D16 Builds ... Anyone?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I'm gonna email him then. Will post price details for a D series merge in stainless (shipped).

Edit: I just checked his site again and guess what? D series are his only headers that don't automatically come in stainless steel! WTF?

Alright. Here's the results from my email to the good people at SMS Products:

I never tried a standard 4-1 on my car vs the 4-2-1 that I build and

currently have for sale.

I feel that this is misleading since he lists the header on his site as a 4-1, although now that I look at the picture it is a 4-2-1. This is it with the JetHot coating:

d16_4-1.jpg

A stainless 4-1 would run around $850. 2-1/4" donut $15. 2-1/4" OBDI 300

cell cat is $165. The 2-1/2" stainless tubing kit is $225, resonators from

$55 to $65 depending on the length and the muffler could run from $75 for a

satin 409 stainless 5x8 oval to $175 for a Ti round with 4" dia tip.

So almost an extra hundred for a stainless 4-1 than a JetHot coated 4-2-1 in mild steel. And about $588-650 for the exhaust depending on how expensive I go for the muffler. That would mean a total cost of about $1300-1400 with shipping for a SMS header/full exhaust system shipped to my door.

Thoughts?

definitely 4-1. nice header though for sure. mild steel though , garbage. the jet hot coating will keep it from rusting for a while but it will rust. thats the only thing that sucks about mild.

It's a 4-1. The header he used on his car was a prototype 4-2-1.

D series is standard in MS because D series people are cheap asses. People who build B series usually have the money to do so without living off noodles.

forget about the smsp header dude , this is a street car not a track car , its simply not worth 750 dollars , even with its caliber. thats a ripoff.

Yeah, it is seeming like forgetting SMSP is what's up. I mean $1300-1400 is double the price of a DC and Tanabe setup and I'm deffo not tracking this car or even that much of a speed junky. I just want to build a fun car for everyday. With the money I save from going with the old "stand-bys" I can get a S2 IM and TB, which will complete my intake setup. Throw some more bolt-ons in there and build the tranny, then I'm ready to really start tackling the engine.

If you just want a fun car with low-no maintenance do my setup.

SMSP header (MS coated for you)

Action clutch

Fidanza flywheel

MF or SRR or Gear X 4.7 FD in an EX trans.

You'll beat Saturns, non-B Civic's, Integra LS's, hang with or beat Si's, etc.

skip the smsp header though imo , enough money for 1 or 2 more things in the savings. funny how people with good products price gouge , the way of the world now.

well i suppose not , me personally SSR , i just hate being ripped off man. every purchase i make is like a battle with myself , hahaha , i mean it. maybe im cheap. who am i kiddin maybe , lol , im fukin cheap man. SSR is right , over the span of the entire build , 200 dollars difference isnt much between a DCspports header or smsp. but lets not forget , those arent the only 2 headers out there.

SMSP is not a rip off. He isn't getting rich off this. He has a 1,200 sq-ft shop and sets his price so he can live off the profits since this is all he does. Look how many people have copied his headers.

Ok. You go to school and get a degree in Mechanical Engineering, open and run your own shop, do the R&D for headers and exhaust, build headers and exhaust, and have the same price as DC Sports.

I think he is talking about cost per hp. Yeah, you could stick with the header that everyone else uses, and only gain 10hp, BUT you could spend another grand, and get 12hp. I'll spend my grand someplace else, thank you very much.

I don't see where you're getting $1,300 from?

An SMSP D header w/ jethot is $730.

Thats $440 more than your ebay DC header.

More power, more torque, better ground clearance, supporting the people who support the industry.

I got that from the email he sent me about pricing for the header and exhaust. I posted it one page ago.

I'm doing a better build than the four things you posted (ie more mods and fully built trans), but I'm not sure exactly what all the specifics are. I agree that in the long run the price won't exacltly matter, but I don't know when I'll be buying this anyway, so I guess it's possible that I'll get DC or even SMSP depending on cash available at the time. Most likely DC, though, unless I come into some money.

Dude skip SMSP. 10 hp for 500 less than 12 hp. Ummm let me think about that....

Go with the fallbacks. Youll be happier and the crap won't rust on you. which is pretty damn important in MD.

Archived