS headunit, and amber corner lights, and the 17" Bronze Kazera KZ-B's she came with. (I'll be getting Si's on at some point in the not too distant future) I still need a new bumper since the PO scraped a guard rail a few years ago.

Halloween 2008 my sister backed into the passenger side with our Honda Pilot. Pilot lost some paint, I needed a new door. After picking up a door frame from Mafdark fro $40 (Thank you!), and getting it painted for another $300(out of my sister's pocket, of course), I spent a weekend getting it installed. Had to get the fender off so I could align it properly a bit later on, but now I have a door that isn't dented and is fairly close to the right shade. It's getting closer as the paint gets drier, so I'm hoping it'll match almost perfectly in a few months.

P1000363-1.jpgP1000402.jpg

April 2009 I had a minor fender-bender, locked up and rear-ended a mini-van. Van came through with some barely visible scrapes on the bumper, I need a new bumper beam. Ah well, I was planning on replacing it anyway. Now I need new fog-lights as well. And that pretty much brings us to how she stands now.

One piece black housing headlights, courtesy of mpearce that I'd had since christmas 08, and finally installed shortly before my little fenderbender. They came through unscathed, and look amazing.

DSC_8092.jpgDSC_8085A.jpg

Anyway, now for the really fun part. Plans for the future.

Install the rear mudguards

Factory Alloys (bought and paid for, just need to get the broken one fixed and get tires on them)

new clutch/master cylinder/lines

Fix the multitude of dents all over the body and the rust over the rear wheel wells

new Stereo, speakers, and tweeters. (either an Alpine headunit or this)

Black housing fog lights to match the new headlights

New OEM front bumper, as well as bumper beam, support, etc.

re-upholstered seats

new carpeting and floor mats

New suspension(probably a 1" drop)

New windows all around

R18 engine swap

Extra circuits for inverter and possibly a small computer in the trunk with screen in passenger side of dash

FULL tear down and re-build of everything not welded together.

Possibilites:

CF hood

Solar panel trunk lid

Front lip

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i like the green and bronze combo, but damn that thing is lifted

It'll look better when I get the smaller rims on it. Road trip to VA, again. :thumbsup:

And I know, I'm bizarre, I don't like the dropped look.

It'll look better when I get the smaller rims on it. Road trip to VA, again.:thumbsup:

And I know, I'm bizarre, I don't like the dropped look.

Tein S.techs just make the Sol look like it should have from the factory. Really does not look lowered at all! :thumbsup:

I've got a small problem... My transmission whines a bit every now and then. (Sounds like when you get going in reverse). It's only when I start the car, it goes away once I get moving... but I have trouble getting it into 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears occasionally, and I'm worried. I plan on asking my friend at the Dealership today when I go to get the oil changed, and I'll talk to my professor tonight before/during/after class... but any help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking maybe flush and refill the transmission fluid?

*edit*

just checked my Haynes manual, checking tranny fluid now.

Your car is amazing. I love the color. But i would change one thing. I wouldd make it look mean instead of a wimp.

And how would you suggest I do that?

Maybe a nice subtle lip kit or a mean big mouth front bumper

Lip kit is a possibility, and when I go to get the car repainted I'll probably grab a street fighter bodykit to get painted at the same time. It'll sit in storage most of the time, but I'd swap it out when I felt like looking a bit flashy. I'll probably be getting a CF hood as soon as I can afford one...

I've got a small problem... My transmission whines a bit every now and then. (Sounds like when you get going in reverse). It's only when I start the car, it goes away once I get moving... but I have trouble getting it into 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears occasionally, and I'm worried. I plan on asking my friend at the Dealership today when I go to get the oil changed, and I'll talk to my professor tonight before/during/after class... but any help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking maybe flush and refill the transmission fluid?

*edit*

just checked my Haynes manual, checking tranny fluid now.

Ok, checked fluid, seems fine. Dealership agrees. And when I headed home from class, I started the car, drove 50 feet and noticed a storm coming in so I put it in neutral, hopped out and put the top on. When I got back in, it wouldn't go into any gear. After letting it roll a few feet I managed to get it into gear, and didn't have any more trouble on the way home. I'm thinking maybe the short-shifter wasn't installed properly and it's messing up the shift forks?

Ok, checked fluid, seems fine. Dealership agrees. And when I headed home from class, I started the car, drove 50 feet and noticed a storm coming in so I put it in neutral, hopped out and put the top on. When I got back in, it wouldn't go into any gear. After letting it roll a few feet I managed to get it into gear, and didn't have any more trouble on the way home. I'm thinking maybe the short-shifter wasn't installed properly and it's messing up the shift forks?

Throw out bearing YO! :thumbsup:

Rear brakes and rotors: $115 ($386)

Front rotors and pads: $200 ($273)

i paid like 300 for brembo blanks and hawk pads all the way around... hopefully you didnt get stock otherwise idk where the hell your getting stuff

actually it was like 250ish.. 200 for rotors and got the pads for like 55 i think

Maybe a nice subtle lip kit or a mean big mouth front bumper

is this kid a troll or does he really like kits?

