yeah i havnt heard one good thing about vista yet

You can play Halo 2 on it.

At school, all of the computers use windows, they are all custom-built machines (the students built some, and one of our CNS teachers built the rest), and none have had any issues that I am aware of. Linux gets installed and uninstalled every semester by us for our Unix class. Everything pretty much runs smoothly.

Does Mac ever get used in a workplace environment? I have yet to see it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can play Halo 2 on it.

At school, all of the computers use windows, they are all custom-built machines (the students built some, and one of our CNS teachers built the rest), and none have had any issues that I am aware of. Linux gets installed and uninstalled every semester by us for our Unix class. Everything pretty much runs smoothly.

Does Mac ever get used in a workplace environment? I have yet to see it.

yeah it does. you have to look at it like this, Windows is a lot more blown up then Mac is. And those are custom built machines that have all of there matenince done. You dont look at like me

YOU DON'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING TO A MAC BUT UPDATE MAYBE TWICE AND TURN IT OFF AND ON, you dont have to do any matenince or any crap.

I dont see how you only have to apply two updates and be set, seems kinda risky to me.

How do a Mac's networking capabilities compare to that of a Windows machine? As a CNS student, and in Cisco 3 ATM, that would be important to me. Also, I like that you can get almost every piece of software for windows. Even if you use Linux, You can just install Wine and run windows software.

Also, if you want to just mess around with an OS without hurting anything, you can install VMware and run a virtual machine with that OS. We did this two semesters in a row with my Windows XP class and my Server 2003 class so we could make changes without messing up the OS and having to completely reinstall.

Sweet Lord what is it with Mac users and their attitude towards everyone. You have a Mac, congratuf*ckinglations. I have an iPhone but I don't go to Motorola Q boards and say "Why don't you guys have iPhones? THEY'RE SOOO MUCH BETTER!!"

Sweet Lord what is it with Mac users and their attitude towards everyone. You have a Mac, congratuf*ckinglations. I have an iPhone but I don't go to Motorola Q boards and say "Why don't you guys have iPhones? THEY'RE SOOO MUCH BETTER!!"

haha problem with this, it isn't a windows board. it's a honda forum.

i posted a topic, everyone decided to throw in opinions. im not getting offensive.

all i did was type in caps so that people made sure to read that part :thumbsup: :drool:

I dont see how you only have to apply two updates and be set, seems kinda risky to me.

How do a Mac's networking capabilities compare to that of a Windows machine? As a CNS student, and in Cisco 3 ATM, that would be important to me. Also, I like that you can get almost every piece of software for windows. Even if you use Linux, You can just install Wine and run windows software.

Also, if you want to just mess around with an OS without hurting anything, you can install VMware and run a virtual machine with that OS. We did this two semesters in a row with my Windows XP class and my Server 2003 class so we could make changes without messing up the OS and having to completely reinstall.

sorry, didnt see this one. you can run some windows programs on osx. almost every program, you can run it on osx.

there networking is actually really good, go read about it on the apple website.

edit: they only have two updates, all the security updates are fresh out the box.

it's a lot a lott harder to get a virus on mac then windows. and you don't have all the annoying safty features to go through and none of there popups.

Final synopsis:

Apple: Offers products where just about everything you could need is included. Trouble is that you pay for that full service when you buy the overpriced computer. Extremely stable.

Microsoft: Offer products that include some basics. A good mix of features and flexibility. You can buy anything from budget up to extreme but you loose some stability.

Linux: Products with minimal default options, but maximum flexibility. It is ultra cheap (or free) and you can run newer versions on a huge range of computers, making it absurdly cheap to own and operate.

Thats really all there is to it. Everything beyond that is just personal opinion. They all have their issues, good and bad.

Final synopsis:

Apple: Offers products where just about everything you could need is included. Trouble is that you pay for that full service when you buy the overpriced computer. Extremely stable.

Microsoft: Offer products that include some basics. A good mix of features and flexibility. You can buy anything from budget up to extreme but you loose some stability.

Linux: Products with minimal default options, but maximum flexibility. It is ultra cheap (or free) and you can run newer versions on a huge range of computers, making it absurdly cheap to own and operate.

Thats really all there is to it. Everything beyond that is just personal opinion. They all have their issues, good and bad.

very well put and don't forget macs garage band and ilife! haha.

garage band<3 :laugh:

I hate Apple right now b/c I'm an idiot and spilled iced tea on my macbook....but even with the extended apple care plan ($250 extra) they refuse to cover the damage (new RAM)...soooo, now i have to pay $850 out of pocket to fix this already $1700 machine, which I'm still paying off.

f*ck apple care.

