D16 Builds ... Anyone?

Given you had a D16 and you wanted to keep it/build it, what would be your setup?

Daily Driven:

D16A6

PM7's

A6 Rods/ARP Rod Bolts

D16Z6 Head

Port Job

S2 IM Portmatched

Holley 65mm TB

SMS Header

Supertech Valvesprings/Retainers (Or RM)

New Geared Tranny

7lb Flywheel

Exedy or Action Clutch

AEM Cam gear

Comp III Cam

Tuned on Crome

That setup has made 158whp and 139wtq on a dyno nearby with a no name egay header. Talk about killing GSR swapped civics lol. Just a statement, I know the GSR is a better motor, so don't even start.

Which one did it use?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well , the deal with when i said 220 , if you read it again , was with a built head. i even mention a 50 shot of N2. but dont matter , would be a fun D no matter what power it ended up with.

Here's another cool build:

D16z6

79mm bore

Resleeved by JG

ACL Bearings

Micro Polished Crank

CP 12:1 Pistons

Scat Rods

JG Ported Head

Ti Retainers

New Valve Springs

1mm oversized valves

JG 85VT80 Cam

Multiangle valvejob

440 CC injectors

Crome/Hondata

226whp and 163wtq. Not bad.

That would be wicked fast.

I'm gonna do cranny's build. You do that one. Then we will race.

Good job posting intelligent threads, by the way.

Edit: Cranny, what would you recommend for building the head to eke out 220 hp on your build.

Here's another cool build:

D16z6

79mm bore

Resleeved by JG

ACL Bearings

Micro Polished Crank

CP 12:1 Pistons

Scat Rods

JG Ported Head

Ti Retainers

New Valve Springs

1mm oversized valves

JG 85VT80 Cam

Multiangle valvejob

440 CC injectors

Crome/Hondata

226whp and 163wtq. Not bad.

where are you getting those numbers? did someone do this build or are you making your own ideas?

Yeah.

I saw a D16z6 with ported head, cam, new valvetrain, I/H/E and IM make 160.3whp and 121.2wtq. Awesome stuff too.

Edit: Cranny, what would you recommend for building the head to eke out 220 hp on your build.

what would i recommend , well solles is saying a stock Z6 with a built head made 160 somewheres he read. so the engine ive listed is gonna make sure as hell alot more than that , given the fact a Z6 dont even have 10:1 CR stock. id say(and i dont care what other sites say), that engine ive listed will be good for at least 200 whp once done with a built head(ported , polished , 3 angle valve job , cam , springs and retainers , aftermarket intake manny , nice header and intake. id say my engine would spank solles , but thats just me. although his is good for 12:1 , mine has the piston travel of a smallblock chev , hahaha(not really but more than stock). plus the engine im talking about here is comprised mostly of factory parts. thats a good done too though solles , 79mm bore wow , for those who dont know , D series are 75mm stock.

PS , if you run a D17 crank in the 96-00 D16 block like i said , you must use a D17 oil pump so ive read.

Wow. What a great thread.

I will definitely be adopting cranny's build when I actually get the chance to do some engine building. Hopefully that will be this summer or next winter. You two (SolLes and Cranny) will be my go-to guys, so neither of you die before then, please.

more info, i wanna do a D build some day!

sooo, about the 1 mm oversized valves...what would that accomlish? it just the shaft 1 mm wider in diameter or the actual part that touches the piston is 1 mm wider all around?

please elaborate as to why a 1 mm oversized valve would aid in gaining hp....

bigger valves = bigger openings for air and fuel to enter cylinders. like i said , not cheap work at all. when doing this you are literally changing the casting of the head.

sooo, about the 1 mm oversized valves...what would that accomlish? it just the shaft 1 mm wider in diameter or the actual part that touches the piston is 1 mm wider all around?

heres my ol engine diagram again , lol.

you see where the valves are seated at the top of the cylinder(letter V) and the 2 chambers that lead to them (runners). well the holes they are seated in are a certain diameter. solles is talking about increasing the diameter of the hole that the valve seals in. increasing flow. and increasing the diameter of the runners that lead to the valves , this is porting.

Four_stroke_engine_diagram.jpg

A6 has 1mm smaller valves than what? D heads can only be as good as they are cause of their size , plus thier hemi design , 4 VPC and spark plug dead center. not to mention the way the spark plug gets held , the tube that holds each plug takes up alot of room underthe valve cover on the exhaust side of the head. thus no VTEC on sohc exhaust sides. basically , theres not a lot of room to change anything.

A6 has 1mm smaller valves than what? D heads can only be as good as they are cause of their size , plus thier hemi design , 4 VPC and spark plug dead center. not to mention the way the spark plug gets held , the tube that holds each plug takes up alot of room underthe valve cover on the exhaust side of the head. thus no VTEC on sohc exhaust sides. basically , theres not a lot of room to change anything.

So what you're saying is, "Yeah, my sol's got a hemi?"

Archived