mac vs pc transformers

Rick B.

After seeing the award nominations thread, I felt this pertinent to bump. I'm not saying that PCs are superior to Macs, you guys are saying Macs are superior to PCs. So, it's up to *you* to actually prove that position, not vice versa.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is, if it's the Mac OS moreso than the hardware, then why not buy a cheap PC and install Mac OS on it? It takes a few tricks and apps, but it works, you get most of the advantage of a Mac without the obscene price-tag. $900 for an awesome Asus laptop, grab Mac OS Leopard or whatever big cat they've got now, find the tools you need online, voila. Macintrash with high quality graphics card and such for several hundred dollars less than a base model direct from Apple.

You can draw up cost analysis charts all day long and spout on about what level you're running Crysis on a PC, but I, a long time PC user recently turned Mac, can say that using a Mac and OS X is simply a much better experience, for myself at least. I don't play computer games, I have a 360 for that, so I have no real need to ever update my graphics card. My graphics card will really only come in handy when I upgrade to Photoshop CS4 which utilizes it to run faster and smoother. The portability of my MacBook pro is also a benefit for me. It takes up less space in my backpack than my Vaios did, making it more convenient to carry to class and the library. It's lighter also. I completely prefer OS X's menu system and the dock to the start menu with Windows.

What really sets apart a Mac and a Windows-based machine are all the little details of a Mac. The screen can automatically adjust the backlight according to the ambient lighting, the keyboard keys are contoured in a fashion making them nicer to use instead of completely flat keys (they stopped this on the new MacBook Pros though), the keyboard is backlit, the base doesn't move around my desk when I close the screen, the build quality (yes it matters), the smaller portable power brick, the cable they supply you with that increases the length of the power cable, all the functions you can do with the trackpad (navigate between pages, right click, zoom in on images, rotate images), spaces and expose (nice to get to the desktop fast without having to minimize all open windows), the high resolution for a 15" screen (1440x900), how it operates almost whisper quiet (the fans in my Vaios sounded like a about to take off), spotlight which makes it ridiculously easy to find anything anywhere almost instantly on any drive by just typing it's name ("search" never found sh*t for me with Windows), taking 30 seconds from power off to opening a website, taking 5-10 seconds to shut down, the best customer support in the industry, I can go on...

All this thread has proved, is that Mac OS is better than Windows. I'll say that's for the average home user though. Any PC user worth a damn can have his Windows running as good, if not better than the standard Mac OS user.

Any PC user worth a damn can have his Windows running as good, if not better than the standard Mac OS user.

must be why all of the system administrators i know prefer to use macs for their own use

bottom line is that people are going to complain about how bad macs are, but it's only those who haven't used them (or only tested one) who will do so... or those who are pc gamers. it takes less than a day to get used to the controls on a mac after being a longtime pc user, and at the most about a week before you're used to all of the programs (which includes time to hit up version tracker for comparable programs). after that, there's a good chance your pc will sit collecting dust.

mac vs pc price comp.

if your building a big workstation, mac just cant be beat.

No, that's if your buying a pre-built POS desktop. If you're building one... It'll probably cost you 1/2 of any comparable pre-built machine... if that.

For example, I just put together an entire setup (mouse, keyboard, 19" LCD widescreen, power supply, high-quality cooling fan + arctic silver, nVidia 9800 GT, nice case... Basically, I skimped on nothing, for $1715)

DVD Burner - $30

Thermaltake Armor Case - $104.99 after rebate

10,000 RPM WD Velociraptor 250 GB harddrive - $229.00

Samsung 19" monitor - $149.99 after rebate

XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB - $99.99 after rebate

Corsair 550 Watt power supply - $79.99 after rebate (could easily grab one for $20, but I'm not skimping here)

Creative 70 Watt 5.1 Surround Sound - $149.99

Saitek Keyboard - $74.95

Logitech MX Revolution mouse - $99.99

Arctic Silver - $4.99

2 x 2 GB Corsair DDR2 RAM - $69.00 after rebate

2.4 GHz Intel Quad Core Processor - $189.99

CPU Cooling Fan - $36.99

I could easily trim that down to $1300ish... But I felt like going completely over the top. This setup would run just about anything completely maxed out. Just add the cost of whatever OS you'd prefer to use, and voila. To get something like this from a manufacturer... You're probably looking at $2400+ just for the tower, maybe a keyboard, cheap wired optical mouse, and a set of cheap stereo speakers with the manufacturer's logo on them.

