mac vs pc transformers

Rick B.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Macs win round one, then PC's start to take over, until Vista bogs them down and gives Mac's the edge. So it's all up to Windows 7 to determine who will win.

Oh, BTW, PC FTW!

windows 7? ha. like thats gotta chance.

Mac Snow Leopard is gonna own that piece of crap. Windows operating systems are always one step behind mac. You'll think I'm talking crap cos you probably are a windows user. Get a mac, and within 3 weeks you'll never look back. Any mac user will agree with me...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

lmao. that twat who just wrote that page is just jealous and too poor to buy a mac and realise how much better they are.

"1. If everything on a Mac just works, then why does a website called "Mac fix it" exist, buttheads? Here are a few choice topics on macfixitforums.com:

-Login window stuck!

-lower caSe "S" key not working!!

-Menu bar keeps flashing

-I can't drag and drop!"

-login window never stuck, infact I don't use it anyway

-wtf? never happened

-wtf? menu bar flashing? you've fracked your mac, reinstall and get over it

-you cant drag and drop?wtf are you incapable of using a mouse?

this page is just full of bullcrap.

i just wanna say to the maker of it, Why are you paying good money to use something inferior? Why use something which is more annoying and slower, when there is something out there which works how it should work without any problems?

"I'm not stylish enough to use a mac" f*ck off, f*ck the image inwhich you may think a mac user portrays, get off your crapty windows inwhich the whole world has become accustomed to, and get on mac, an forget about all the problems windows brings.

Rant over. :D

Yea, you're right, Maddox can't afford to buy a Mac. :rolleyes:

I used to be a Windows fanboy and Mac hater until I actually decided to buy a Mac, then I finally found out what all the hoopla was about. When people say "it just works", they mean it. It's nice to wait 30 seconds (I timed it) from power off to opening my web browser instead of having to go downstairs and make a cup of coffee while waiting for Windows to boot up. I also love how simple it is to find anything absolutely anywhere on the computer by using spotlight. Command + Spacebar, type in whatever you need, and it pops right up.

I used to be a Windows fanboy and Mac hater until I actually decided to buy a Mac, then I finally found out what all the hoopla was about. When people say "it just works", they mean it. It's nice to wait 30 seconds (I timed it) from power off to opening my web browser instead of having to go downstairs and make a cup of coffee while waiting for Windows to boot up. I also love how simple it is to find anything absolutely anywhere on the computer by using spotlight. Command + Spacebar, type in whatever you need, and it pops right up.

I don't hate Macs, what I hate are the fanbois that can't shut up about how f*cking great they are. Most Windows problems come from users who are too stupid to use a computer. I run Windows, and outside of 1 reformat, have had zero problems in over 4 years. That 1 format, was a hardware issue that corrupted the OS. PCs have tons of upgradeability that Macs do not have. They have tons more software than Macs have. (Before you start the "You can run Windows on Mac" debate, you guys ignore the fact that once you put Windows on a Mac, you wipe out all that makes Macs better, in your own words of course) I'm not here to say Macs suck, but I am damn tired of hearing their fanbois cry out their laurels at *every* opportunity.

Fanboy? Up until three months ago I was a Windows user since Windows 98. I had two Compaq Presarios and two Sony Vaios. I'm just states some small examples of how I find a Mac nicer to use.

There is one main reason I hate Macs... The OS has gotten better, I will admit that. I'm not a windows fanboy, I actually rather hate Microsoft... but I understand windows, I can make it do what I want it to. Macs force you to do things their way. Anyway, the main reason I hate them, WHERE'S THE BLOODY RIGHT-CLICK!!!!!

And actually, Windows 7 is coming out, and I think they're actually taking the time to make it worthwhile. I've got the Beta, and it isn't too horrible.

And as for Macs being better... no. They're simpler. For a computer geek like me who likes to dig through and adjust everything to my own specifications... Macs are nothing short of a royal pain. So for me, Macs are worse. For some, they're better. I've used macs on a regular basis since kindergarten, I only liked Mac Os when it was basically the same thing as Windows 3.11...

I'm right-clicking my heart out with my Logitech mouse right now. Without a USB mouse, you right click by tapping the trackpad with two fingers, or by holding control while clicking on a keyboard.

Fanboy? Up until three months ago I was a Windows user since Windows 98. I had two Compaq Presarios and two Sony Vaios. I'm just states some small examples of how I find a Mac nicer to use.

Actually, if you read a little more closely I'm not calling you a fanboi. If I were actually calling anybody out it would be Seb. I'm talking about the fanbois in general. Like the ones that Maddox writes about. Macs are not a perfect computer, but most Mac users are blind to this fact.

Ok, I forgot to add "button" after "right-click." so sue me. And yes, I realize that plugging in any non-Apple mouse will give you a right click, but I'm referring to using a Macbook without any extras plugged into it. For the desktops, it's not a huge deal... although why anyone would buy a Mac desktop is beyond me. I helped Brad put together a custom setup for $350ish that will probably be able to run Crysis on high. What can you get from Mac for that money? A 10" monitor?

