My new Garage!

lastresort576

So a buddy who's building a VW type-3 square back and does custom motorcycles as well and I are partnering up to open a repair/custom fab shop in the near future. The owner's of the building have the front half for a cabinet place and seem to be quite awesome with wanting to help us figure out how to be successful, and we remind him of his partner and self 15-years ago. Here's a few pix of the inside. The shop has a bathroom, Remnants of a shower, eye wash station, exhaust fan, heat, a mezzanine what will be a chill zone, and provisions for a 2-post lift that we might be able to get for short money..The foot print is aprx. 1,650sq ft. for $1k/month(property taxes included)..1st month free.

We've also got free access to an impound lot, dumpster, and a huge parking lot that the owner gave us permission to use for a local car show.

What do you guys think?

184912_630984874585_49402556_35069457_1019520_n.jpg

185989_630986037255_49402556_35069471_816433_n.jpg

181672_630984839655_49402556_35069455_4815147_n.jpg

180008_630984859615_49402556_35069456_47679_n.jpg

... she already told me that we can't live in a garage :(

I beg to differ. I have seen some great apartments built out in the upstairs of large garages.

1650sf for $1000?

Might be me or maybe it's just the local economy but that seems high - but rural Ohio is WAY different then the east coast so pay no attention to me.

For me id love to buy an old military base (theres a bunch of old military fabrication buildings, 10 tripple bays, full 15on overhead crane that runs the legnth of the building, and its next to an old abandoned airfrield, all for 1.5mil. You could run a helluva shop outa that place, complete with drags/autox/road coursing. Not to mention It still has the old commanders base house (3 story 5bed 3 bath 2car garage)

Cant say no to that.

damn, i just got a house and wanna trade... don't tell shari, she already told me that we can't live in a garage :(

haha, well congrats on buying a house man!

I beg to differ. I have seen some great apartments built out in the upstairs of large garages.

1650sf for $1000?

Might be me or maybe it's just the local economy but that seems high - but rural Ohio is WAY different then the east coast so pay no attention to me.

Actually for here in MA on a main road (rt.6/28) and with it's size, the space overall is quite cheap. The space should be at least another $500+ more a month.

But yeah we're pretty stoked on doing this. A third guy might come in on it as well seeing as how we have plenty of space. Which will help drop the cost each person has to put up dramatically...The shop's name is going to be: '11th Hour Industries llc.'

I'm just hoping that we can get adequate business to make enough money to the pay rent, utilities, etc..And maybe get a lil profit to put into tool's and what not.

We'll see..If all goes well we're looking at moving in 3/1.

Im going to be fabbing up a X brace for the roof (open of course!) since I have a spare targa top :D

one thing im going to look at doing tho when I do paint is figuring out a way to stiffen the chassis between the front and rear, and add some torsional resistance as well.

Build me a traction bar with a light/brush gaurd cheap... im just in the planning stages of it :)

Basically if you've got a design we could go of that. My buddy does the majority of the fab work, while I for the most part stick to repairs lol.

nope, uhaul installed it, it was a bolt up affair, i think they had to drill a few bolt holes and notch the bumper (very slightly)

What'd that run you ball-park? I've been thinking about a tire trailer

Im going to be fabbing up a X brace for the roof (open of course!) since I have a spare targa top :D

one thing im going to look at doing tho when I do paint is figuring out a way to stiffen the chassis between the front and rear, and add some torsional resistance as well.

Hmm, like an x-brace to toss in there and lock in like a stock roof but open to retain stiffness? That actually sounds like a Great idea to me, I'll have to take a look at doing so myself...Also yeah I've been wanting to make an H-type brace for the bottom of the car to tie the front and rear together too kinda like the one's flyinmiata makes. Having the lift will make that a possible reality.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been kinda slow going, cleen up has been insane and it's not even done yet... Today I just started to bring my tools to the shop and build a work bench..Got half way through finishing the bench then called it quits for the night. But my buddies have brought most of their stuff in and here's a pic.

189850_205586932788268_122600984420197_898045_6494192_n.jpg

'66 ford fairlane with a 302 & '73 vw square back..laying pan.

196997_10150432456330615_679770614_17381681_1409765_n.jpg

i think you guys need a medic for work accidents and all around designated sexy guy to represent you.

im that guy. im willing to make hard choices, even sacrifices for the cause, just dont mess with the hair...

seriously...

good luck with it all man. im stoked for ya and waiting to see what comes rolling out of that bay door.

i think you guys need a medic for work accidents and all around designated sexy guy to represent you.

im that guy. im willing to make hard choices, even sacrifices for the cause, just dont mess with the hair...

seriously...

good luck with it all man. im stoked for ya and waiting to see what comes rolling out of that bay door.

Hopefully for the most part I've got the first aid on lock down for the most part having gone to school to be an x-ray tech and all..

But yeah thanks man this garage is going to let me get my own projects done when I want to work on them and not be dictated by the weather and sunlight. And hopefully start making some cash as well.

First on the list for me is to get my camry and del sol's all squared away..then to tear into my old MGB-GT and get that thing up and cruising again like it should be. My current boss has also approached me about building/restoring some type of old and huge car like a caddy that is a convertible..Sounds like it could be promising if I can find a shell in decent enough shape.

Here's what I've been working on currently that I just finished tonight. I'm by no means anything that even remotely resembles a carpenter but....I'm pretty frickin happy with this work bench. At some point before I actually start working on it and getting it all greasy, I plan on painting it.

199986_10150433750805615_679770614_17394042_6708810_n.jpg

pics as promised... oh and those parts are a d-series, 2 d trans, 1 b trans, winter suspension, and a mound of other stuff (one room of the basement is full and my parents attic still is loaded with stuff :p oh and more outta the picture...

th_IMG_20110219_203435.jpg

th_IMG_20110219_220711-1.jpg

th_IMG_20110219_220701-1.jpg

pics as promised... oh and those parts are a d-series, 2 d trans, 1 b trans, winter suspension, and a mound of other stuff (one room of the basement is full and my parents attic still is loaded with stuff :p oh and more outta the picture...

th_IMG_20110219_203435.jpg

th_IMG_20110219_220711-1.jpg

th_IMG_20110219_220701-1.jpg

haha nice.that certainly is one hell of a honda pile..and I want Shari's sol.

But yeah the back 'frame rail' of my bench is a 2x6 screwed into the studs with 4" screws and the 3/4" plywood is screwed down on top of the 2" section in the back. At some point I may brace the leg's on the outside with a 2x4..but for now I'm just gonna see how this holds up since it doesn't even slightly wiggle. The back legs are also screwed into the plywood and the rear 2x6 up against the wall.

i need to take a shot of my garage haha, the whole corner of it is just tool boxes, transmissions, torn down blocks, spare parts, my engine stand, cherry picker hahaha.

Archived