My car is dead

90IntegraC1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

depressing to see someone just give up on something like that.

no car or car hobby will ever not cost someone money. the money=enjoyment; otherwise, why bother doing it in the first place?

and as for the money, do you think you are going to spend any less money on any car you buy? So you buy a new car for 20k, how much do you think your going to spend on it in the first 2.5 years in payments? What will you have to show for it at that point? nothing except for negative equity. cars are just a waste of money. period.

I said this from the start, you are new to the modifying world. There are a lot more downs then ups, but the ups are f*cking sickly. I understand why you want a new car, but I wish you weren't giving up as much as having to give up. You've yet to really experience a lot of stuff in the car world, it's a very rewarding place to be involved in, if you have the patients.

I said this from the start, you are new to the modifying world. There are a lot more downs then ups, but the ups are f*cking sickly. I understand why you want a new car, but I wish you weren't giving up as much as having to give up. You've yet to really experience a lot of stuff in the car world, it's a very rewarding place to be involved in, if you have the patients.

Quoted for truth. There isn't a day that's gone by that I didn't want to torch my Talon. I know it's a DSM. I know they have reliability problems. What I could've never imagined was that I would get 2 months driving time out of it, and I've owned it over a year. Some of that is me and my laziness. Some of it is the simple fact that the problem itself has been difficult to diagnose. You can rebuild a Honda engine back to OEM pretty cheaply. It's something to consider rather than just dumping the car completely.

Seriously, I told him from the first time he had troubles with his car and he started giving up on it when I met him, it's a lot of hassle. Like me wanting to sell my car was just because I was bored of it, this is the longest I've ever had a car, that's a lot different then breaking down.

Thing I regret the most is selling previous cars that I enjoyed that had problems. These were before I had a place, skills and tools to work on them though.

I will never again sell a vehicle that I enjoyed because I kick myself way to much from the previous bail-outs.

Selling cause you want to change is cool. Sell cause you are frustrated and you will regret it.

Anyone else notice we are going on and on about this and Dan isn't even responding at all?

Anyone else notice we are going on and on about this and Dan isn't even responding at all?

Yeah, he's in a land far away. Prolly not even thinking about cars. Hope he gets a sweet one as a replacement.

I mean, he needs to do what compuvision is doing a get a loan so he can do his full build properly. Then just sit back and enjoy it while he's paying it off. Buying pieces is fine if you're throwing them into an extra engine that you're gonna drop in and tune right away, but he was driving it for a while without a tune knowingly getting like half the mpgs he should have. That, to me, indicates something was wrong that needed to be fixed before it got driven more.

And, for the record, I don't see car modding as such an expensive hobby after all. Think of it -- we spend a small amount on a car and then spend the money gradually to customize it. It often evens out to if we had just bought a brand new car and made payments on it, but with us if we wanna stop spending money on it we can take a break (unless the addiction is too strong). Plus, this is both a hobby and a mode of transport all in one. Think of the guys that drive their bimmers to the golf course only to take out their bag of clubs that ran them several thousand bucks.

Agreed.

Okay, so you're going to get something "a lot nicer than a 1990 Integra"... are you going to modify this car? If it's "a lot nicer", then expect the parts to cost 2x as much (at least). :p

Yeah, once you get some more years under your belt of actually modifying cars, you'll learn that it is just how it goes around. I'm absolutely addicted and it isn't easing up, so I realize the risks, but it's worth it in the end.

Okay, so you're going to get something "a lot nicer than a 1990 Integra"... are you going to modify this car? If it's "a lot nicer", then expect the parts to cost 2x as much (at least).

Well played. :)

As for not responding....my laptop is broken, i work all day and have better things to do than try and nig someones computer at night to check the internet...i respond when i can....

i don't plan on modifying the next car...at least engine wise. I'll upgrade the audio first and go from there, but no engine work besides general matinence.

And i'm not taking a loan out to modify a car...that's absolutely ridiculous to me, especially as i'm trying to not be in debt when i'm in school. I'd much rather have an apartment and have extra spending money than spend that money on loan payments...sorry to disapoint...i'll stop coming on here since i'm a "poseur" now i guess...peace.

i'll stop coming on here since i'm a "poseur" now i guess...peace.

Ok, this comment is lame.

All the rest is fine. This much time has gone by you obviously are not making a hasty decision. Everyone is just trying to keep you in the game. Sad to see a tuner throw in the towel.

payments...sorry to disapoint...i'll stop coming on here since i'm a "poseur" now i guess...peace.

What's up with people getting all oversensitive about who likes them on HF recently?

i dont understand why your throwing in the towell dan , i told you what would happen to your engine not prepping the bottom properly(check your thread) , you knew what would happen. dont let it devastate you man , its really not a big a deal as you think it is. you still have all the components you need minus a 200 dollar bottom end(yours is still good. crank could be toast and definitely one rod at least). only this time , take it in and have it prepped for battle , lol. rushing and half ass'ing something together will almost surely end in catastrophic failure.

i dont understand why your throwing in the towell dan , i told you what would happen to your engine not prepping the bottom properly(check your thread) , you knew what would happen. dont let it devastate you man , its really not a big a deal as you think it is. you still have all the components you need minus a 200 dollar bottom end(yours is still good. crank could be toast and definitely one rod at least). only this time , take it in and have it prepped for battle , lol. rushing and half ass'ing something together will almost surely end in catastrophic failure.

Exactly. This is why I think it makes sense to borrow money in some cases when you're building a car. If you're already gonna throw all you money into it over time, might as well get it done right first so it ain't half-broken for months while you're working on it.

Taking out a loan to buy performance parts is ridiculous.

If you don't have the money to get it all from the start, then buy pieces here and there and put it all together when it's ready. Or, have another car ready to be a daily driver.

If you don't have the money to get it all from the start, then buy pieces here and there and put it all together when it's ready. Or, have another car ready to be a daily driver.

Amen to that.

I've got tons of stuff for a 96/00 EJ6 or EJ8.

Just gotta' find one.

Taking out a loan for anything other than a house is ridiculous. If you don't have the cash in hand then you can't really afford it. period.

I'm not. 1.5 years to go and I'll be 30 and I should have the house paid off by then. Should be free and clear of all CC debt and no car loans either.

Ashley, I agree to an extent, but disagree to another.

I agree, because if it breaks, then you are fracked. Cars also are something you should not go into debt for in terms of making them less reliable.

I disagree, because it depends on what your initiative is. I just took out a loan that will be all going into my love for cars, the reason I am okay with it is because by the time I pay it off, I will be finishing up college. The minimal amount of money I make will most likely be wasted on stupid crap, including alcohol, so why not make some use out of the money?

Archived