thinking about a new car

optional187

for whatever reason i have been feeling like getting a new car lately. there is nothing wrong with my eclipse, i just want something different. something that still looks sporty, goes as fast or faster (basically meets or exceeds the performance levels of the eclipse), and is still in the sport compact genre. the problem is that i find myself without a lot of options.

i looked at and test drove (twice) a subaru wrx. its faster than the eclipse by a little. awd so that would be fun, especially since i live in the country (some of you have seen the pictures). but it doesn't look that sporty. a few exterior mods would pretty much take care of that though. i really like the wrx, i just don't know how i feel about exterior styling. i don't know if i want a four door car that doesn't look that sporty (especially coming from the eclipse), but it would be a nice car down the road.

i sat in, no test drive, a acura rsx-s. i've never paid much attention to this car since i haven't really seen one in person with the 03+ performance package...but since visiting the acura dealership the other day and looking at one the rsx-s is looking tempting. i like the 6-spd tranny a lot, the interior is nice and sporty, yet still luxury feeling, it runs a slightly lower quarter mile, would handle the same or better as the eclipse, and looks good with that big spoiler. however, all i'd be able to afford would be a 02 rsx-s so i wouldn't get that spoiler (which makes the car imo)...could i put a 03 spoiler on a 02 rsx-s?

thats where i hit a dead end. what else should i be looking at? i know those aren't the only two choices i have for a newer car...but i can't think of anything else.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Evo 8 and Dodge SRT are turbocharged. Not that you would ever drive these cars.

Everyone I know makes fun of four door sedans. My Integra gets knocked for being a sedan. It's strange how new cars coming out are performance sedans. Turbocharged family cars.

The RSX would be a good car for you.

evo 8 cost way to much money...plus i could just drop a earlier evo engine with a larger turbo in to my car now for less money. but yeah, i'd go for a sti before the evo. insurance would eat me though.

the srt-4 would be an option...but i dont trust the neon with factory power. it just seems like its destined for problems down the line.

i just read that the a-spec package can only be bought as a package...which sucks. but thanks for pointing out the ITR spoiler ssr...that may be a deciding factor for my new car. my dad keeps telling me "I really like that 'ack-ruh'." so we'll see. need to stop by insurance and see how much it will cost me.

thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming. i know frankie has got some pictures of cars i haven't thought about yet.

Other than new tires and suspension settings, the A-Spec is all cosmetic. I would also say just get the Type S and find a spoiler.

TYT2004020337893_PV.jpg

Hmm, altho I recall you weren't a fan of import trucks, the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner was something I was considering (X-Runner or TSX...two different cars, but both appeal to me for some reason). 6 speed manual, 245hp/270tq V6 engine. Add a TRD supercharger and your in the 300 range. They are saying around a 7 second 0-60, with at least a second shaved off with the S/C.

a truck would be cool...but later on down the road. i'm still young so i'm still looking for a sporty little car, you know?

not trying to say you're old or anything frankie. :p

i'm going to stop by my acura stealership tomorrow and pick up some more literature (for my parents), then drop by my insurance place to see what insurance would be on one. i'm betting it will be a crap load, which is the only things holding me back from getting a s2000.

honda 2000 is nice.. rsx -s is nice. man, its all up to you dog. how much are you guys welling to shell out? im not into sports cars anymore but if i had the money and wanted to buy a car thats affordable to the "avg joe," id go with a honda s2000.

ever thought of buying a used cl-s? to be honest, any sports car you buy will own you on insurance. you have to wait until your 23 before they stop breathing down your neck. if you read my post awhile back, i now have 2 cars (tl & cl). insurance aint a thing for me since i dont get ticketed too often and im 26. my little brother wants the CL so i might transfer my name over to him. im going broke for real..

oh yeah, my dad has a 03 tacoma and that crap drinks gas like water!! he has the 4 banger tacoma too but i think its a 2.7 liter though so thats prob why.

I looked up some info on the RSX, you add in the A-Spec upgrade package anytime down the road on the RSX..more than likely not too long after..but none the less you don't gotta buy it with the A-spec package, you can just add it on later. hope the info is useful for yur decision

you mean welcome *back* to the family...right?

i haven't come home with one yet. i'm considering leasing a 2004 rsx-s though. the dealership says i can lease one for $207 a month (after taxes), which is a good deal. i'm just not sure about leasing. i have never kept a car for over a year (i sold the civic around the 1 year ownership point though)...but i think i'd be ok with keeping the rsx for 3. my insurance would go up $301 per 6 month period (about $50 a month for insurance) so the cost to me to own the rsx-s would be $257 a month since my parents pay insurance (and they told me that if it goes up anymore i'd have to pay the difference.)

anybody have any thoughts about leasing a car? pro's and con's? i don't think i could keep the mileage under 15k a year, but thats not a problem because at the end of my leasing period i'd probably just sell it and pay the lease off...keeping the extra as down payment money for my next car (or just keep the rsx and pay it off if i like it.)

i need some advice because, off hand, i don't know anybody who has leased a car.

The A-Spec does nto have new suspension.

front, side, and rear lips

spoiler

17" wheels w/ new tires

strut tie bars

A-Spec badging

no interior changes at all

$5000

Yeah it does SSR, they lowered it changing the suspension in it. I think they lowered it approx 1", says in the tech specs and advertisements. Anyways..non-relevance. Looks like a RSX-S is what he's gonna get! Sweet! :thumbsup:

i thought the a-spec came with lower, stiffer suspension? doesn't really matter, its too much money.

i'm going to try to make a deal with them on the floor model i think...its a 04 rsx-s with a-spec package and all. gonna see if i can get it for the price of a reguluar rsx-s since its the floor model. i doubt they'll go for it, but its worth a try right?

ssr...you know a lot more about dealerships than me. do you think i can make a deal on the floor model?

I know you weren't asking me, but yes you can, my buddy got a couple grand off the Floor model S2000, so it is possible. Just depends who you negotiate with...and if yur throwin down cash of course..that always makes a difference.

I know you weren't asking me, but yes you can, my buddy got a couple grand off the Floor model S2000, so it is possible. Just depends who you negotiate with...and if yur throwin down cash of course..that always makes a difference.

thats cool, all input is very welcome. :thumbsup:

i just asked ssr because his dad owns a gm dealership...or something like that.

yeah and go in the dealership all ragedy looking. wear sandals! leave your dockers at home and wear your dickies :laugh: oh and make sure you ask a lot of questions that way they know they're dealing with a knowledgable person. they wont pull a fast one on ya..

A-Spec is the same as FP...both add cosmetic stuff, yet also add stiffer springs and shocks.

TOV article on the RSX A-Spec (back when it was called FP): http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=69621

Better handling, can never go wrong with that...especially if you have no clue how to balance out your own suspension.

ANYHOW, I can't believe your going for a third car. I haven't even gotten past my first. HAHAHA...

ANYHOW, I can't believe your going for a third car. I haven't even gotten past my first. HAHAHA...

well, not my first car (only lasted a few months), but the crx is my second car and it's still around... same with my third car (the del sol) :p .

You know when I first saw pics of the WRX I thought it was gay cause it was a four door. Then when my friend got his, I realized how un-gay it really was! Every little mod you do makes it faster and faster. Yeah it may be a four door but people who know respect that car imensly, people who still don't know about it and think it's a dumb four door cry when they get owned by a "family car"!

Hey I was in a WRX with three other roughly 200lb people when it showed a trans up what was up. At that time all it had was a removed resonator, HKS catback exhaust and an Apexi boost controller!

I say the WRX!

I guess the question is, do you want to own...or be owned....The choice is yours!

Archived