Anybody here hug trees?

TLontheDL

americans are lazy.. you dont realize how much energy can be saved in one hour if everyone turned their lights off

like everyother country does this.. last time they had a day like that i saw of a picture of syndy, australlia and it was almost completly dark and americans cant live without everylight on in the house

sorry ive had to do a lot of looking at global warming and energy consumption with the whole engineering thing and i think something needs done about it

Yeah I'm turning every light on too because this is America dammit, ain't nobody telling me what to do!!

jk, I'll turn some crap off

I'll be participating as well.

TL, I wouldn't call it tree hugging. Whether you are an environmental nut or not you should participate for two reasons:

#1 People are multiplying faster than new power plants are being produced. If something isn't done there will be a mess in the near future. Everyone remember the east coast blackout a few years ago? Or what about the rolling brownouts in CA that happen every year? Do a google search for this: In some areas power lines are becoming so hot from excessive power transmission that they are catching on fire spontaneously. These things are only becoming more frequent.

#2 Electricity is expensive. One of the quickest and simplest ways to save some money every month is to change your electricity usage. Because my house is full electric; furnace, water heater, stove, dryer and all, my electric bill used to run as high as $400 a month. By changing my bulbs, turning off my computers and extra lights and little things my average bill is down to around $250 now. I'll take that $150 in my pocket, thank you.

I'll be participating as well.

TL, I wouldn't call it tree hugging. Whether you are an environmental nut or not you should participate for two reasons:

#1 People are multiplying faster than new power plants are being produced. If something isn't done there will be a mess in the near future. Everyone remember the east coast blackout a few years ago? Or what about the rolling brownouts in CA that happen every year? Do a google search for this: In some areas power lines are becoming so hot from excessive power transmission that they are catching on fire spontaneously. These things are only becoming more frequent.

#2 Electricity is expensive. One of the quickest and simplest ways to save some money every month is to change your electricity usage. Because my house is full electric; furnace, water heater, stove, dryer and all, my electric bill used to run as high as $400 a month. By changing my bulbs, turning off my computers and extra lights and little things my average bill is down to around $250 now. I'll take that $150 in my pocket, thank you.

Nuclear energy would solve many of these problems. I have a gas furnace and water heater, everything else is electric. I leave my PCs on, and have my thermostat set at 72 in the winter. My electric bill is $220/month.

With the geothermal furnace I went from $500+ a month for fuel oil and kept the house at 65 to around $200 a month (for the furnace part) and the house is at 72.

:D

AC in the summer runs me about $30 a month to keep the house at 68/70

We have a variety of options that would solve the energy problems. People just don't want to make the sacrifices to build anything unless it benefits them immediately. Power plants are a multi-year commitment before you see a return on any front.

With the geothermal furnace I went from $500+ a month for fuel oil and kept the house at 65 to around $200 a month (for the furnace part) and the house is at 72.

:D

AC in the summer runs me about $30 a month to keep the house at 68/70

We have a variety of options that would solve the energy problems. People just don't want to make the sacrifices to build anything unless it benefits them immediately. Power plants are a multi-year commitment before you see a return on any front.

Agreed, and there is still a stigma about nuclear energy.

Archived