Do I swap or Turbo it...Greddy style

Exclusive Honda Girl

Hey there...Just looking for a little advice on how to make the best of my civic--hp/torque wise...any advice would be awsome?? Is it possible to convert it into a "machine" lol...or am I forced to let go of it and find something better? I'm open to anything...even going a totally different route ala STI--lol?? Any feedback would be awsome! I love my Civic...it's my third one in 10 years...but I have been introduced to some of the finer things in life aka Subaru! I used to mock them too...but after being introduced first hand (my good friend owns an '02 WRX--FULLY done), to thier sick potential...I start to wonder...why not??

for the last time... horsepower dont mean crap.

back to the original poster..

what engine are you running? i have a 95 EX coupe w/ the single cam VTEC (d16z6) but i will be going to an LSVTEC swap soon. it SHOULD put me in the 14's (mid-high) w/ some simple bolt ons (intake, header, exhaust, inake manifold, clutch/flywheel)

other good options for the low 15's high 14s are the GSR swap w/ some good bolt ons, or the Type R swap... but both of those can be fairly expensive, thats why i opted with the LSVTEC (it will rape a GSR at that too.)

if you are unfamiliar with the LSVTEC, in a nutshell its an Integra LS engine, w/ a VTEC head, and your option of transmission.

now the turbo kits.

the only reason i don't turbo, is because to prepare for a turbo, you SHOULD build up the block and the head a bit, plus the kit, thats why it can be slightly pricy.

BUT, kits such as the greddy kit, or the edelbrock kit say they are used for stock engines... but just keep in mind the block should be built a little just for insurance, or if you plan on racing it alot.

you can expect to hit the 13's usually w/ a turbo single cam VTEC and of course your clutch/flywheel and exhaust setup.

so to sum it up.

personally, im doing the swap, becaues its about the same price, but IMO, its a tad bit more reliable down the road.

BUT, if properly maintained and built, a turbo kit will last quite a while also.

HP numbers do mean something, just not everything. Dumb arguement.

I have a d16 turbo now, and can tell you it's rowdy. We have most of it put together. With a d16 turbo you can hit 350whp and run 11's.

It's not about how much power, it is also about where you make it. Power to weight ratio of a 2200 lb del sol with 350whp is 6.28 lb/hp. Power to weight ratio of a 3500 lb camaro with 350 whp is 10lb/hp. Who is going to win ? The sol will rape it. Bottom line. There are too many facotrs. I have seen civic with 250 whp run in the 12's.

HP numbers do mean something, just not everything. Dumb arguement.

I have a d16 turbo now, and can tell you it's rowdy. We have most of it put together. With a d16 turbo you can hit 350whp and run 11's.

It's not about how much power, it is also about where you make it. Power to weight ratio of a 2200 lb del sol with 350whp is 6.28 lb/hp. Power to weight ratio of a 3500 lb camaro with 350 whp is 10lb/hp. Who is going to win ? The sol will rape it. Bottom line. There are too many facotrs. I have seen civic with 250 whp run in the 12's.

yea u can do that if u rip everything out of the car. All of my interior is there + roll cage. And i still got cold ac in the summer. It cracks me up when i pull up to a civic with nothin in it ex for the drivers seat and the shifter.

No offence americanmuscle.....but I wouldn't be caught dead in a Camero or Mustang....I like to take the odd corner...lol What are you doing on a honda fourm anyway? Did the Subaru guys send you running?

I'm not looking for a 1/4 mile car. Looking to get more HP out of the old Honda, & wondering what the best option is for the $$.

I have an '01 EX W/ the 1.6 SOHC.

god y cant 4 bangers have normal engine names... like the 350,351,302,403,455,572,454,400,460????

yea u can do that if u rip everything out of the car. All of my interior is there + roll cage. And i still got cold ac in the summer. It cracks me up when i pull up to a civic with nothin in it ex for the drivers seat and the shifter.

:thumbsup:

weight to power doesnt meen very much...my z3 has a low ratio,, and yes it is semi slow to 85 but from 85-160 its as fast as hell...and it out handles most cars also...the civic is not only an easy car to make fast if you put some money in it the independent suspension is easy to make handle really good..thats just my input

No offence americanmuscle.....but I wouldn't be caught dead in a Camero or Mustang....I like to take the odd corner...lol What are you doing on a honda fourm anyway? Did the Subaru guys send you running?

I'm not looking for a 1/4 mile car. Looking to get more HP out of the old Honda, & wondering what the best option is for the $$.

I have an '01 EX W/ the 1.6 SOHC.

Well, you already have a decent platform to build on. How much money are you looking to spend? You could throw a turbo on that and make it a blast to drive.

Archived