And, on a side note, Mac vs. PC is pretty pathetic... it should just be Mac vs. Windows. Get a Linux box in on the action, and it'll kick both of them into next year if it's set up right. Yes, some of the Linux varieties are horrible, and most of them don't come with tech support of any kind. You also generally need some knowledge of computer programming. If it weren't for that, we'd all be on Linux machines that were infinitely customizeable and actually efficient. Something neither mainline OS has heard of. But, because you need to actually understand computers to use Linux, it'll never really catch on. Windows is for those with some understanding, and Mac is generally for those who could care less about whats going on behind the scenes. That's how I see it. I like to tweak things, so I'm sticking with Windows until I can find a Linux OS that I like, and can get to install on this mish-mash of horribly combined components Toshiba considers a computer... I wish it was possible to build your own laptop...

Ok, I forgot to add "button" after "right-click." so sue me. And yes, I realize that plugging in any non-Apple mouse will give you a right click, but I'm referring to using a Macbook without any extras plugged into it. For the desktops, it's not a huge deal... although why anyone would buy a Mac desktop is beyond me. I helped Brad put together a custom setup for $350ish that will probably be able to run Crysis on high. What can you get from Mac for that money? A 10" monitor?

And, on a side note, Mac vs. PC is pretty pathetic... it should just be Mac vs. Windows. Get a Linux box in on the action, and it'll kick both of them into next year if it's set up right. Yes, some of the Linux varieties are horrible, and most of them don't come with tech support of any kind. You also generally need some knowledge of computer programming. If it weren't for that, we'd all be on Linux machines that were infinitely customizeable and actually efficient. Something neither mainline OS has heard of. But, because you need to actually understand computers to use Linux, it'll never really catch on. Windows is for those with some understanding, and Mac is generally for those who could care less about whats going on behind the scenes. That's how I see it. I like to tweak things, so I'm sticking with Windows until I can find a Linux OS that I like, and can get to install on this mish-mash of horribly combined components Toshiba considers a computer... I wish it was possible to build your own laptop...

Actually, OSX is built on Linux architecture. I agree that Mac vs. PC is fairly pathetic, as hardware has very little to do with it. Outside of motherboards, they use pretty much the same components.

I actually use Linux, and wish more games would run under it natively. Once I grab myself an nVidia card, I'm hoping that EVE Online will run natively under Linux. Right now it's pretty much the only reason I'm using Windows. Orca, have you tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu? Kubuntu is the only distro of Linux I've found myself liking so far. Ubuntu is alright, but I prefer KDE over GNOME.

Yeah, I forgot that drawback with Linux... I guess that's something it shares with Mac, although not quite to the same extent.

Anyway, I've played around a little bit with Ubuntu on a friends computer, and I like it. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with an 80 gig harddrive at the moment(74 actual gigabytes), so I'm a little cramped on space to go for a dual boot. I've heard good things about Fedora, and I might try Gentoo at some point simply because it's what most people think of when you say Linux.

Yeah, I forgot that drawback with Linux... I guess that's something it shares with Mac, although not quite to the same extent.

Anyway, I've played around a little bit with Ubuntu on a friends computer, and I like it. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with an 80 gig harddrive at the moment(74 actual gigabytes), so I'm a little cramped on space to go for a dual boot. I've heard good things about Fedora, and I might try Gentoo at some point simply because it's what most people think of when you say Linux.

80 gigs is more than enough. Max size of the Ubuntu partition is 30 gigs, and you don't even need that much. Could go with 5 gigs and be fairly happy with how much room Linux has. It actually uses very little space.

Yeah i know it aint the hardware, all computers on the inside are pretty much the same. It's the software/operating system/design of the whole thing that gives it that 'greatness' lol.

apple mice have 2 buttons too now...

n i don't see how people can find it annoying when a macbook doesn't have a right click button, like I found it a lil strange at first, but after a little while you get used to just pressing ctrl-click for right click, it becomes 2nd nature. If anything I like not having the right click button there as I can imagine the countless times I would press it by accident. I mean how much do you actually use that button? not much.

Yeah that's a good way to put it. I've never used Linux, may have to give it a try out at some point. What is Linux used for really? As in, in industry? Or does it just have a small home user fan base...

Linux is all open source, so unlike Microsoft, when a problem crops up with it, you have 1000s of users working to find a fix. Usually happens within 24 hours as well. Linux is based off of UNIX, which is a shell command, server type interface. You have to have a good working knowledge with computers to use it, which is why many people shy away from it. It's basically UNIX with pictures, much like Windows is DOS with pictures. It's an extremely stable OS.