Oh and shiit can the short throw shifter! They is junk, and can cause problems as well! :thumbsup:

i paid like 300 for brembo blanks and hawk pads all the way around... hopefully you didnt get stock otherwise idk where the hell your getting stuff

actually it was like 250ish.. 200 for rotors and got the pads for like 55 i think

Rotors and rear pads were about $175. It was the front pads that killed me, could only find them at AndysAutoSport. Go figure, they're still in their box since they didn't show up until 2 weeks after I did all the work.

Oh and shiit can the short throw shifter! They is junk, and can cause problems as well! :thumbsup:

I'm considering it... Problem is I've grown used to it.

Well, opened up both of my doors today, turns out the rear limiter for my window is broken. So I'm stuck with that until I either order one, or get a parts sol.. which I desperately need anyway. I also tightened the door handle on my passenger side so it doesn't wiggle.

Turns out neither of my doors are the original anymore... Passenger is from Mafdark's black parts sol, driver's is from a blue Sol... Joy.

my second favorite color on a sol, i like it

just needs a drop and some smaller wheels.. like some 15 inch bronze FN01RC's= SEX!

FN01RF's = SEX! :wink:

Throw out bearing YO! :thumbsup:

Both of these could be possibilities, but I would suspect the shifter first. The del Sol shifter is short enough already and shorter versions put unnecessary stress on the tranny and linkage.

The TO bearing, I don't know. I would think he'd have trouble getting it out of gear as well if that were the problem.

If it only has trouble going into gear my suspicions lie with the synchros. Before shifting was impossible would it go in very stiffly or after a couple seconds of pushing at the gear?

FN01RF's = SEX! :wink:

Both of these could be possibilities, but I would suspect the shifter first. The del Sol shifter is short enough already and shorter versions put unnecessary stress on the tranny and linkage.

The TO bearing, I don't know. I would think he'd have trouble getting it out of gear as well if that were the problem.

If it only has trouble going into gear my suspicions lie with the synchros. Before shifting was impossible would it go in very stiffly or after a couple seconds of pushing at the gear?

Honestly, I'm not sure if I have an aftermarket short shifter, or the PO just considered it a short shifter... I'll have to come to a meet at some point so somebody who knows what the Sol is supposed to have can figure it out. And getting out of gear isn't a problem... although I've been slam-shifting to try and keep it functional a bit longer, as it's deteriorating fast. Getting out of gear has never been a problem. And I can tell you right now it's the TO, the clutch isn't fully disengaging all the time. I really have to stomp on it to keep the engine from dying at times. And I didn't have any trouble before the first time it wouldn't go in... I have been missing gears because of how much harder it is to get it in/how much sooner the clutch engages.

Please, whatever you do do not take your car to the dealer to have the transmission repaired. Nothing like spending $2000 for an oem rebuild when you can find working si transmissions on craigslist for $200 every week.

Nice work! I like this Sol :D

How does the clutch pedal feel? Any troubles there?

Thanks! :happy:

The clutch pedal is same as it's always been... except for the vibration from the TO not fully disengaging the clutch anymore... I am hoping that a clutch kit will help firm it up a bit though, it's really soft. Both it and the throttle need to be stiffened a bit. I get in my Dad's Accord and nearly stall it until I get used to pedals that you actually have to push.

Unfortunately, at this point I'm basically immobilized... It's nigh impossible to get it into 1st if it isn't already there when you're at a stop. Fortunately I don't have anywhere to go until the 24th, unless I get the job down at the Lube Center... Fortunately that's close enough that I could ride my bike to it, but I'm hoping my Stafford Loan comes in soon... I get $6500 this year :happy: . I'll probably only get half of it this semester, but that should pay for my two classes, my books, pay my dad back for insurance and my summer course, and my clutch kit... I hope. Oh wait, I just finished a class, time to sell the textbook on Amazon. That should get me enough for the clutch kit... I just hope it sells fast.

Please, whatever you do do not take your car to the dealer to have the transmission repaired. Nothing like spending $2000 for an oem rebuild when you can find working si transmissions on craigslist for $200 every week.

Don't worry, I take it to the dealership for oil changes and to get diagnosed, I do the work myself. :thumbsup:

And I just need a clutch kit, tranny's fine... for the moment anyway.

I'm thinking I'll go with this. Thoughts?

ebay the way to go! lol as for the clutch i duno, i still havent switched ma tranny!:l

Yeah. *shrugs* if it can last 50k miles that would probably be enough to last until I get the engine swap I want. Odds are it'd last far more than that, so no worries.

*edit*

Dang... wish I was gonna have $140 lying around... http://www.modernhonda.com/product.php?productid=16850

Yeah. *shrugs* if it can last 50k miles that would probably be enough to last until I get the engine swap I want. Odds are it'd last far more than that, so no worries.

*edit*

Dang... wish I was gonna have $140 lying around... http://www.modernhonda.com/product.php?productid=16850

That looks to be for clutch disc only? >_< If you bought that, I would have to open up a can of Slap-A-bitch! :thumbsup:

Archived