Yes you could build something really powerful, but you know what you're doing I imagine when it comes to computers, to the average user, they wouldn't have the faintest idea on what to do when it comes to building a PC, so thats where buying something out of the box like in that example Ashley put up comes in to play. Also half the stuff you've put up is 'after rebate' so it really doesn't count when it comes to what the average person can put together. I do see your point though dude.

That's why the world has computer geeks, we're generally willing to help those less tech-savvy than us out. And the rebates are just what Newegg has on sale at the moment. The only reason to buy a pre-built is if you're hopelessly lost when it comes to computers and don't have a geek to call on if it decides it doesn't like you.

Granted, building a computer does take some time, and for those who lack patience... Yeah, it's probably worth the extra few hundred dollars to not have to deal with it. If you're hopelessly lost, a $400 pre-built desktop is probably all you need. But that's not really what we're talking about. For low-end stuff, pre-built is probably the way to go. We're talking about powerful computers, which if you want one, you should probably know your way around the guts of a computer.

i dont have the time or the desire to build or learn how to build a computer, i have sh!t to do. and i had a friend that built most of his mac which trimmed off a lot of the cost.. but that wasnt my point.. my point was that out of the box the comparison speaks for itself. /

I built my computer for the first time in about 30 minutes.

It consists of screwing 5 or 6 things into the tower, and then plugging them in.

If you can hook up a dvd player, you can put together a computer.

EDIT: And if you can't, you should be riding the short bus to school.

I built my computer for the first time in about 30 minutes.

It consists of screwing 5 or 6 things into the tower, and then plugging them in.

If you can hook up a dvd player, you can put together a computer.

i opened a box, plugged it in, and was set to go in 10 seconds.

my IQ is irrelevant, (and trust me when i say you don't want to go there) i just dont have the desire to build a machine when i can afford to buy one thats just as good, if not superior out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

most anything, when it comes to technology, is "outdated" once it hits the shelves. of course, they're developing more and will be releasing other models in the near future.

i'll be settling for a 13.3" macbook to replace my iBook within the next few weeks, can't wait to be on a mac again

Now I'm as happy as a hippy on acid.

LOL

I see your point, but to me, it's just that they aren't organized and they don't do good jobs at making things in the first place (I understand some things are just found out later and fixed)...and it's not a good way to treat customers: us having to buy it again every few months...

it's a lot because of competition and timing of other things and customers get the short end...

LOL

I see your point, but to me, it's just that they aren't organized and they don't do good jobs at making things in the first place (I understand some things are just found out later and fixed)...and it's not a good way to treat customers: us having to buy it again every few months...

it's a lot because of competition and timing of other things and customers get the short end...

if something is defective, the warranty will cover it (or in the rare case, a recall). no one has to buy another computer every few months. if someone is that interested in having the latest technology (that's available on the shelf at that time), then they've generally done their research and know when/if another release is on it's way.

I didn't mean if it's defective (therefore warranty and all)...

ya there is a point where you buy and you stick to it for a long while! (I've had my laptop for a bit over 3 years and I'm still happy with it). I'm just saying it's not cool when they sell one with much difference every few months... (/rant about corporations lol)

If you keep holding out and waiting to have the latest and greatest technology, you'll never end up buying anything.

exactly. technology moves too fast for them to not release them as soon as possible, and it's rather fruitless to complain about it because as i said earlier... it's outdated as soon as you buy it anyway.

I've seen things get released and bought by people and the timing was because of marketing/competition/sales numbers for a specific quarter or year, even when the manufacturer is aware of the problems and they can fix them in a month! (I've seen this in 2 different industries)

I'm not just after having the best technology and it being the latest for years...It's a good thing technology moves fast, but in some cases, it's just corruption...

Archived