Some boost for ya'. Guess the numbers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like I said if you have any questions feel free to ask. SSR knows more, but I know quite a bit more than he may think :p

I'll be sure to do that. :laugh:

Dude, you're so full of crap. End yourself.

Stroking is bad for an engine. If you want more stroke just put in a stock 89mm crank. You don't have longer rods with a stroker kit. More stroke in the same block = shorter rods. Shorter rods = engine not happy at high RPM. The setup I listed is not a stock block. It is bored slightly and has different OEM pistons in it. Wait, using your logic the pistons have to be aftermarket to make it built. If you would use your peanut sized brain and look at the setup I posted, you'd realize its 11.x:1 CR and 1.8L. You don't need more than 330 injectors. Go get a clue.

lol stroking is bad for an engine? lol i've seen guys around here go from a 69mm stroke to 84mm stoke. granted they have a crap load of clearancing to do, but they get the job done, and done well....

rod length doesn't have anything to do with how happy your engine will be at rpm....I recall a whole article in a drag racing mag that goes into detail about this. longer rods move your powerband up more....shorter moves it down lower.

Meeeh.

The D-Sport article covered power. The big builders have always been in debate over long vs short rod for power. The article proved there isn't much of a difference. It affects piston speeds and cylinder wear. Try running a 95-105mm stroker up to 11k and see how it likes it... 84mm stroke is nothing on a Honda.

it loves it , your wrong about strokers dude. and rod lengths. you say shorter rods stroke an engine well i never heard of that. yes you use stock crank , but you use longer rods , and shorter pistons(by shorter pistons i mean the distance from the top of the piston to the wrist pin is reduced). short rods with a stroked crank are harder on an engine(like you said cause it wears away cyl. walls faster) than long rods with stock crank and shorter pistons , its simple as that. you guys think he actually knows more than me about cars , solles?? haha , funny crap. what im talking about isnt even that exspensive really. without stroking the engine, its a stock engine with headwork like i said. oh i should also mention , depending on what life(cams) you run you will need to make sure pistons have enough valve relief cut in them .

more stroke = shorter rods , fukin hilarious dude really and your telling me to end myself. shorter rods makes pistons travel further eh , maybe in your world.

Ok. Now its official. cranny is a dumbass.

A stock crank with longer rods and a shorter pin is not stroking. That is just a long rod engine.

Stroking = a bigger crank (more stroke for you slow people). I never said a shorter rod is stroking. I said you have to use a shorter rod when you stroke an engine.

Using a long rod setup is usually more expensive as you can't use OEM pistons as the pistons have to be custom made most of the time.

God, you really are an idiot.

well lets see this article then ssr.....i'm pulling up article after article on the web that agrees with me. Besides I'll listen to a drag racing article thats having these guys throwin out some real hp numbers (all motor) over an "import tuner" mag.

long stroke:

pistons spends more time around tdc, which lends itself to being more efficient. (ie higher cylinder pressures) that is y this is good for mid to upper range power.

also this is it's downfall.....slow moving piston=slow moving intake and exhaust. not enough velocity in the intake and exhaust to make power at low rpm.

short sroke:

lends itself to small displacement motors, because of its high piston speed (ie lots of port velocity) this is how it makes low end power, by the velocity, and more uniform burn (atomization of fuel is greater with higher velocity). spends little time around tdc so it lends itslef to a forced induction of some kind. (resists detonation that way)

the piston speed is it's downfall...at high rpm the piston will "out run" the combustion, and produce minimal power.

Why do you pretend like you know so much? Arent you only like 19 ssr?......yeah....

ok take the age part out, I guess there are such things as prodgies.....

I was refering to automotive experience in general, he is young and doesn't know as much as someone in the bussiness for years.

