• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, obviously you just don't know how to setup and properly tweak Windows (XP for instance). On our computers at work we have about 70 computers/users that connect to about 8 novell servers and 5 Windows Servers. Out of the 70 workstations we might have 1 or 2 per year that freeze, no lag except the occasional network lag, updates are automatically acquired from the server, and we rarely have to update anything other than some of the court software for Statutes etc.....

Not saying that Mac couldn't do the same thing, but people who can't build and run a PC without it freezing just don't know much about Windows.

Oh, and those 1-2 per year are user errors from dumb users screwin' stuff up. About 10 minutes with system restore gets them going again.

you have to look at it like this.

when someone buys a computer they want it to work perfectly, not everyone is computer smart.

people don't want to have to tweak there pc's in order for them to run right. the pc's your work runs are most likely really good built pc's, you have an amazing network at work.

with a mac, you have a few updates, it's ready to run fresh out of the box, you don't have to read all kinds of help things to figure out how to do stuff. imo, mac is better then windows.

happy?:thumbsup:

fyi: i didn't pay attention to your topic because it was so long

this threads dead anyways.

you have to look at it like this.

when someone buys a computer they want it to work perfectly, not everyone is computer smart.

people don't want to have to tweak there pc's in order for them to run right. the pc's your work runs are most likely really good built pc's, you have an amazing network at work.

with a mac, you have a few updates, it's ready to run fresh out of the box, you don't have to read all kinds of help things to figure out how to do stuff. imo, mac is better then windows.

happy?:thumbsup:

fyi: i didn't pay attention to your topic because it was so long

this threads dead anyways.

uh yeah, i didnt have to do any of that stuff when i got my pc

thats why, you bought a dell you lemming.

lem·ming [ lémming ] (plural lem·mings)

noun Definition: 1. subarctic rodent: a rodent with a small thick furry body and furry feet that lives in subarctic regions. Lemmings are noted for their mass migrations in search of food during population explosions, which has given rise to the myth that they flock to the sea to drown themselves. Native to: Arctic and northern regions. Genus Lemmus, Dicrostonyx.

2. doomed conformist: a member of a large group of people who blindly follow one another on a course of action that will lead to destruction for all of them

2. doomed conformist: a member of a large group of people who blindly follow one another on a course of action that will lead to destruction for all of them

Exactly my sarcastical point.:devil:

Sorry, not a fan of any boxed computers. I prefer to build my own or (or in the case of the less computer skilled) have one custom built. The only thing Dell makes thats worth a damn are some nice rack mount servers and thier GX line of workstations are pretty slick. Compaq used to make some nice servers before being bought out. IBM and HP servers are a joke (HP is better now that they bought Compaq and sell Compaqs' servers under thier own name), but IBM workstations are/were unparalleled once they got their asses out of rambus limbo.

Other then the things noted above none of these companies makes a desktop thats worth a damn and is also not proprietary in some way, which lends to the frustration from people with difficult to work with equipment. It is the WalMart effect on the computer industry. You can't expect something manufactured in China, by the lowest bidder, in the millions to be of any sustainable quality. If people wouldn't demand $300 crap computers that have to be thrown away every 2 years and instead would buy quality built systems we wouldn't have nearly this big of a mess.

the only thing I like about my dell is if um.... anything happens, they will replace it..

I could run over it in my car tomorrow morning, ship it back, and get a brand new one.

also... what computer doesn't need to be tossed every 2 years..... you could have top of the line today, and next week it will be obsolete.

dan - spilling things on the computer usually isn't covered by any warranties (last i cared to check

actually at geek sqaud where i work if you got the accidental damage sevice plan we cover drops and liquid spills, just not submerges. I prefer macs over pcs, but I do alot of video editing. and I just like the look of the macs, and all apple products.

also... what computer doesn't need to be tossed every 2 years..... you could have top of the line today, and next week it will be obsolete.

Thats a bogus marketing gimmick. For a plain ole' home user why do they need to upgrade every two years? How fast of a computer do you need to read email, browse the web and word process? You don't need crap. Obsolesence is something marketed by the computer companies to get you to buy equipment more often. I know. I did it for years.

My computer officially turned 6 this month. I know cause I wrote the date I assembled it on the bottom of the case. Aside from adding some more ram and replacing a defective video card 2 years ago I can use it the same as I did when I bought it. Except for bleeding edge games I can play anything that is out there without issue at a nice resolution and a good frame rate.

updates are automatically acquired from the server, and we rarely have to update anything other than some of the court software for Statutes etc.....

I hope the updates you mentioned doesn't refer to the Windows updates, as it is common knowledge that auto-updating with those is not really a wise move since some (ie, service packs) can be unstable at first and cause more problems than good before another release is issued that solves the problems.

Windows keeps the IT field in business ;) My bf also works in the field.

Just security updates. We don't download any of the others. The old age motto of "why fix something that isn't broke?" Once it's running security updates are the only things important in my opinion.

Yeah, I figured as much, but some places do things differently. My bf always tells me never to run updates until he gives the okay, lol. Back when SP2 was first released, they were bombarded with problems client's experienced from downloading it and whatnot.

The only thing Dell makes thats worth a damn are some nice rack mount servers and thier GX line of workstations are pretty slick.

Gonna disagree with you here only too add that their flat panel LCDs are some of the best in the business.

Well, Dell doesn't make the LCDs, they just pay to have their name put on the front. But you are right, the displays are nice.

I actually knew that, but forget who actually makes them. I was however, due to my previous orders, able to pick up a 19" from them cheaper than the actual maker of the monitor.

Archived