in need of some advice

JDMEkHatchy

so yesterday i was at this get together with a bunch of family and friends...everything was all cool until the guy with the STI showed up...he started talking bad about my car how its all stock and ugly and blah blah blah... whatever im not mad at that its his personal opinion...but then he started telling me about honda engines trying to sound smart and that kinda threw me off a bit...either way he started talking crap and said that MY car would never beat his car....so now im pissed and i want to build my engine so that it will beat a stock STI...so anyone have any idea on a good build??...i know i've asked this in the past but i just want to be 100% sure of what i want to swap... and theres a lot of options to chose from so i'm trying to figure out which is the one i like best. so any advice would be helpful :laugh: .... thank you

Anyone who talks down on someone else who is passionate about working with cars isn't a true enthusiast......they're a grade A DOUCHE.....but yeah....rick has the right advice here.......I just wanted to put in my opinion.....

THANK YOU!! :D... i mean i like cars i didn't talk down on his car because lets face it an STI is a pretty dam nice car so why talk bad about it?? either way i'm thinking of maybe doing a b20vtec turbo or an lsvtec turbo.. i think its a pretty decent build in my opinion

That does indeed sound nice.....I would personally choose the b20 in this situation.....make sure to replace internals! You don't want anything blowing up......

oh yeah.. im not doing it myself.. i dont think i have the knowledge to do so.... i'm either taking it to a friend to do it or to my buddies shop.. depends on my financial situation.. and its not going to happen anytime soon.. maybe in a couple of months

here is your ideal build that will eat sti's alive, among many other things

b18c motor

lsd tranny

hasport mount kit

skunk2 stage 1 cams: 730

skunk2 intake manifold: 303

skunk2 throttle body: 332

skunk2 retainers: 226

skunk2 valves: 345

skunk2 valve springs: 379

skunk2 fuel rail: 224

electronic boost control

fuel pump

engine management

for turbo:

golden eagle bearings: 115

crower rods: 690

mid comp pistons: 499

greddy turbo: 3,350

greddy intercooler kit: 1,121

wastegate

its roughly around 13k in parts. not including labor

wow!! thanks a lot rick.. highly appreciate it :D... i think ill go for it actually i mean thats a lot of money but its not like im gonna do everything all at once.. ill build it little by little and someday it would be a BEAST!! haha

here is your ideal build that will eat sti's alive, among many other things

b18c motor

lsd tranny

cable to hydro conversion

hasport mount kit

skunk2 stage 1 cams: 730

skunk2 intake manifold: 303

skunk2 throttle body: 332

skunk2 retainers: 226

skunk2 valves: 345

skunk2 valve springs: 379

skunk2 fuel rail: 224

electronic boost control

fuel pump

engine management

for turbo:

golden eagle bearings: 115

crower rods: 690

mid comp pistons: 499

greddy turbo: 3,350

greddy intercooler kit: 1,121

wastegate: 1,080

its roughly around 13k in parts. not including labor

Sorry to disagree rick, but all that is not needed to even come close to beating an STI.

Stock GSR motor, T3/To4E .57 trim on about 10-12psi for a 280-300whp setup with sticky tires and decent suspension would have no trouble taking a stock STI. Throw nothing more than pistons and rods into the motor and tune it at 20-22 psi for somehwhere around 400whp or better and it would take modded STI's....still way under your projected budget.

Not to mention he could build a much better turbo setup w/ intercooler for closer to 2000-2500. A lot of your numbers seem off to me. Where on god's green earth are spending 1080 for a wastegate and Why?

well thanks for the replies guys.. but since im building a boosted b20-vtec (well thats what im going to aim for) umm will it be a reliable Daily Driver?? it will right?

With proper tuning...absolutely.

well thanks for the replies guys.. but since im building a boosted b20-vtec (well thats what im going to aim for) umm will it be a reliable Daily Driver?? it will right?

boosted b20vtec, reliable daily driver....... huh

That's almost like an oxymoron.

If you wanna use that setup and have it be reliable, you need to also install like 4 bottles of nos. :p

boosted b20vtec, reliable daily driver....... huh

That's almost like an oxymoron.

If you wanna use that setup and have it be reliable, you need to also install like 4 bottles of nos. :p

why the need of nos? are you being serious or sarcastic?

With proper tuning...absolutely.

well seems like you were the only one that properly answered my question so im going to go ahead and assume that it would be a great DD if it is properly tuned.. thanks for the reply

Sorry to disagree rick, but all that is not needed to even come close to beating an STI.

Stock GSR motor, T3/To4E .57 trim on about 10-12psi for a 280-300whp setup with sticky tires and decent suspension would have no trouble taking a stock STI. Throw nothing more than pistons and rods into the motor and tune it at 20-22 psi for somehwhere around 400whp or better and it would take modded STI's....still way under your projected budget.

Not to mention he could build a much better turbo setup w/ intercooler for closer to 2000-2500. A lot of your numbers seem off to me. Where on god's green earth are spending 1080 for a wastegate and Why?

i didnt say all of that was needed to take an sti. my old 97 civic with just bolt ons with my gsr motor wasnt too far behind sti performance.

he said he wanted to show up his friend. i figured a decent build would be nice to blow his buddy away.

wastegate number was a typo, fixed.

alot of what i posted was from an old build of mine i started planning a couple years ago, that may be why some of my numbers are off. i apologize in that regard.

i didnt say all of that was needed to take an sti. my old 97 civic with just bolt ons with my gsr motor wasnt too far behind sti performance.

he said he wanted to show up his friend. i figured a decent build would be nice to blow his buddy away.

wastegate number was a typo, fixed.

alot of what i posted was from an old build of mine i started planning a couple years ago, that may be why some of my numbers are off. i apologize in that regard.

I remember that civic.....I believe I made a sig out of it.....it was beautiful!....even....with the dents....lol

Edelbrock Performer-X IM

RDX injectors

Walbro pump

Full-Race stage 1 GT kit

Hondata S300

Y8 trans

MFactory LSD

MFactory 3.083 1st

MFactory 4.7 FD

Smoke the crap out of it with your stock longblock.

Anyone who talks down on someone else who is passionate about working with cars isn't a true enthusiast......they're a grade A DOUCHE.....but yeah....rick has the right advice here.......I just wanted to put in my opinion.....

this guy knows nothing about cars, he doesnt even know what he can do to make his own car fast.. so the guy with the wrx had reason to make fun of this guy with a 98 civic with a d series without a clue.

Archived