My car is dead

90IntegraC1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

look dan. i can understand how you feel. for a few months there my gsr motor in my civic was running on 3 cylinders and i felt like giving up the entire time. f*ck, for awhile there, i did. thats how i ended up with that piece of crap hatch, the stupid prelude, and then the srt-4 thing that ended up with my jdm gsr motor and turbo being stolen. all i had left was my civic, and now thats gone too. all that hard work and everything. lost.

my point is, you never know what you have until you lose it. you may not feel this way at the moment because it seems that all the car is giving you is grief, but im positive that car is one of your prized possessions man. you poured your heart and soul into that car. building it up the way you wanted and it reflected your own personality. the way every person's car should. once that car is gone, you will feel a loss in your heart. like a part of you went with it. thats how it is when youre a tuner. thats probly also how parents feel when their kids grow up and move out.

every time i see a civic drive by, or every time i see my own sig. i miss my car alot. hell, even riding around in a friends car i miss the acceleration of mine, and the way it handled on the corners.

my advice to you, is to keep the car. keep working on it. you know you love the car. just keep it around for a little while longer. you have your mom's old car for a daily, so why not just keep the DA to work on random weekends when youre bored out of your skull and have nothing else to do. its your hobby.

Taking out a loan for anything other than a house is ridiculous. If you don't have the cash in hand then you can't really afford it. period.

So what would be your suggestion for how I would get to work? I couldn't afford to buy a car outright and had to have something low mileage and reliable since I drive 30,000-40,000 miles/year due to my job. I work 40 miles from home, and am required to do service calls so a bicycle or walking is out. Sometimes you have to finance a car in order to get by in life. No car=no job.

Hes right, I said for everything.

Hung, fact is, borrowing money is just bad financial planning. period. No matter the excuses people use for justification.

Borrowing for a house is bad planning too, but houses are too expensive. You can hardly expect people to have 200k sitting in their bank.

If Dan would have to borrow money to finish his project then he should not do it. If he has to borrow money to buy his next ride he should not do that either. Thats my take. He should borrow a ride, take a bus, ride a bike, walk or pimp a hyundai for the next 6 months so he can pay in cash.

Simplified loan for car: person buys car for 20k and finances for 5 years. after that 5 years is up how much did that car cost them? depending on the interest rate it cost them 23-30k. I don't know about you but I would much rather have that 3-10k sitting in my pocket then in the banks' pocket.

Fact: 2006 was the first year in history which Americans as a cumulative whole went into debt for more then what they made. This is bad, real bad.

no

People who fail to plan choose to borrow money instead of correcting or the situation or properly planning.

Look up Dave Ramsey and read his book, it will change the way you look at money forever.

then they cannot afford to borrow the money either, and should be spending the few dollars they do have on buying potatoes to feed their kids

Wrong

People buy a car for 20k and finance 5 years and end up paying 25k (shoot on the high side). Let's say for argument sake, that the car is worth 0 after 5 years. They wasted 25k.....right? Wrong.

+35k/year

*5 years

=150,000

So financing a 20,000 car for 5 years gave them the abilty to make 150,000 in that same period that they would have been unable to make without financing a dependable car.

150,000 is more than you can make on a house in 5 years and you couldn't afford to invest into a house without the money that you make with a job that requires a dependable car. By the way, I used my income as an example but my car was only 12k. So my car makes me even more money over that period.

On the flip side, spending money on mods is horrible as an investment, but great as a hobby if it's something you enjoy. It sounds like Dan just doesn't enjoy the hobby as much anymore, so for him, it would be a waste of money. To many others on here, it's well worth the money they spend/throw away.

+1 to Pino

and +25 to Nate

I'm losing interest fast in the car modifying game....since i haven't put anything into it the last 2 months i've saved soooo much money and have been able to enjoy other things like moving to new york and having tons of extra cash to do whatever i want with....it's awesome.

I want a decent, reliable car that gets 35+ mpg on the highway....that's really all i want....thanks hung for backing me, i tried modifying a car...apparently i didn't make enough money to do it right, so i learned my lesson: it's impossible to modify a car without a loan or big income. /nuff said.

People need to learn how to work on their car themselves, that 's the whole point. Otherwise you end up giving all of your money to someone else. Whenever you have a problem with your car you are at the mercy of someone else. This goes for everyone, if you don't have the knowledge then do not attempt. Only guilty parties will be offended by this.

I am glad Dans car is "dead", there are too many people ruining it for all of the OG's in the import scene.

just a small example:

pre F&F > post F&F

+1 to Pino

and +25 to Nate

I'm losing interest fast in the car modifying game....since i haven't put anything into it the last 2 months i've saved soooo much money and have been able to enjoy other things like moving to new york and having tons of extra cash to do whatever i want with....it's awesome.

I want a decent, reliable car that gets 35+ mpg on the highway....that's really all i want....thanks hung for backing me, i tried modifying a car...apparently i didn't make enough money to do it right, so i learned my lesson: it's impossible to modify a car without a loan or big income. /nuff said.

I also said that when I got the RSX

You'll get back into it, maybe not hardcore, but you will

i tried modifying a car...apparently i didn't make enough money to do it right, so i learned my lesson: it's impossible to modify a car without a loan or big income. /nuff said.

Wrong. Patients. I told you this before. You can't just expect your car to be crazy within a year or two if you aren't working a full time job, let alone one with "crap" pay. I think you just rushed into things a little too fast and expected bigger things. Like it seemed like you expected a lot out of that LS VTEC conversion, probably a little too much. That and I think you sort of got "bit" by the car bug, but it was more like a misquito bite and it went away after a little, unlike a lot of us who got bit and got a disease.

ROFLWAFFLZ.

I've got what you would call the SARS level tuning bug. All it took was a ride in a 500whp Integra to make me look at my car as though it was trash LOL.

I'm GOING to get back into it.

Some people on here have some interesting ideas on finances. At least Hung understands some things.

Would you say that anyone who started a big corporation that required borrowing from investors was an idiot, x3772? Just cuz you read one book by one guy doesn't mean you know everything about finances. I'm not saying living debt-free is a stupid idea by any stretch, but sometimes you need to.

Dan, I totally know what you mean about how sweet it is to be able spend money on something besides cars. I've taken a few breaks from modding in the past and it's nice to have money again.

that LSVTEC i built has 12,000 clicks on it now , working good , lol. he just bought a 95 teg , were gonna switch the LSVTEC setup out of his 92 and put it in his new car. i dont blame ya dan buddy for going practical , you cant lose. some people just arent as much a car enthusiast dude.

Archived