I hate Apple right now b/c I'm an idiot and spilled iced tea on my macbook....but even with the extended apple care plan ($250 extra) they refuse to cover the damage (new RAM)...soooo, now i have to pay $850 out of pocket to fix this already $1700 machine, which I'm still paying off.

f*ck apple care.

...850 for ram.....

thats a wrong price.

also..why don't you just lie about how it happened?

say it randomly quick working, you took it to a shop and they said the ram went bad.

Investigate that further. Apple has an un-advertised $300 fix anything send in repair. At the shop when we get a system in that we do not want to repair or it would not be worth the time we just send it back to apple and for $300 they will fix anything and absolutely everything as long as it is not a physically damaged screen.

Well, obviously you just don't know how to setup and properly tweak Windows (XP for instance). On our computers at work we have about 70 computers/users that connect to about 8 novell servers and 5 Windows Servers. Out of the 70 workstations we might have 1 or 2 per year that freeze, no lag except the occasional network lag, updates are automatically acquired from the server, and we rarely have to update anything other than some of the court software for Statutes etc.....

Not saying that Mac couldn't do the same thing, but people who can't build and run a PC without it freezing just don't know much about Windows.

Oh, and those 1-2 per year are user errors from dumb users screwin' stuff up. About 10 minutes with system restore gets them going again.

I see you ignored my above post......I would have too if I was you. By the way, none of the above required any maintenance, server automatically gets updates, workstations automatically get them from the server. Plus programming all 70 machines took about 5-6 hours total. We programmed one, ghosted 69, installed them and don't worry about them until we install new ones in 3 years. Oh and we only install new ones every three years because it's a state mandate and we're supplied with the new machines.

IT/Networking. I have about 70 computers 14 servers and 4 counties that I maintain. I work for the court system so our users are Judges, Clerks and then the courtroom computers/recording computers. Kind of a boring job since everything usually runs smoothly. Kinda sit and wait for people to screw stuff up.

There's all sorts of lag.....you can have processor lag....graphics lag......lag from not having sufficient memory.........crappy internet..................a lot of stuff.....

you do relize you listed hardware and networking probs right? haha i said it's all hardware and network hardware. it's not the os. this thread makes me smile you guys get way too worked up about mac vs pc. they both have their place. if i did video editing im sure i would be a hardcore mac user. but i game so i use pc. and i like to build my own stuff so that's another reason.

dan - spilling things on the computer usually isn't covered by any warranties (last i cared to check). the $850 is too much, though, imo. how much ram did you have? the ram is more than for a pc, but there's no way the ram alone would cost that much. it's something you could install yourself as well, so you wouldn't need to pay to have that done.

as far as an os and lag... see vista. it's a ram hog, and while it would "technically" be a hardware issue, a lot of new pc's that run vista are available with 512mb of ram. that 512 on xp or 2000 would be pretty good for the everyday user. with vista, you'd better hope you have a while to wait every time you want to launch an app, from my experience with vista thus far.

the iphone is better than the motorola q

As far as I have experienced the $300 fix all offer is unconditional provided it wasn't a physically damaged screen.

And whoever it was that said Apple is harder to work on then mac has got that entirely backwards. I am absolutely a PC guy, but with Apple you have a system and all the parts are made and designed by the same company for one OS. I can trouble shoot any problem on an Apple 10 times easier then on a PC. On most apple systems you have all of 4-5 parts to deal with and with a PC you only have 8-10 parts to deal with, but there are nearly infinite number of possible parts configurations because the parts are made by 500 different companies.

By product of the computer in a sealed box: extremely easy to work on. The flexibility of a PC is it's own downfall. Sure Windows is a piece of junk compared to OSX, but look at the compatibility issues they have to work with? I want to see anyone else write something that would work on 892346986298 different combinations of parts.

And I'm not getting worked up. Like Hung I also service computers for a living. This sort of debate gives me enjoyment to take part in.

And whoever it was that said Apple is harder to work on then mac has got that entirely backwards.

The only reason people would think that is because they grew up on PC's and then didn't take the few minutes of time it takes to learn to work with a Mac. When I first got my Mac, I hated working with the text editor program that I use on here for coding, so I'd always use my PC for writing and editing code. Then I sat down and took a few minutes to play around with what I have on here, and stopped using the program on my PC, lol.

Archived