I understand that Windows stole a lot of it's design from Apple OS. Give Bill Gates credit. While he may be many things, he isn't stupid. He saw it's ease of use, and incorporated it into Win95. Macs will never be more than a niche computer.

Linux sounds like a pretty good idea then. Didn't know that before! So I take that it is a pretty dam stable piece of kit then?

Yeah Windows stole a load from Apples OS, i dunno about back in Win95, but certainly with new versions he has done, I mean look at the bits that Vista nicked off OSX, to be honest, I'm surprised Apple didn't sue them to hell. But yeah, why not copy what is good? Imitation is the highest form of flattery after all. It's just that when you imitate something poorly, it doesn't do you any wonders.

Win95 started it. Before that there was no "Start" button in Windows. Same as the Apple icon at the top of the screen. Bill just moved it to the bottom.

apple mice have 2 buttons too now...

n i don't see how people can find it annoying when a macbook doesn't have a right click button, like I found it a lil strange at first, but after a little while you get used to just pressing ctrl-click for right click, it becomes 2nd nature. If anything I like not having the right click button there as I can imagine the countless times I would press it by accident. I mean how much do you actually use that button? not much.

Spoken like a true Mac user. I use right click probably a couple hundred times a day, it's bloody useful just about everywhere. Even on a Mac, it's just Mac users ignore it's potent abilities.

Linux sounds like a pretty good idea then. Didn't know that before! So I take that it is a pretty dam stable piece of kit then?

Yeah Windows stole a load from Apples OS, i dunno about back in Win95, but certainly with new versions he has done, I mean look at the bits that Vista nicked off OSX, to be honest, I'm surprised Apple didn't sue them to hell. But yeah, why not copy what is good? Imitation is the highest form of flattery after all. It's just that when you imitate something poorly, it doesn't do you any wonders.

Actually, they've stolen so much from each other that if one of them took legal action, they'd probably both end up going under. Granted, Gates stole DOS from... I think Kildall, but in the end... they're both pirates. Kinda sad when you think about it. Bill Gates' worst enemy is, his own kind. :crazy:

Not sure about Steve Jobs... *shrugs* I pay less attention to Mac OS history. But both OS's took the cascading menus idea from one of the earlier Linux shells.

And I'm not sure how much Vista actually took from OSX... Yes, there's some, but a lot of it just seems like XP taken up a notch... So they might have stolen it, or it might just look like they stole it. *shrugs* who knows. Have to ask the designers.

I guess what you say about them stealing stuff off each other is true, that is one minefield I doubt either company wants to delve in to. lol.

Pretty much, the mines are nuclear, not just high explosive.

Spoken like a true Mac user. I use right click probably a couple hundred times a day, it's bloody useful just about everywhere. Even on a Mac, it's just Mac users ignore it's potent abilities.

Actually, they've stolen so much from each other that if one of them took legal action, they'd probably both end up going under. Granted, Gates stole DOS from... I think Kildall, but in the end... they're both pirates. Kinda sad when you think about it. Bill Gates' worst enemy is, his own kind. :crazy:

Not sure about Steve Jobs... *shrugs* I pay less attention to Mac OS history. But both OS's took the cascading menus idea from one of the earlier Linux shells.

And I'm not sure how much Vista actually took from OSX... Yes, there's some, but a lot of it just seems like XP taken up a notch... So they might have stolen it, or it might just look like they stole it. *shrugs* who knows. Have to ask the designers.

Actually, unless I'm mistaken, Gates created DOS based off of the old Radio Shack TRS80 OS. The guy who created the OS for the TRS80 was approached by IBM to design the OS for their latest computer...the home PC. He blew the meeting off to play golf, so IBM went to Gates. The rest is history.

windows 7? ha. like thats gotta chance.

Mac Snow Leopard is gonna own that piece of crap. Windows operating systems are always one step behind mac. You'll think I'm talking crap cos you probably are a windows user. Get a mac, and within 3 weeks you'll never look back. Any mac user will agree with me...

first computer in kindergarten was a mac. our school used them, so we got them at home for compatibility. had one all the way up until college, then i finally got my own PC for college and am very happy im out of the days of mac. theres so many little things that they just dont do that would seem obvious, and also they are so overpriced its retarded

"theres so many little things that they just dont do that would seem obvious"

For example? If you say games I'll slap you.

Overpriced, hmm yes they are expensive, but I'd still rather pay for the quality of it all, than to get something much cheaper but looks/works like crap

If you're buying a computer based on looks, you're either female or homosexual. I don't care what my computer looks like, as long as it does the job.

Overpriced, hmm yes they are expensive, but I'd still rather pay for the quality of it all, than to get something much cheaper but looks/works like crap

Thing is, you can get a well put together laptop for 1/2 the cost of a Mac, and then install Mac OS if you really want to. Lenovo, Asus, and even HP are put together pretty well. Steer clear of eMachine, Gateway, and Toshiba and you'll probably be ok.

Archived