Not always true. The best way to learn is by experience, yes. But if you read a lot before hand, it makes that experience better, quicker. I know for a fact that I know more than half of the people in my area who work on cars/imports everyday. Experience and age isn't everything. Trust me.

yes experience is knoledge. but i agree with solles as well to a point. cause theory is only one part solles , but i aint givin yas crap only SSR cause he thinks he knows all but from what i see hes only a transmission guy. and i generally dont like his attitude cause hes an assh*le most of the time to even discuss things with. right off the get in the last page we disagree on somin, (which for smart people would end up being a learning occasion , discussing i mean) , instead he tells me end myself i know fuk all he knows everything. well thats where you age shines through right there and thats where i agree with pyro cause i know hes not a kid and actually works on cars as well. SSR i hate to tel ya man but your wrong in this case its just that simple , and it aint cause i think your stupid , assh*le , just the facts dude. i know you know alot about cars and thats cool , but you can always learn dude same as me. i know this sounds gay like holier than thou and i dont mean it that way , but ive been working on cars for over 15 years SSR , ive seen alot , and worked on alot more cars other than hondas. maybe you should listen to me once in a while.

God, your frackign stupidity kills me. D-Sport is an import DRAG RACING magazine. They did an article comparing long rod to short rod. Stroke was the same.

Using a longer rod with a shorter pin is not stroking genius. Unless you plate a block then the only way to stroke it is with a shorter rod or smaller pin. The D17 has a stroke of 94.4mm vs D16 90mm. Rod length is the same at 137mm. Pin diamter is different. The B16B has the same stroke as the B16A, but it has a taller block so it can use longer rods while keeping the same pin diameter. Just changing the rod length alone without changing the stroke is NOT stroking as you said it is.

I don't pretend like I know so much. I know so much. When you talk on a daily basis with people like Brad(RLZ), Robert(RM), Don Flores(DFE), and they help you out with getting an edge over other people, let me know. BTW since you probably don't know who they are, they are the best engine builders in the import world.

Ok. Now its official. cranny is a dumbass.

A stock crank with longer rods and a shorter pin is not stroking. That is just a long rod engine.

Stroking = a bigger crank (more stroke for you slow people). I never said a shorter rod is stroking. I said you have to use a shorter rod when you stroke an engine.

Using a long rod setup is usually more expensive as you can't use OEM pistons as the pistons have to be custom made most of the time.

God, you really are an idiot.

ok take the age part out, I guess there are such things as prodgies.....

I was refering to automotive experience in general, he is young and doesn't know as much as someone in the bussiness for years.

first, the man is right. without a bigger crank, you don't stroke an engine. THATS WHY WHEN YOU BUY A STROKER KIT IT COMES WITH A LARGER CRANK.

second, f*ck age. half the mechanics that 'work on cars for 15 years' and work at local shops are idiots. 98% of the time they call a certified mechanic to come in and fix a major problem, AND THE MECHANIC IS CERTIFIED BECAUSE HE HAS A DEGREE, NOT BECAUSE OF HIS AGE OR EXPERIENCE.

i can go to UTI for 4 years and be certified in a ford garage, and i would only be 23.

God, your frackign stupidity kills me. D-Sport is an import DRAG RACING magazine. They did an article comparing long rod to short rod. Stroke was the same.

Using a longer rod with a shorter pin is not stroking genius. Unless you plate a block then the only way to stroke it is with a shorter rod or smaller pin. The D17 has a stroke of 94.4mm vs D16 90mm. Rod length is the same at 137mm. Pin diamter is different. The B16B has the same stroke as the B16A, but it has a taller block so it can use longer rods while keeping the same pin diameter. Just changing the rod length alone without changing the stroke is NOT stroking as you said it is.

I don't pretend like I know so much. I know so much. When you talk on a daily basis with people like Brad(RLZ), Robert(RM), Don Flores(DFE), and they help you out with getting an edge over other people, let me know. BTW since you probably don't know who they are, they are the best engine builders in the import world.

my stupidity eh? See the part where I stopped listening is where you said IMPORT DRAG RACING....do you think there is a reason why they don't use honda engines in an 8 second drag car? Um yeah....why would a company want to put that kind of research in a non worthwhile engine? So in other words more R&D is going into those american v'8's to put out those high hp numbers. They would know what works and what doesn't. Rod length DOES effect your powerband, and it has been proven over and over again, not just disproved by one company writing an article for a mag.

