B16A head on a B18B block?

Hey all, I've been researching a lot lately for this swap I'm lookin to do in my '90 teg...The swap that looks the best to me is to put the Civic Si B16A head on the LS or B18B long block...i would also like to, during the swap, put the GSR intake/exhaust manifold and the GSR Intake Cam to replace the stock ones. Is this what people refer to as the LS/VTEC swap? Also, in the long run it seems that combining a few b-series engine parts will put out more whp and torque than the B18C1 complete swap. Is hooking up the oil supply line for VTEC hard on this swap? Is a knock sensor completely necessary? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated..thanks.

im on my girls computer right now, when i get home later tonight i can send you 2 helpful links..

use the same manifolds as the heads. it would be dumb to use a GSR intake manifold with a b16 head (if it'll even work) because the GSR intake manifold has individual 'butterfly' valves in the intake manifold. if you want to upgrade either one, get a header and a skunk2 or blox intake manifold.

ah well then, that's helpful i thought most b-series parts fit with little or no mods, but that is good to know, thanks a lot i'll look at headers and skunk 2 intake manifold...sweet :D

no prob... headeR. only 1.

look into a DC sports.

first, forget performance

if you're looking to do the LS vtec, its ALOT more complicated.

you need, at LEAST, (there will be some stuff im forgetting)

vtec head

b18 block

golden eagle conversion kit

halfshafts

axels

vtec water pump

vtec timing belt

vtec oil pump

chipped ecu - you MUST get it dyno tuned after the swap for it to perform to the best!

conversion harness to the ECU

all the gaskets

tranny

shift linkage

mounts

umm, there is plenty more, im just really tired, i'll try to get the links later tonite.

that right there is EASILY 1800 bucks.

plus the head work you need to do, and the oil line stuff.

a GS-R intake manifold won't bolt up to a B16. it takes a lot more than just swapping on a VTEC head and having it run. I spent about $5500-$6000 on my whole setup. that includes labor, a custom header, and tons of other parts. that doesn't include engine management and tuning.

yeah i'm prepared for the major amount of money going into this. 5K is still less then it would be to swap in a k20 or B18C5, this is going to be a long process, but in the end I think it will be worth it...and I won't be paying labor costs because my uncle has a cherrypicker and he knows everything there is to know about Honda's because he went to UTI.

LOL. You can't be taught. You can only know. Going to school doesn't mean anything. I know more about Honda performance than he does.

You need to research a lot more.

...SSR..., my uncle does know everything there is to know about Honda's, he built a small block from scratch 20 years ago and has fixed every problem that I've had with my car....which is a lot

Let's not start this again. According to SSR......SSR>everyone else. I don't personally know everyone else, so I can't say.

SSR is extremely knowledgable with Hondas though. I would definately consider any advice he has regarding anything mechanical on a honda.

oh yeah mycarsux is my friend Harry, he's actually a Honda owner, don't worry I'm not bringing any more SRT-4 owners on here...

What if I, to save some cash, used my B18A1 block to combine with the b16A head...I think I'll save about $500 easily by just using my block I have now. Also, how much am I looking at to do a manual conversion during this whole process? My friends say about $600, but I would think i'd be more than that... :(

oh yeah mycarsux is my friend Harry, he's actually a Honda owner, don't worry I'm not bringing any more SRT-4 owners on here...

What if I, to save some cash, used my B18A1 block to combine with the b16A head...I think I'll save about $500 easily by just using my block I have now. Also, how much am I looking at to do a manual conversion during this whole process? My friends say about $600, but I would think i'd be more than that... :(

sademo.jpg

i love dan :wub::wub::wub:

around $1300 for a complete tranny? that's not so bad. what about the B16A head, I'm just going to keep my B18A1 block, saves money and it would be pointless to swap in a B18B block and spend an extra $600

Archived