D16 Builds ... Anyone?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting clutch/flywheel/short-shifter next. Saving my money right now cuz I want to do it up right. Then comes wheels then exhaust and header (prolly at the same time since I'm getting both from SMSP).

you can tune ITB's with crome. as well as many others , but just letting you know since you guys like crome. the parts needed to chip your obd1 ecu , will cost you a whopping 30 bucks at radio shack , haha. or component store , than all you need is someone with a rom burner , and crome 1.7 , and to know what hes doing. man i dont know why your dead set on SMSP , agreed , its awsome stuff , but for this build , way overdoing it on a horsepower here and there. for the money you save getting skunk2 , DCsports or OBX gear , is another step , if not 2 , closer to your build being done. than once your engine built and running good , you can upgrade while having stuff to sell off. thats my opinion anyways.

you can get your exhaust pieces first if you like , dont matter really , you should make a list of everything your gonna need. and what you have.

Yeah, I am pretty set on SMSP. They get rave reviews and have some impressive dynos. The exhaust isn't going to be much more expensive at all from them -- 500 bucks (about, maybe less, I don't know exactly what all I will need for a full system) versus 450 for Tanabe. The header is gonna be like 550 instead of 300. That's not too big a difference in price so I'll deal and know I bought the best.

well last time someone posted a price of an SMSP header , they said they were 750 bucks. thats a far cry from 550. 550 aint bad at all if they are as good as they say.

I don't really see the advantage of getting it coated, so I'll be saving 180 on that.

You happen to know what parts I would need to piece together an exhaust system from them would you? I don't know the difference between all those pipes and I wouldn't want to order too much or too little.

im sure smsp headers are direct oem fitment. SSR would know for sure. in which case you either use high flow cat with bigger in and outlets , or factory cat which would be FTL , lol. and you need catback exhaust , be it bought or made. get a 4-2-1 or 4-1 whatever tickles your fancy. 4-2-1 prolly better for a D. that will connect to your cat. than theres the midpipe , which goes from the cat to the rear axle , than there the overaxle pipe , which goes over the axle , lol , and into the muffler , than theres a tailpipe. so those are the pieces your exhaust is comprised of , figure out what you need.

Just em-mail him and have him price you ex exhaust. I ordered his race exhaust for mine. 1.5' of piping followed by an 18" resonator with a turn down that exits mid-car.

If you don't get it coated, it will rust.

4-1 makes better power on the D.

SMSP headers aren't stainless? WTF?

What are the actual advantages between 4-1 and 4-2-1. If one is low to mid and one is high range power I want low to mid, or at least mid to high.

I will email him soon. Maybe I can get a discount for buying all of it at once, header and all....

They're mild steel. You can get them in stainless.

He doesn't make a 4-2-1 for D series, at least not one thats for sale. He will be borrowing my header to test on his A6. He thinks it will do better in low-high than his prototype 4-2-1.

They are not direct OEM fitment.

You won't get a discount.

how much for stainless? a grand , lol. not worth it man no fukin way. if they were such gung ho make better headers than everyone else people like you say , they wouldnt even be making them out of mild steel at all like wtf. pay that much money for somin that will be rusted and crapty in like a month , fuk that.

save your money and spend it else where

so....when did ss become so expensive, and hard to work with, that he feels the need to jack the price up 500 dollars?!

You pay for his design, and testing, I understand that. But there isn't any difference between the two, besides the one is ss, and the one is mild steel.

Some of these Honda dealers are half retarded I swear.

Yeah, I really don't like the idea of paying extra for stainless steel. That should be a given. I will deffo have to email him and ask about final pricing for a stainless steel 4-1 D series with shipping. Once it gets over 600 then it's twice a DC sports stainless, and that's getting a little pricey...

Team-Integra has an entire header article about choosing a header and why you choose a certain header....

SMSP was in the Full-Race section, they said it shouldn't even be used on the street cause it's a waste of money.

Archived