HOLY CRAP!!

hiemsnox

ok everybody so i finally felt like i had my car working and running completely fine, and then on my way to work this morning i'm driving down the highway on my 30 miles to work going about 75 mph. and out of no where, i hear no pops or bangs... my RPM's dropped like a rock all the way down to zero... ive had trans problems with other cars in the past so i tried dropping my auto down to 3rd gear and still no RPM's and the engine did engine break though. so i pull off the road (luckly i had a perfect spot in traffic) and looked under the hood. ther was a lot of steam and very clearly smelled antifreeze....i'm not trying again but when i did try to restart the engine u can hear the starter but the engine wasnt turning over and atleast to me it sounded like the engine was trying to do something but it didnt sound right.

so after paying $100 i was able to get my car towed to my friends house and put in his garage... im leaking antifreexe at a preety dencent rate too...

my only geusses right now is timing belt and water pump....?

so please if u can help me out with this one cause im a completely broke college student and thats my only car.

so advice away!!

Water pump goin out, and the car just dyin with no warning signs just doesnt seem to go together to me.. Usually, you seem the temp jump through the roof when then water pump goes..

ahh yah i forgot u should see appear unless your bulb is blew or what not

I agree.

WP going out would not cause car to suddenly stop running.

TB snapping would not cause antifreeze leak.

Possible that something physical broke with the WP and it threw the belt, but that would not be likely.

well when i was driving the RPM's dropped dead but the engine was tenically running still... after i stopped i wasnt able to start it again

Sounds like exactly what happened to my first del sol at 180K, I was going 75 on the interstate, I think my temp light went on, there was a small pop and then engine ran louder and I could only go only 5MPH to get out of the way of traffic. After I stopped, I could not restart the car as well.

+1 blown head gasket...you are now an even poorer college student, sorry to say.

ok so i got a few things taken apart... it seems that it was the water pump that seized, then shredded the timing belt.

so on cylider 1 and 2 there is damage to the valves. so i'm going to have to replace those... it seems that i might be able to get a new top end for about $50 new gasket kit for $40 and a new water pump for about $45.

so in the next few days i will be taking out the top end, intake, and basically anything else

i have a new questions, how far can the top be "milled", whats the stock compression of a d16z6, and is it possible to put a b16 head on a d16

Possible that something physical broke with the WP and it threw the belt, but that would not be likely.

Hah!

Sucks for you in so many ways. Have you checked your local craigslist? We have working heads for sale on my local site for under $200 with no rebuilding required.

ok so the person that is helping out with alot of this wants to know about milling the head... idk if i should do this is in a seperate thread or not but i would like to know

stock compression

how much i can mill the head (keeping under 10)

i wont mill it then cause i might want to boost it later... so i finally got the head off and i cant really tell if any of the valves are bent. the pistons dont really show much scaring from hitting the valves.. any idea to truly tell if the valves are hurt?

i wont mill it then cause i might want to boost it later... so i finally got the head off and i cant really tell if any of the valves are bent. the pistons dont really show much scaring from hitting the valves.. any idea to truly tell if the valves are hurt?

Do a leakdown/compression test before removing the head.

Do a leakdown/compression test before removing the head.

WHOOPS!! i already got the head off... maybe i can try to get it back on but do u need the timing belt on to do a compression test?

WHOOPS!! i already got the head off... maybe i can try to get it back on but do u need the timing belt on to do a compression test?

Not if you pull the cams. It's how I did mine. Poured a little oil in the cylinders, then cranked. It's pointless if you've already removed the head, the bolts probably wouldn't seal it down properly now anyway, and you'd waste a headgasket doing it. Drop it off at a shop and have it compression tested. My valves looked fine as well, but a compression test showed 25-50 psi across the board. Leakdown test confirmed cylinders 2,3, and 4 leaking to exhaust side, and cylinder 1 leaking to intake side.

Not if you pull the cams. It's how I did mine. Poured a little oil in the cylinders, then cranked. It's pointless if you've already removed the head, the bolts probably wouldn't seal it down properly now anyway, and you'd waste a headgasket doing it. Drop it off at a shop and have it compression tested. My valves looked fine as well, but a compression test showed 25-50 psi across the board. Leakdown test confirmed cylinders 2,3, and 4 leaking to exhaust side, and cylinder 1 leaking to intake side.

was this on ur talon cause they are know for valves shooting holes in the pistons lol

Archived