Ok now....if we are talking about highly modifying the intake of short rod engine, then the two could produce close to the same numbers. granted it's all in the combo, but as a general rule of thumb, longer rods = better top end, shorter rods = better bottom end power.

btw using a short rod on a stroker.....yeah you'll get the clearance at the top so you don't smash your piston into your head, but what about at the bottom? .....yeah....pistons have a tendancy to wobble when they go too far out of a cyl.

these debates about short rods vs long rods have been going on for just about as long as hp vs torque battle has been.

oh btw.....ssr, I didn't know you were 19 before today....i just guessed from how cocky you are on these forums.

quit bein an ass to people, and accept the fact that you can stand to learn a thing or two

dont even bother dude , they read this they read that. they talked to this guy who said he knew that guy who said. try pickin up a ratchet and doin some of the stuff you talk like you know. name it ive done it to a car. and you dont need a crank to stroke an engine fools. jesus.

i never read this from a few posts back , were basically talking about the same thing after i read this. changing crank out will give you more overall piston travel up and down. thats not what im talking about though. cranks are big bucks. im talking about shorter pistons and longer rods , still changing its stroke SSR , just making it easier for the engine to turn high rpms. so we were arguing about terminology. i just call it a stroker whenever stroke is altered , he apparently calls it a long rod engine , lol , listen to yas arguing whos rods are longer , fukin fags , lol.

and to SSR about one comment , you say youl need custom pistons , thats pretty vague considering any pistons that arent factory are custom wouldnt you say.

I was talking to cranny. All motor Hondas are running 9's. Turbo Honda's are running 8's (might be 7's now).

cranny, STFU. Putting a longer rod in an engine DOES NOT change the stroke. It changes the rod length which alters the R/S ratio. Not the stroke itself. I do the stuff I talk about. Name it you've done it? So tell me about the offset bore, plated 2.0L D16 you built. bore, stroke, bore offset by how much? how much did the head flow at .500 with 28" of water? what size were the valves, how light of rods did you use? skirted or skirtless pistons? how much power did it make?

um....not everyone has a flow bench, a dyno, or a line bore er (spelling?) at their house to use for everyday purposes, so thats just gay.

oh and altering the r/s ratio does alter the stroke, just not stroke length.

Reading comprehension. That was directed to cranny.

rod length does not affect stroke. long or short rod the stroke remains the same. Keep the same diameter pin with a long rod. Other than the piston smashing into the head, the stroke is still the same.

mmy bad on terminology like i said. i already said it just makes engine like revs more , without changing piston travel. exactly pyro , thats what i was talking about. altering the R/S ratio in a way it would make it easier for the engine to turn high revs. whever we alter the stroke in such a way we just call it a stroker. but changing the crank for bigger stroke with shorter rods to increase piston travel is huge power gains but hard on an engine after a while. youl constantly need sleeving done. when i had my 5.0 justang this is what i was gonna do to it , turn a 302 (5.0 engine) , into a 347 stroker. for all you mustang guys , its guaranteed to give you 400 at the wheels with at least a .202 head and cobra intake manny. sweet fawking setup dudes im telling you. a guy here i know done his stang , 347 stroker , with .205 edelbraoke performer twisted wedge heads(fukin serious head for those who dont know). and aftermarket intake manifold. making 600 to the rear wheels. only runs on av gas though , lol , its got like 14:1 or somin insane like that , lol. thats still running stock ignition and everything. insane power to be had from a smallblock 302 ford. FUK CHEV

and as far as your questions dude , like the man said we didnt have a flowbench. i built this motor(me and another dude) , 10 years ago my man. you were fukin 9 years old dude. and i didnt know as much back than as i know now. i could go research cause i know exactly what we did and find your measurements but why bother really. what i told you we done is exactly the truth. the engine still runs to this day. ill get pics for you. some questions i know. the head was stock other than mild porting job cause all we could afford. like i said , we used an A6 head , planed 8 thou(.008). we planed the block 10 thou(.010). we put it together still with stock pistons and rods(D15B7 block , as the A6 block threw a rod and put a hole in the block, which is what spurred this build). 2.25 inch exhaust fron to back no cats no nothin , lol , cant remember what brand header its got on it , next time i see him ill look. was a good working car , and like i said , still runs to this day.

a quick somewhat off topic question.

how do you control the amount of boost a turbocharger creates. lets say i want to turbocharge my car, how do i keep it at a psi my motor can handle instead of blowing it up like a schmuck

Archived