HEAD REBUILT!! :)

JesseCuster

So its been a while since i've posted anything up here figured i'd go ahead and update. My del sol has been out of commission for a few months to get my head rebuilt. One problem has run to another, but i finally have the sol back in my garage so im hoping things will go a bit smoother than they have been. First, for some reason it took a month to get the head back from the shop rebuilding it, the i couldn't get the bolt out of the crank shaft, and then the guy whose house i was keeping it at and who was helping me had to move so it was put on hold for a few more weeks. and now i can't get the crankshaft to turn at all. Im thinking the middle two pistons are siezed in there somehow so i have pb blaster sitting in the middle cylinders as im typing this. replaced the water pump already and getting ready to throw the intake mani on the head right quick just to make it seem like i have had a productive day. luckily i've got all the replacement parts i need already here so i dont need to wait for shipping. i've got all new gaskets to so i will be replacing them along the way as well as timing belt of course. believe thaats all i know for now, but i will keep updating. but i will leave ya'll with this picture i just took of what i have left to do, any encouragement or tips or things to keep in mind are welcome.

you replaced the headbolts right? maybe paint your vc while its off. and is pb plaster safe to use on the inside of a motor? other than that hope all goes well

i did not replace the head bolts, not sure its necessary, and all i heard from people is use either pb or brake cleaner. BUT, just got the pistons going again, able to turn the craankshaft now, so hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here :)

replaceing the headbolt would have been a smart thing to do. iv heard alot of back and forth on it but not 100% sure. iv heard of people useing the original ones but torquing them down 5lbs more with success. and iv heard that theyve reused them and ended up needing a new headgasket with the new headbolts. arps run about 116ish and are reuseable. i believe the oem headbolts are stretchbolts or something. someone corrrect me if im wrong.

i really would like to replace them, unfortunately, i spent all the monies i had on the $500 head rebuild, then the gasket set, water pump, radiator. And i know a little know can save you a lot later, but i simply just dont have enough. I marked each bolt so i know where it came from so i hope that helps. being a waiter and a college student trying to work on a car sucks lol

might have one in the shop, ill get back to ya tonight (gotta dig through the parts bin, yes I have bins, as in 50 gallon tupperware totes)

• 3 months later...

its been a while i know, but the car is still sitting in the garage lol. i got way to busy with more important matters, however, i have some free time now so im going to go ahead and get it fixed up. had some problems with my tensioner pulley, if anyone can help me out with that it would be greatly appreciated. basically, i was getting the timing belt put onj and i got the tensioner pulley on and everything set up but realized that i had forgotten to put a plastic piece on that fits in behind the cam gears and when i went to take the tensioner pulley off it was stuck. ended up having to cut it out. not quite sure how it is suppose to go up there if i had put it on wrong, but the way i had it the spring that goes with it wasnt really doing anything. so a good push in the right direction would be great, diagrams would be better :)

good job on keepin up posted. always nice to know how things are goin on somethin like that. get the manual from sebby. hes got the oem factory manual that is better than the haynes or anything else tbh.

Archived